• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA books & PGX

45 posts in this topic

Just a few recent observations to anyone with PGX-graded GA books in their collection or considering buying one without being able to inspect it first.

1) I was looking at a very nice early GA book that was PGX graded 8.0, blue label. Upon closer inspection, it was very clear that one of the staples had been popped, at least partially, and that there was glue on both staples.

2) 3 of us were standing at someone's booth and asked to see a PGX graded GA book. When we were handed the book we all said, "this has color touch". Blatant and amateur. Blue label.

3) A while ago I bought a PGX graded GA book. As with all of my GA slabs I cracked it out first thing, and was surprised to see that the inner well was only sealed on 3 sides (the left hand side being left open). Not only was this side open, but the open portion was poorly cut or torn, and was jagged. The book could have easily suffered damage from this. I've looked at several other "big" GA books in PGX slabs since then and have come across several others that are the same way. I assume that the outer slab isn't quite big enough to accomodate the wider GA books if they were sealed, or the sealing machinery they have doesn't extend that far.

At any rate, if you have them, make sure the spine is OK. If you don't have them, don't take their resto check for anything. (not ground-breaking news, I know, but it's worth repeating)

Great post. And lest we forget, PGX has missed very blatant trimming in the past.

So my Hulk 1 PGX 2.0 probably has color touch, replaced staples, glue, and has been trimmed? Is that what you are saying? :baiting:
you forgot cleaned and pressed lol

So what's the story behind PGX? Everybody says they suck. Are they trying to pull a fast one, or just incompetent/sloppy?

I didn't know about the PGX stigma -- I just knew that CGC cases look a heck of a lot more professional. I got a Suspense #8 that was PGX graded 5.0 and now I'm considering sending to CGC to re-slab. I am a little afraid of what will come back, though.

So what's the story behind PGX? Everybody says they suck. Are they trying to pull a fast one, or just incompetent/sloppy?

I didn't know about the PGX stigma -- I just knew that CGC cases look a heck of a lot more professional. I got a Suspense #8 that was PGX graded 5.0 and now I'm considering sending to CGC to re-slab. I am a little afraid of what will come back, though.

just do a "search" on the boards, you will find TONS of horror stories about PGX

Just look at the PGX 9.0 Action 1.

It looked like a solid 5.5 to me!

lol I wouldn't go "that" low, but it was a 7.5 at best, with the resto

Take a look at my 6.5 next to the pgx 9.0...It is not as nice as the 6.5..there is a side by side comparrison of the two if I remember correctly.Of course I am what do you call it?[[bias]]] ........but that side by side will back my claim up.

How ya been Rick?

I will do a search to hear PGX horror stories. But I am curious, is there something behind why they suck so bad? I mean, is there indication the people running the business are trying to "get ahead" in the game by giving higher-than-deserved grades, or something?

Any cases of verified fraud? Who runs PGX and how did it get started? Just a collector starting a side-business and making mistakes? Or some huckster who doesn't care about quality?

I am all for healthy competition. It would stink if there was only one company doing grading, and therefore having a monopoly. But it is unfortunate if the other company establishes such a bad reputation that for all intents and purposes, there is only 1 company anybody takes seriously.

just do a "search" on the boards, you will find TONS of horror stories about PGX

I did a search and "PGX" brought up no results, as if the search term were blocked. (?)

Take a look at my 6.5 next to the pgx 9.0...It is not as nice as the 6.5..there is a side by side comparrison of the two if I remember correctly.Of course I am what do you call it?[[bias]]] ........but that side by side will back my claim up.

How ya been Rick?

hey P... been enjoying the summer...'bout you!

I agree, I would take your copy in a NY minute over the PGX copy...

I did a search and "PGX" brought up no results, as if the search term were blocked. (?)

It does appear to be blocked as a search word, though, as Rick has noted, that would only serve to protect the reputation of PGX.

It does appear to be blocked as a search word, though, as Rick has noted, that would only serve to protect the reputation of PGX.

doesn't oldguy have a link in his sig line... do a search of user oldguy and that might shed some light (sorry, I am too lazy to do it)

i have about 5 pgx books, which probably puts me about 50 or more to 1 in my cgc to pgx ratio, so there's no doubt which provider i prefer.

but i want to know if you guys are getting some little stipend from cgc to promote this [or others] comparison thread. there is little doubt we could start a series of pictures of laughably overgraded cgc books [the famous action 1 2.5 ring a bell?]. i have a young allies 1 that came back 3.5 purple with too much glue at a staple. matt took off the glue, and a hunk of paper came off with it. now you can see the first page thru the hole. came back blue and 4.5, tho' clearly in lesser grade with the paper gone, and jumped an increment in pq. etc....

i ask only because i want to get on that gravy train--tell me who i contact and i'll be on pgx like stink on tim tebow.

i have about 5 pgx books, which probably puts me about 50 or more to 1 in my cgc to pgx ratio, so there's no doubt which provider i prefer.

but i want to know if you guys are getting some little stipend from cgc to promote this [or others] comparison thread. there is little doubt we could start a series of pictures of laughably overgraded cgc books [the famous action 1 2.5 ring a bell?]. i have a young allies 1 that came back 3.5 purple with too much glue at a staple. matt took off the glue, and a hunk of paper came off with it. now you can see the first page thru the hole. came back blue and 4.5, tho' clearly in lesser grade with the paper gone, and jumped an increment in pq. etc....

i ask only because i want to get on that gravy train--tell me who i contact and i'll be on pgx like stink on tim tebow.

oh don't start this early with the Tebow worshiping...you will have plenty of time on the drive home at 1am 10/10 (thumbs u

No gravy train, I have my qualms with CGC as well. I don't own a single slabbed book, and I think their grading is getting progressively worse, not to mention the detrimental effect of label chasing.

But my point in this thread was primarily to let people know about big GA books and the PGX slab that can actually damage them. i.e. if you've got one, crack it out ASAP.

The resto/grading issue is just gravy.

I don't think this thread is about a comparison of the quality of the services but rather the integrity of the service providers. I've read and heard enough about PGX to be pretty certain they are "less than angelic." Unfortunately you can no longer search for the word "PGX" so I'm unable to even provide examples from here on the boards.

I don't think this thread is about a comparison of the quality of the services but rather the integrity of the service providers. I've read and heard enough about PGX to be pretty certain they are "less than angelic." Unfortunately you can no longer search for the word "PGX" so I'm unable to even provide examples from here on the boards.

adam, when i opened this thread the first thing i saw was stuff about "my cgc 6.5 is in better shape than the pgx 9.0." that is a comparison of grading quality, and it was that kind of thing that my post was directed to. i do not begrudge anyone their opinion on pgx, and as stated, i have very few books in their holders.

adam, when i opened this thread the first thing i saw was stuff about "my cgc 6.5 is in better shape than the pgx 9.0." that is a comparison of grading quality, and it was that kind of thing that my post was directed to. i do not begrudge anyone their opinion on pgx, and as stated, i have very few books in their holders.

Buttock's initial posting was not in any way about comparison so the fact that a1kid (our resident 24x7 Action 1 poster) started a comparison meme about, surprise!, his copy of Action 1 can't be laid at his feet and is hardly grounds for a broad insinuation of "pay for play." Perhaps a more judicious wording would be more in the usual spirit?

but i want to know if you guys are getting some little stipend from cgc to promote this [or others] comparison thread.