• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time for a pressing anectdote . . .

104 posts in this topic

So what do you put between the book and that "pad" to prevent this sort of thing from occuring? I recall in the old pressing thread something about release paper, but it doesn't seem like a simple sheet of paper is going to keep that pattern from being imprinted on the book (shrug)

I bet a GA sized Gerber fullback would work nicely. Besides, you don't want to put too much pressure on the book, and pancake it. Sounds like what happened to the book mentioned (in addition to not using release paper) is too much heat, pressure, and duration in the press.

Not that I'd know anything about that sort of thing. :whistle:

But if David and Steve don't care they bought damaged goods then I won't either.

I most certainly care and that is why I asked if you could identify the patterned impression on the back of the books I got from bhhooks. I appreciate you sending me the digital pics of the pad which confirmed that which I was 99% certain of. :foryou:

I internally debated making the matter public... so I was relieved to see others did the heavy lifting. :grin:

This isn't a pressing versus non-pressing thread. It's a cautionary tale about what can happen when pressing is not done properly and how collectors can identify books that have been poorly pressed, that is, damaged unnecessarily.

This thread is disturbing and disappointing on so many levels and is about as useful as a bag of cholera. Buried in the Grading and Resto subforum, no one is going to read it. :(

Perhaps this thread is buried in a quiet subforum but I'm glad the thread exists. I'm still waiting for a book from Hooks thread, darn national border, and I'm wondering what my book will look like.

This thread is disturbing and disappointing on so many levels and is about as useful as a bag of cholera. Buried in the Grading and Resto subforum, no one is going to read it. :(

Perhaps this thread is buried in a quiet subforum but I'm glad the thread exists. I'm still waiting for a book from Hooks thread, darn national border, and I'm wondering what my book will look like.

Waffle House

:eek:

Waffle House

Is there syrup?

:)

Waffle House

Is there syrup?

:)

No syrup for you!! :makepoint:

Waffle House

So instead of pressing pancakes, Hooks presses waffles?

:roflmao:

As much as I enjoy the passion everyone has for the hobby lets end this OK guys?

bhooks has been outed and all parties that purchased books from him have been educated/alerted to what is going on.

On a seperate note...anyone who has a book like this please let me know. If I can correct any of the damages, or you feel it could be corrected let me know and I will work on them for you.

p.s. If Jesus were to make an appearance I can think of a bazillion other venue's he could choose doh!

If I hadn't wandered into this thread I would have never known. I bought the previously PLOD ASM #54 with restoration removed. It doesn't have any of the pressing issues, but I now wonder what else is up with the book that I wasn't told about. :boo:

This isn't a pressing versus non-pressing thread. It's a cautionary tale about what can happen when pressing is not done properly and how collectors can identify books that have been poorly pressed, that is, damaged unnecessarily

Shouldn't it be more like a cautionary tale of people trying their hand at resto, screwing it up and then selling the book without dislosure? What can happen if pressing is not performed properly is irrelevant if the 'presser' keeps the book.

Hooks is an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Don't you think that's a little harsh? He and David resolved their issue. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but he isn't an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Hooks is an individual_without_enough_empathy.

Don't you think that's a little harsh? He and David resolved their issue. He may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but he isn't an individual_without_enough_empathy.

I've been a Hooks apologist for years, god knows, and I could care less about professional pressing, but amateurly roasting books and selling them without disclosure is a move. A real big time move.

Why no response from bhooks here? And how does the lack of response equate to the theory in the forum scams thread that linked to this one that bhooks is done here or whatever was said?

(shrug)

Oh, and pressing is not restoration so, you know, you can't complain when you have a waffled back cover.

I've been a Hooks apologist for years, god knows, and I could care less about professional pressing, but amateurly roasting books and selling them without disclosure is a move. A real big time move.

So this thread brings up a BIG question for me about how many other amateurs are out there pressing books? And more directly, how many other FORUM MEMBERS here are pressing books on their own? (shrug)

I've seen the threads here describing how to press books, but assumed that was a thread started primarily to educate board members more about the facts of pressing... not to teach them how to press a book on their own. doh!

BTW, what constitutes a "Professional" when it comes to pressing? The only professional I currently know of who presses books is Matt Nelson. For the record, I've had books pressed before, but only by Matt. I don't think I'd ever try to press a book on my own.

Why no response from bhooks here? And how does the lack of response equate to the theory in the forum scams thread that linked to this one that bhooks is done here or whatever was said?

(shrug)

Oh, and pressing is not restoration so, you know, you can't complain when you have a waffled back cover.

Mmm, waffles...

waffles1.jpg

-slym

BTW, what constitutes a "Professional" when it comes to pressing? The only professional I currently know of who presses books is Matt Nelson. For the record, I've had books pressed before, but only by Matt. I don't think I'd ever try to press a book on my own.

I imagine anyone who has accepted money in exchange for any service could call themselves a professional at it, but it's not always recommended.

-slym

(shrug)

It isn't "restoration." It's "damage." The book didn't originally have a waffled back cover. Calling his hack-like attempts to press books "restoration" is like saying that accidentally sitting on a book and crumpling it up is restoration.