• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Just got a puppy!!!

88 posts in this topic

My kids talked me in to a puppy......the dog (Jack Russel) destroyed my new furniture and carpet in just a few months so the dog had to go. Then months later we went to the flea market and they saw a puginese they just had to have...I said the price was two high so the seller dropped the price $100 bucks which gave me virtually no avenue of escape since I will do anything for my kids.

Fast forward a year and the dog is still not house broken and I am going to move out of my apartment into a house with no carpet

:o

Not housbroken! Yikes. Ive owned dogs my whole life. Housebreaking should take no more than 6 to 8 weeks. I couldnt stand having a dog soiling my house, just me though. I have a method that Ive used on everything from my Doberman Pinchers, to Canadian Timberwolves ( great pet ). I always confine the animal to one room. Period. I cover the entire floor with visquine ( plastic sheets ) so that no urine can get into the carpet. Just wipe it up with amonia. Its unsightly for a while but saves the floors and the smell. An animal cage is a must. Has to be good sized to. This is where they sleep, and call home. They may go in there a few times but wont lay in there own mess. Its makes them start to hold it. Someone has to be there all the time. Catching them in the act and throwing them outside is a must and they get the message. They have to be taken out constantly, and will get the message. Soon they will enter the cage and sleep in there without any coaxing. Its like there own house. I currently have a Katahoola ( about 85 lbs ) and Lab mix. The Katahoola actually binks the doorknob with its nose to let you know ( open the fricking door, I gotta go ). The other one tries and puts you in a trance by staring at you. Neither pet ever goes in the house, ever. Just my 2c good luck to everyone bringing up a puppy.

DRX

Everything DRX said, with the exception of putting plastic everywhere, is how I trained my Jack Russell. Having the cage/pet carrier is key.

Sorry your JR didn't work out, but they are not apartment dogs at ALL. They've got crazy energy, and if they don't work it off they get destructive. Give one a pet door and a fenced-in yard of a decent size, and I pretty much guarantee it won't trash the house.

Here's my critters. One's a purebred JR, the other a rescue Chihuahua/terrier mix. Both fat and sassy.

About 5 years ago:

297944_1144885834.jpg

Getting older.

chillin-1.jpg

These are the first 'small' dogs I've ever had, before it was always big outside-type dogs.

These are the two dogs in my life - my brother's miniature Dachshund (named Tyler ??? ) and my big Lab/German Shepard/Chow mix, Aja (pronounced like the continent.)

14 pounds and 94 pounds - believe it or not, the little one does NOT rule the roost! He bows to her majesty...

1000860.jpg

-slym

These are the two dogs in my life - my brother's miniature Dachshund (named Tyler ??? ) and my big Lab/German Shepard/Chow mix, Aja (pronounced like the continent.)

14 pounds and 94 pounds - believe it or not, the little one does NOT rule the roost! He bows to her majesty...

1000860.jpg

-slym

I got Two mini Dachshunds there man, they rawk!

(thumbs u

People that don't own dogs don't really get to see them at their best I think.

I can sit on the dining room floor and ask her if her toy is in the basement, and she instantly reacts by running down in the basement to get it.

Dogs rock.

This was my lab on her first howling night in my home. :cloud9:

rachel081206.jpg

Great pics, folks! :golfclap:

Here's a sofa-pic of my Lady's (aka: our) fat Dog, Michelob! :grin:

Mick.jpg

Well, not that fat, maybe 60lbs... it just feels like a lot more! :/

* He must sit by us, or on us at ALL times! lol

1000860.jpg

-slym

Oh man that could be a calendar shot!

Oh man my little puppy got electrocuted last night (looks like he will be OK we think). He bit right through the electric cord on the lamp and shorted it out. :cry: Let out the most godawful yelps I've ever heard in my life. My wife and I freaked out and took him to a late night clinic... his breathing was messed up and his heart rate was crazy. He looks to be OK now but we had a bad scare. :cry: I was emotional the whole night. Has this happened to anyone else here? Any advice? For now we've physically separated him from any wires but I don't know that I'm going to feel comfortable ever leaving him alone in a room with wires again.

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

We had a dog that always chewed through the Christmas lights. It got so bad that we began to think he enjoyed it. Kind of like Bender jacking on in Futurama. Never did the dog any damage, but we finally broke him of it or he grew out of it.

When our pup got close to the tree, we would zap him with the water bottle. If you see him approach the wires, give him a good spritz. If you leave him home alone outside of a carrier, then unplug all the cords. If he does it again, you'll find the evidence, but at least he won't get popped.

Y'all ain't gettin' the message here! Get a pit bull!!!

So long as you crop the tail or not worry about a droopy tail for a few days, no worries! They get really excited and will sometimes break their tail by whacking it too hard against a wall or a table or something. It'll droop for a day or two and maybe end up slightly crooked but it's cute. :D

They have a drive to please their master that is so strong, and they are very protective of children especially. Loyal like nothing, and tend to get along really well with people, so long as their master is there. The second night we had Sparky, he actually scared somebody away who was apparently trying to break in.

Little lighter than 80 to 100, around 50 to 80. But they're STRONG and they LOVE to play <3 I feel like I'm running an advertisement P: Whatever. Pit bulls don't get enough love <3

There is no way that a pit bull would live in the same house as a child of mine. I like them...but I dont trust them around small children. Nor do I trust German Shepherds, Rottweilers and many other smaller dogs with a tendency towards aggression. You have already made one cautionary statement in this advertisement for pit bulls.

Protective...maybe. but I see no reason to put a child at undue risk. I think they are great dogs but not around children.