• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for a pressing anectdote . . .

104 posts in this topic

I recently re-purchased a book from a board member that I had sold to him last year at some time. When I received the book, I was shocked to see that it had been visibly pressed (poorly, I might add, as the evidence of pressing on the BC was alarming). This is not a complaint about the member/seller (as the issue was resolved amicably), nor is it a denunciation of pressing by professionals (which I personally oppose) but rather a de facto :o

An otherwise high grade book was pressed by an amateur in an attempt to improve its grade, solely because of all of the pro-pressing arguments made by other board members here. This is a clear example of why pressing, on the whole, and manipulation in general should not be an endorsed practice here or in the hobby. Unfortunately, "kids get burned" :sumo:

The book is literally a shadow of its former self and its back cover bears pressing marks (ridges) similar to what you see on shirts returned from the dry cleaners (uh, bad dry cleaners, that is). The cover stock and interior pages are clearly damaged, without question. Obviously, pressing by untrained collectors is not a good idea, but an unfortunate by-product of the pro-pressing debate.

Oy vay! :cry:

Pics?

Scans?

(shrug)

Nope - wouldn't convey the damage. Anyway the identity of the book and member are not the point of this thread. :(

Um why isn't it? If a board member is selling badly pressed books I for one would like to know who it is. Wouldn't you?

Of course you would.

You could have just made a thread stating your feelings about untrained people being motivated to press books because the other guy is doing it, but you didn't.

Pics?

Scans?

(shrug)

Nope - wouldn't convey the damage. Anyway the identity of the book and member are not the point of this thread. :(

If the damage is is as bad as you say it is, you should be able to capture it. Also, we shouldn't be able to tell the issue from the back cover.

The book is literally a shadow of its former self and its back cover bears pressing marks (ridges) similar to what you see on shirts returned from the dry cleaners (uh, bad dry cleaners, that is). The cover stock and interior pages are clearly damaged, without question.

poor book.

Exactly :sumo:

No, poor people who might buy books from this boardie because you are not man enough to call him out. The damage to the bhook is already done, but this person will keep on cranking them out unless called out for it.

What happened to you David?

There really isn't anything wrong with experimenting on books. However, it should be books that have little value or collectibility. No one is born a professional.

Were you the one that let MasterCPU work on his Hulk 181? hm

There really isn't anything wrong with experimenting on books. However, it should be books that have little value or collectibility. No one is born a professional.

Nope, though I did send a book to the pen*s guy to get restored.

Nope, though I did send a book to the pen*s guy to get restored.

Was he adding a pen*s or taking one away?

poor book.

No, poor people who might buy books from this boardie because you are not man enough to call him out. The damage to the bhook is already done, but this person will keep on cranking them out unless called out for it.

Freudian slip, perchance? :whistle:

poor book.

^^

poor book.

^^

So schatze, do we have a name?

poor book.

This type of comment is so stoopid in so many ways that it doesn't even deserve a response.

Kenny, you are an atagonistic troll, and someone who really needs to look at himself, and the reasons you choose to express your frustration the way you do. :foryou: