• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norman Osborn at it Again (Spoilers)

52 posts in this topic

But sheesh, can't writers come up with stories without introducing this Don Juan Norman Osborn getting these twenty somethings?

It's pure transference - fat old farts like Joe "Tubby" Q and J. Michael Straczynski certainly ain't getting any hot 20-somethings (at least for free) so they concoct some bizarre storyline where their male ego fantasies are sated.

Don't believe me? Go check out some interviews with JMS on the Gwen-Norman BS, and how angry he gets about people not believing that old farts would get hot young chicks all the time. lol

But sheesh, can't writers come up with stories without introducing this Don Juan Norman Osborn getting these twenty somethings?

It's pure transference - fat old farts like Joe "Tubby" Q and J. Michael Straczynski certainly ain't getting any hot 20-somethings (at least for free) so they concoct some bizarre storyline where their male ego fantasies are sated.

Don't believe me? Go check out some interviews with JMS on the Gwen-Norman BS, and how angry he gets about people not believing that old farts would get hot young chicks all the time. lol

You may be on to something there. hm

It does seem to cheat the accomplishment of reaching issue 600 since they've sped it up so much. I do think they had it as a bi-monthly mag years ago (late 80s/early 90s) but I'm not 100% positive. I might not be a regular follower anymore, but I DO buy trade paperbacks so it's not like I'm not a potential customer, but this type of writing just guarantees I'll be passing over the modern ASM title for something else which sucks because Spidey is easily my favorite character to read about.

It does seem to cheat the accomplishment of reaching issue 600 since they've sped it up so much. I do think they had it as a bi-monthly mag years ago (late 80s/early 90s) but I'm not 100% positive. I might not be a regular follower anymore, but I DO buy trade paperbacks so it's not like I'm not a potential customer, but this type of writing just guarantees I'll be passing over the modern ASM title for something else which sucks because Spidey is easily my favorite character to read about.

Yes, they were bi monthly many years ago, but not for more than 6 months. In fact I did some researching, and this may shock some Amazing Spider-man fans. Here is how many issues per year they made .

1963-7, 8 if you count AF 15

1964-12

From 1965 to 1988 they continue to make 12 issues a year.

1989-15 issues

1990-17 issues

1991-14 issues

1992-15 issues

1993-13 issues

1994-12 issues

1995-10 issues

1996-12 issues

1997-11 issues

From 1998 to 2001 they make 12 issues a year.

2002-10 issues

2003-13 issues

2004-13 issues

2005-12 issues

2006-12 issues

2007-7 issues

2008-31 issues!

2009-23 issues Were not even done with half the year!

It does seem to cheat the accomplishment of reaching issue 600 since they've sped it up so much. I do think they had it as a bi-monthly mag years ago (late 80s/early 90s) but I'm not 100% positive.

Going by blurbs on the covers, #305-310 were on sale twice a month (1988), and again from #368-373 (1992-93).

Don't forget Action Comics also sped up its numbering by going weekly for a while in the late '80s.

Yes, they were bi monthly many years ago, but not for more than 6 months. In fact I did some researching, and this may shock some Amazing Spider-man fans. Here is how many issues per year they made .

1963-7, 8 if you count AF 15

1964-12

From 1965 to 1988 they continue to make 12 issues a year.

1989-15 issues

1990-17 issues

1991-14 issues

1992-15 issues

1993-13 issues

1994-12 issues

1995-10 issues

1996-12 issues

1997-11 issues

From 1998 to 2001 they make 12 issues a year.

2002-10 issues

2003-13 issues

2004-13 issues

2005-12 issues

2006-12 issues

2007-7 issues

2008-31 issues!

2009-23 issues Were not even done with half the year!

I was too slow and your research is better than mine anyway! :applause:

So, I just finished reading ASM # 598 where it was revealed that Norman Osborn was the father of the baby that his son's girlfriend (fiancée to boot) is carrying. Of course, she is a goblin-serum altered baddy (named Menace).

Oh right, now the long rumored "Family Incest" storyline will be published. So no matter what gender this baby is, s/he will date one of Norman's kids (the twins) that he had with Gwen. Or maybe both! Lesbian incest, damn. As Family Guy's Herbert the Pervert says "Jackpot!".

(Marvel makes me as sick as this scenario).

Ok, posted this over here as I remember the ire of the whole "Sins Past" storyline in the Amazing Spider-Man.

So, I just finished reading ASM # 598 where it was revealed that Norman Osborn was the father of the baby that his son's girlfriend (fiancée to boot) is carrying. Of course, she is a goblin-serum altered baddy (named Menace).

I don't know, just seems like more Shock and Awe to me.

Trying to re-assert the male libido as the dominant public stereotype? Damn those "cougars"...

-slym

Here is hoping that the term "cougar" has a short shelf life. I am still holding out that the word "diva" will disappear from the face of the earth in the near future. Please God....make it so.

I don't acknowledge anything past ASM 400, which is a shame for an ASM fanatic like myself.

I am the same way, but with the X-Men. Once Uncanny goes past #300, it gets harder and harder to read.

-slym

Here is hoping that the term "cougar" has a short shelf life. I am still holding out that the word "diva" will disappear from the face of the earth in the near future. Please God....make it so.

Well, as long as "they" are referring to a female singer, I have no problem with them being called a diva. But any woman who is just popular???

(tsk)

And as for "cougar," I always thought that was REALLY older women going after young guys (55+ females.) A 40+ going after a 20+ is termed a "May-December romance" as far as I am concerned.

-slym (definition for diva )

Ok, posted this over here as I remember the ire of the whole "Sins Past" storyline in the Amazing Spider-Man.

I don't know, just seems like more Shock and Awe to me.

Trying to re-assert the male libido as the dominant public stereotype? Damn those "cougars"...

-slym

Were you refering to Spider-Man #583? The Romita cover says “Face it, cougars — you’ve just hit the jackpot!” in Peter Parker’s word balloon. This is also the “special tribute-to-dating issue". I saw that and did a doh!

AmazingSpider-Man583.jpg