• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA books & PGX

45 posts in this topic

Just a few recent observations to anyone with PGX-graded GA books in their collection or considering buying one without being able to inspect it first.

1) I was looking at a very nice early GA book that was PGX graded 8.0, blue label. Upon closer inspection, it was very clear that one of the staples had been popped, at least partially, and that there was glue on both staples.

2) 3 of us were standing at someone's booth and asked to see a PGX graded GA book. When we were handed the book we all said, "this has color touch". Blatant and amateur. Blue label.

3) A while ago I bought a PGX graded GA book. As with all of my GA slabs I cracked it out first thing, and was surprised to see that the inner well was only sealed on 3 sides (the left hand side being left open). Not only was this side open, but the open portion was poorly cut or torn, and was jagged. The book could have easily suffered damage from this. I've looked at several other "big" GA books in PGX slabs since then and have come across several others that are the same way. I assume that the outer slab isn't quite big enough to accomodate the wider GA books if they were sealed, or the sealing machinery they have doesn't extend that far.

At any rate, if you have them, make sure the spine is OK. If you don't have them, don't take their resto check for anything. (not ground-breaking news, I know, but it's worth repeating)

yup...........a PGX graded book has to be treated like a raw book.....their assigned grade and resto check are for the most part, worthless. With me, it goes a step further.....when I see a PGX graded book for sale, I question the seller --- what are they trying to hide? .... why didn't they use CGC?

It places the seller (IMO) under a "guilt by association" cloud of suspicion. (even though they may have really done nothing wrong)

a PGX graded book has to be treated like a raw book.....

It's actually significantly worse than a raw book, since you can't inspect anything but the cover unless you crack it open before buying it.

There is potential for some serious reslabb and flip potential if there is in fact no resto. I noticed recently that a Tec #33 just sold on Comiclink but if it was in a CGC holder you could probably score and extra $3k-$4k. I guess if you know who owned the book in the past that is one way to guage the risk.

I cracked a GA PGX book that was supposed to have slight color touch. Searched and searched for the color touch and couldn't find it. I brought the book to Wondercon this year, had Matt Nelson take a look at it, and he couldn't find the color touch either. So did PGX mess up and find color touch when there wasn't any? I'm more inclined to trust my eye backed up by the opinion of a restoration expert.

My experience has been that dealing with PGX is like dealing with a low feedback seller on ebay. It's a risk/reward. I am a relative newbie to comics and sent a few of my dad's books to PGX early on just to try them out. Now I know the books are all from the same OO collection, but the PGX graded ones have a stigma and I know I've gotten less for some than for similarly graded CGC ones. All I can reassure people is that there is definitely no resto on the books. The grade, however, is up for debate. It's a shame, too, cause I sent some nice ones to PGX. I really just didn't know any better. Here are some examples (some no longer in my possession :) ) Is it ok to post these in here?

StrangeWorlds2-1.jpg

GhostComics2-1.jpg

4809f6f1.jpg

ClaireVoyant3.jpg

FourColor159-1.jpg

My experience has been that dealing with PGX is like dealing with a low feedback seller on ebay. It's a risk/reward. I am a relative newbie to comics and sent a few of my dad's books to PGX early on just to try them out. Now I know the books are all from the same OO collection, but the PGX graded ones have a stigma and I know I've gotten less for some than for similarly graded CGC ones. All I can reassure people is that there is definitely no resto on the books. The grade, however, is up for debate. It's a shame, too, cause I sent some nice ones to PGX. I really just didn't know any better. Here are some examples (some no longer in my possession :) ) Is it ok to post these in here?

StrangeWorlds2-1.jpg

GhostComics2-1.jpg

4809f6f1.jpg

ClaireVoyant3.jpg

FourColor159-1.jpg

This is a great example of "perception is reality"......I read about the Provenance of these books you have shown and provided here, and my eyes see unrestored OO comics. Post these same exact books on eBay without the Provenance, and not be a credible member of these Boards, and I say to myself "yeah, right.....sure they're unrestored"

FourColor159-1.jpg

I might be willing to take a chance if you decide to rid yourself of this monstrosity.

This was the double-whammy for me. I sold it as a low feedback seller AND it was PGX. Apparently, FC #159 PGX 6.0 + low feedback seller = $138.05.

I cracked a GA PGX book that was supposed to have slight color touch. Searched and searched for the color touch and couldn't find it. I brought the book to Wondercon this year, had Matt Nelson take a look at it, and he couldn't find the color touch either. So did PGX mess up and find color touch when there wasn't any? I'm more inclined to trust my eye backed up by the opinion of a restoration expert.

i've had a few books come back from cgc "cleaned" when mattie tells me they absolutely were NOT cleaned. i'm with you, i trust said restoration expert as well.

FourColor159-1.jpg

I might be willing to take a chance if you decide to rid yourself of this monstrosity.

This was the double-whammy for me. I sold it as a low feedback seller AND it was PGX. Apparently, FC #159 PGX 6.0 + low feedback seller = $138.05.

i sold a restored pgx cap 5 in 5.0 for $25 over blue guide. i did have good feedback rating, tho'.

i've had a few books come back from cgc "cleaned" when mattie tells me they absolutely were NOT cleaned. i'm with you, i trust said restoration expert as well.

My understanding of things is that Steve B felt a lot of books were cleaned that the others weren't so sure of. That being said, cleaning is one of the hardest things to tell, and you can certainly do it and have it be almost undetectable.

Just a few recent observations to anyone with PGX-graded GA books in their collection or considering buying one without being able to inspect it first.

1) I was looking at a very nice early GA book that was PGX graded 8.0, blue label. Upon closer inspection, it was very clear that one of the staples had been popped, at least partially, and that there was glue on both staples.

2) 3 of us were standing at someone's booth and asked to see a PGX graded GA book. When we were handed the book we all said, "this has color touch". Blatant and amateur. Blue label.

3) A while ago I bought a PGX graded GA book. As with all of my GA slabs I cracked it out first thing, and was surprised to see that the inner well was only sealed on 3 sides (the left hand side being left open). Not only was this side open, but the open portion was poorly cut or torn, and was jagged. The book could have easily suffered damage from this. I've looked at several other "big" GA books in PGX slabs since then and have come across several others that are the same way. I assume that the outer slab isn't quite big enough to accomodate the wider GA books if they were sealed, or the sealing machinery they have doesn't extend that far.

At any rate, if you have them, make sure the spine is OK. If you don't have them, don't take their resto check for anything. (not ground-breaking news, I know, but it's worth repeating)

When it's in the slab there's limited ability to inspect the comic for other than the obvious resto. Unfortunately, there's no easier way to discourage me from buying a book than to put it in a PGX slab.