• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard (Shamus) Buys Paradise Comicon

49 posts in this topic

Toronto Comicon has just been purchased by Gareb Shamus / Wizard. Interesting news indeed. The press release from the e-mail I got:

"New York, NY (June 24, 2009) - Gareb Shamus, CEO of New York based Wizard Entertainment, announces today that he has purchased the Toronto Comicon, a show that has been consistently awarded The Best International Comic Book Convention (non-USA) by ComicBookConventions.com, for the last five years.

"We've always had a strong following in Canada, so buying the Toronto Comicon is something that allows me to give back to our fans. These attendees are known to be serious collectors and comic industry followers," said Shamus. "I am thrilled to offer the guests, celebrities, artists, dealers and exhibitors to our Canadian audience for the very first time."

Peter Dixon, owner of Paradise Conventions and former owner of the Toronto Comicon, will still be intimately involved in the show production, his friendly manner ensuring the continuation of the trademarked relaxed atmosphere of the show.

"Wizard brings greater industry recognition and star power to the show. I'm excited about having the fans get this bigger experience," said Dixon.

The next show dates have not been set yet, but the newly managed Toronto Comicon is expected to debut in 2010. "

-Rob-

Is this a sign they are conceding Chicago? (And shifting their personnel's attention to Toronto?)

This would mean they wouldn't necessarily have to lay off even MORE staff I guess...

Is this a sign they are conceding Chicago? (And shifting their personnel's attention to Toronto?)

This would mean they wouldn't necessarily have to lay off even MORE staff I guess...

Except that I heard from Hobby Star that DC and Marvel are going to be exhibiting at the Fan Expo in the big con at the end of summer.

???

An interesting historical note about the Paradise Convention and Hobbystar. (From 2007)

Two years later, Wizard takes over the Paradise Con.

http://sequential.spiltink.org/2007/08/toronto-convention-shocker-kevin-boyd.html

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2007/08/24/canadian-comics-shocker-boyd-to-hobbystar/

Except that I heard from Hobby Star that DC and Marvel are going to be exhibiting at the Fan Expo in the big con at the end of summer.

???

And that's certainly true for this summer. But there doesn't appear to be a Wizardworld Toronto (assuming that'll be the name) until next year. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. I'm curious what this does to ticket prices, table prices, and vendors too.

-Rob-

???

And that's certainly true for this summer. But there doesn't appear to be a Wizardworld Toronto (assuming that'll be the name) until next year. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. I'm curious what this does to ticket prices, table prices, and vendors too.

-Rob-

Well Louise and I had a long lunch last Sat. afternoon with Peter Dixon in Philly. He noted that there won't be a con this year but there will be one next year. He made no mention of WW buying the con.

We'll see if Toronto can support two big cons...Hobby Star is already doing what WW has been doing in the US, meaning that they have already turned their con into a media event with all sorts of attractions.

R.

???

-Rob-

Well Louise and I had a long lunch last Sat. afternoon with Peter Dixon in Philly. He noted that there won't be a con this year but there will be one next year. He made no mention of WW buying the con.

We'll see if Toronto can support two big cons...Hobby Star is already doing what WW has been doing in the US, meaning that they have already turned their con into a media event with all sorts of attractions.

R.

This was my immediate thought also. I'm purely speculating, but I'm assuming the Paradise con would now be a higher-priced event, which means higher table prices also. And I think people might only want to do one show like that. So then there's the question of the established name vs the new shiny thing. (Even though technically the Wizard show wouldn't be "new," since it's the old Paradise show, I imagine it'll be a totally different type of event and hence-- "new.") This might be a boost for the local convention scene the first couple of years and then a direction might emerge after. But then the "new" show might be a bigger draw for non-locals who recognize the Wizard name so it could end out being two entirely different crowds too.

All things point to next summer being exciting. Will it be good or bad? Dunno. Wish I had a fast-forward remote just to satisfy my curiosity now.

I also wonder, if Wizard does fold as some have predicted, what that would mean also. It would be tragic after my wasting all this time speculating if Wizard folded so there was no show by then anyway. lol

-Rob-

uhh, given how they have managed to screw up the conventions which they now run, not sure I understand this.

Well, just figuring that they are losing the battle in the US, trying in a different country was a better move than say trying to throw one in San Diego.

???

Yes, Marvel and DC are going to be exhibiting at Fan Expo Canada this year. Conversely, they aren't exhibiting at Wizard World Chicago.

i think its a good thing and a bad thing , now they will be fighting to get big names , this is bad because in the end they will prob be with in a few months of each other and well some of us can only afford to go to one convention a year. It is a good thing because now bigger names might have a chance of coming, names that hobbystar could not get will now come. I have been to every fanexpo for the last 8 year i ll admit i will prob go to this one next year to see how it is , compare them but i think if any one thinks this is going to be any thing like paradises were there not even close. This con will be just like hobbystars , same over crowding , same things that people hated about it. Another question is where will they have it, guarunteed Hobbystar will try every thing to not let them in the convention center so the question is where will they go.

I'm looking forward to it for once ontario comic fans are getting what they deserve lots of choices .

Another thing i'm with every one else look at the names of the cons, its not wizard world chicago any more its chicago comic con , the wizard convention brand is dead or dying so this will most likely stay Toronto comiccon

This sounds like great news for Toronto comic fans if we will finally get greater recognition as an international comic convention destination.

Maybe even CGC will cross the border now to attend.

CGC was at the Hobbystar Fan Expo last summer.

That was a big surprise if you know the history between the two cons.