• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Just got a puppy!!!

88 posts in this topic

Cute little dog. What type(s) of dog is it?

Thanks guys. :) Its half shih tzu half boston terrier. So its marked like a boston but has fur like a shih tzu. I'm going to go home at lunch and play with the little guy for a while :applause:

Bronty....that is so funny. My wife and I have been talking about a possible puppy in our future. My kids are soon to be 5 and 2...so we have a little while to wait if we want. I have been holding off on a pet, but realize that it is inevitable and that I will lose this battle someday. My wife is wanting a Shih Tzu, and I have been wanting a Boston Terrier. You got the best of both worlds with yours.

My paw-paw had a Boston named Noomie when I was a little boy. A great dog he was.

Congrats!

what a coincidence! :) Tiny has brothers and sisters you know......... I'm just sayin'............ :)

We narrowed it down to either a German Shepperd or a Golden Retriever

Get a pit bull :D

(thumbs u

Best dog I ever had. I'll get another one one day, just not ready yet.

Here is a pic of Rocky and my cat Sandi.

Rocky died of cancer last year after a brave year of treatments. Everyone at the vet still remembers him. Getting all misty now just thinking about it. :cry:

81698.jpg.94f25b359759c7aa0cb7c41a42cd89c0.jpg

Here's my suggestion, Nik. It doesn't shed, doesn't make noise, doesn't destroy the house.

Fully grown, and only weighs 3 pounds.

My guardian... :cloud9:

Dice buddy, in my neck of the woods when I go outside for a casual smoke after 11 PM, I hear the ungodly sound of some small animal cornered and attacked/killed by Coyotes. That noise chills your bones and it happens at least once a week.

Small dogs are cute but I still see the scars of my neighbors little dog accross its head when a Coyote tried to grab it. Luckily, he has another dog, a tad bigger that saved its life that night.

We narrowed it down to either a German Shepperd or a Golden Retriever

Get a pit bull :D

(thumbs u

Best dog I ever had. I'll get another one one day, just not ready yet.

Here is a pic of Rocky and my cat Sandi.

Rocky died of cancer last year after a brave year of treatments. Everyone at the vet still remembers him. Getting all misty now just thinking about it. :cry:

We've had Sparky since I was about I guess nine? yeah. He's 11 now. He's got cataracts, arthritis in his hips, and his brown around his face is turning all white. But he would do anything for His Girls (my sisters and I :) ) We know he doesn't have a whole lot more time, but he's a happy boy and has a pretty darned good life. I know I'm going to have a ton of dogs when I get my own place. I have such an extra soft spot for Pit Bulls though...I've already informed my boyfriend that we will have several. :D

This is Sparky with our cat Little Girl when we first got her. xD We had another cat that got along with him so wonderful; he would just open his mouth and put Spike's entire head in it! It was funny =) He was really upset when Spike passed away.

81699.jpg.344bd809a456cc96e004dbaa9f52507b.jpg

My kids talked me in to a puppy......the dog (Jack Russel) destroyed my new furniture and carpet in just a few months so the dog had to go. Then months later we went to the flea market and they saw a puginese they just had to have...I said the price was two high so the seller dropped the price $100 bucks which gave me virtually no avenue of escape since I will do anything for my kids.

Fast forward a year and the dog is still not house broken and I am going to move out of my apartment into a house with no carpet

:o

Not housbroken! Yikes. Ive owned dogs my whole life. Housebreaking should take no more than 6 to 8 weeks. I couldnt stand having a dog soiling my house, just me though. I have a method that Ive used on everything from my Doberman Pinchers, to Canadian Timberwolves ( great pet ). I always confine the animal to one room. Period. I cover the entire floor with visquine ( plastic sheets ) so that no urine can get into the carpet. Just wipe it up with amonia. Its unsightly for a while but saves the floors and the smell. An animal cage is a must. Has to be good sized to. This is where they sleep, and call home. They may go in there a few times but wont lay in there own mess. Its makes them start to hold it. Someone has to be there all the time. Catching them in the act and throwing them outside is a must and they get the message. They have to be taken out constantly, and will get the message. Soon they will enter the cage and sleep in there without any coaxing. Its like there own house. I currently have a Katahoola ( about 85 lbs ) and Lab mix. The Katahoola actually binks the doorknob with its nose to let you know ( open the fricking door, I gotta go ). The other one tries and puts you in a trance by staring at you. Neither pet ever goes in the house, ever. Just my 2c good luck to everyone bringing up a puppy.

DRX

Here's my suggestion, Nik. It doesn't shed, doesn't make noise, doesn't destroy the house.

Dice buddy, in my neck of the woods when I go outside for a casual smoke after 11 PM, I hear the ungodly sound of some small animal cornered and attacked/killed by Coyotes. That noise chills your bones and it happens at least once a week.

