• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hmmm, should our Playboy's and Sports Illustrateds go in this forum for now?

67 posts in this topic

No.

Seriously, the title of the forum is COMIC magazines. I don't think the general opinion would be that a Warren CREEPY would be even closely equivalant to a PLAYBOY.

Sorry! :cool:

Where do you suggest we discuss our Playboy's and Sports Illustrated magazines... the Water Cooler?

I don't have any books back yet, but I know when I receive them I will want to show them off. :banana:

I just sent in a few 1954 and 1955 Playboys that I was told were never read and only carefully opened by me to ensure the pages were all intact. I would be interested to know where to show off these slabbed mags as well. hm

Incidentally, tame is an understatement for these early issues. :)

Post them on here - they can't be anymore risque than some modern comic covers.

here is my copy of SI # 1

si1f.jpg

along with the COA

si1cert.jpg

the cover date is 364 days prior to my arrival into this world. I bought two of these each of which came in a binder.

si1binder.jpg

No.

Seriously, the title of the forum is COMIC magazines. I don't think the general opinion would be that a Warren CREEPY would be even closely equivalant to a PLAYBOY.

Where do you suggest we discuss our Playboy's and Sports Illustrated magazines... the Water Cooler?

I don't have any books back yet, but I know when I receive them I will want to show them off. :banana:

I just sent in a few 1954 and 1955 Playboys that I was told were never read and only carefully opened by me to ensure the pages were all intact. I would be interested to know where to show off these slabbed mags as well. hm

My books were finally graded. Overall, I am happy with the grades since I pulled four books at 9.0 or higher. :grin: I will post them once they are in my possession.

Playboy v2 #9 September 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.2 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 9.2

Playboy v2 #7 July 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.2 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 9.2

Playboy v2 #11 November 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.0 WHITE 9.0

Playboy v2 #8 August 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.0 WHITE 9.0

No.

My books were finally graded. Overall, I am happy with the grades since I pulled four books at 9.0 or higher. :grin: I will post them once they are in my possession.

Playboy v2 #9 September 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.2 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 9.2

Playboy v2 #7 July 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.2 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 9.2

Playboy v2 #11 November 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.0 WHITE 9.0

Playboy v2 #8 August 1955 HMH Publishing Co. Newsstand Edition Universal 9.0 WHITE 9.0

Very nice grades !! (thumbs u :applause:

That #1 in 9.8 is pretty sweet :applause:

Sucks about the labels on the others :(

Overall, I would say a pretty good first submission, it's always a learning experiance with a new format (thumbs u

Nice magazines, especially the Sports Illustrated #1! :o

Have you figured out why the other mags didn't grade higher? From your scans, I couldn't see much wrong with them. (shrug)

I think removing the labels took off quite a bit... not sure what else caused them to grade as low as they did.

I should probably call and see if I can get grader notes. hm

anone have a sense of how many 9.0 plus first year Playboys are out there? It seems like a book one could be happy with a FVF, but not if slabbing will show them to be plentiful in HG.

:gossip: They're listed on the Census

Vol 1 #1 has one 6.5 showing.

OK, here are pictures from my first batch of SI books. I don't subscribe anymore, but if I did, I would know removing the subscription label is a no-no, as evidenced by the grades I received.

Nice sale of your SI #1 CGC 9.8 on Ebay tonight!! :o

Was that your SI #1 9.8 that just sold on ebay last week?

there was a nice bidding war in the last few minutes that took it from 900 to 2300+

I wonder how many of those books that were sold in binders like mine would get 9.8?

Was that your SI #1 9.8 that just sold on ebay last week?

there was a nice bidding war in the last few minutes that took it from 900 to 2300+

I wonder how many of those books that were sold in binders like mine would get 9.8?

Yep, that was mine! It was also one of the binder copies.

I was really happy with the closing price :-)