Small dogs are cute but I still see the scars of my neighbors little dog accross its head when a Coyote tried to grab it. Luckily, he has another dog, a tad bigger that saved its life that night.

Dude...this is an INside dog. :gossip:

I've always been partial to bigger dogs. Our friends have a chihuahua and it's broken 2 of its legs already. Once jumping off a couch and once when it jumped out of the arms of their 4 year old. And our neighbors have a small, mixed-breed dog that just bugs me. Yips and yips all the time. In all fairness, my sister-in-law has a little wiener dog and he's awesome.

Me, I like my dogs to be in the 80-100 pound range, runners that like to fetch and that I can take in the woods and whose bark is loud and ominous enough to make strangers wary.

Y'all ain't gettin' the message here! Get a pit bull!!!

So long as you crop the tail or not worry about a droopy tail for a few days, no worries! They get really excited and will sometimes break their tail by whacking it too hard against a wall or a table or something. It'll droop for a day or two and maybe end up slightly crooked but it's cute. :D

They have a drive to please their master that is so strong, and they are very protective of children especially. Loyal like nothing, and tend to get along really well with people, so long as their master is there. The second night we had Sparky, he actually scared somebody away who was apparently trying to break in.

Little lighter than 80 to 100, around 50 to 80. But they're STRONG and they LOVE to play <3 I feel like I'm running an advertisement P: Whatever. Pit bulls don't get enough love <3

Congrats on the new dog Bronty! :)

My mom just bought a Chihuahua/Dashund. She's 2 months old and her name is Candy. First time in our family we dont have a pure Chihuahua. All we have in our family is Chihuahua's.

Y'all ain't gettin' the message here! Get a pit bull!!!

So long as you crop the tail or not worry about a droopy tail for a few days, no worries! They get really excited and will sometimes break their tail by whacking it too hard against a wall or a table or something. It'll droop for a day or two and maybe end up slightly crooked but it's cute. :D

They have a drive to please their master that is so strong, and they are very protective of children especially. Loyal like nothing, and tend to get along really well with people, so long as their master is there. The second night we had Sparky, he actually scared somebody away who was apparently trying to break in.

Little lighter than 80 to 100, around 50 to 80. But they're STRONG and they LOVE to play <3 I feel like I'm running an advertisement P: Whatever. Pit bulls don't get enough love <3

I have friends that have pitbulls and they are good owners but those dogs are sketchy. Bred to fight and kill. Not family dogs.

My family has had two golden retrievers and one german shepherd. Can't go wrong with either. Goldens do seem a little friendlier though with children. The goldens have a loud enough bark that it would scare a potential burglar.

I have friends that have pitbulls and they are good owners but those dogs are sketchy. Bred to fight and kill. Not family dogs.

My family has had two golden retrievers and one german shepherd. Can't go wrong with either. Goldens do seem a little friendlier though with children. The goldens have a loud enough bark that it would scare a potential burglar.

Good owners don't raise sketchy dogs. Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean they know how to have a pet or are a good owner. They're not bred to fight OR kill, unless it's a backyard breeder who intends to fight them. Anyone who does that is worth less than a putrid, recycled bag of rotting, fermenting person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed juice. I hate people who do that.

The breed is completely misunderstood. It was initially created to herd bulls. Like, giant male cows. Need to have a strong dog to do that, and a loyal dog. Total family dogs. It's a shame that people hate a breed without understanding it first.

However, I do agree on Germans and Goldens. Goldens need a lot of exercise and play, and Germans need to be raised properly as well.

Nice pics, Dan! He just looks like a pile of fur with eyes. lol

Good owners don't raise sketchy dogs. Just because someone is your friend doesn't mean they know how to have a pet or are a good owner. They're not bred to fight OR kill, unless it's a backyard breeder who intends to fight them. Anyone who does that is worth less than a putrid, recycled bag of rotting, fermenting person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed juice. I hate people who do that.

The breed is completely misunderstood. It was initially created to herd bulls. Like, giant male cows. Need to have a strong dog to do that, and a loyal dog. Total family dogs. It's a shame that people hate a breed without understanding it first.

However, I do agree on Germans and Goldens. Goldens need a lot of exercise and play, and Germans need to be raised properly as well.

I don't hate pitbulls. I just don't trust them. I've seen too many pitbulls with strange tempermants. I believe they are banned in some places around the world for good reason. Too many incidents of them attacking people.

Congrats on the new dog Bronty! :)

My mom just bought a Chihuahua/Dashund. She's 2 months old and her name is Candy. First time in our family we dont have a pure Chihuahua. All we have in our family is Chihuahua's.

Cool (and thanks btw :) ). Post the pics if you got 'em!