• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book memories...Tell me why its so special.

15 posts in this topic

I was looking through some new books I have recently purchased and ran across Green Lantern/Green Arrow #100 (with the very young Airwave). I love this comic and its likely the reason I became a hardcore Mike Grell fan and a Hal Jordan disciple (there are no other GLs to compare)..

I remember reading this book over and over in the car while my parents drove us to someplace I cant remember. Probably camping or fishing or some amusement park. I know every panel of this book from front to back and its the one comic in my whole collection with the strongest link to my childhood. Its not a key issue and its not a high dollar issue but its certainly made an impact on me.

"X's and O'" *

*Hugs and Kisses

So what books hold a special place for you?

For a long while, before I finally hunkered down and bought a few copies - Hulk 181.

He was a Canuck and I lost that book (along with a ton of others, both new and old) right after I bought it during that infamous camping trip. Same with the original Spidey Clone Saga - lost all those too and they were my fave books at the time.

Early 90's Batman comics. My dad would buy comics in bulk at Costco and give them to me before I knew how to read, so whenever I come across any Batman comics from 90-92 I always get a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Avengers #104: One of the first comic books I can remember buying, by myself, with no parental intervention, right off the rack at a 7-11 in Camp Hill, PA. Great artwork, great story (the culmination of two-part Sentinels yarn), and--due to the confluence of Avengers and X-Men related plots and themes--a fantastic introduction to team books, and the breadth and depth of Marvel Universe, for a 7-year old kid.

That single book made me a Marvel fan for life (or at least until they started sucking in the mid/late '80s), and I still own my original copy of it to this day, which I've read countless times. I'll sell my AF 15 before I let that one go...

G.I. Combats from the early 80's. i remember going to 7-11 right off of martin blvd in baltimore when i was a wee pup getting that and only that once a month. when i would wait for the next issue i'd just buy a bunch of topps baseball wax packs hoping to get a eddie murray or ripken card. i don't really remember buying any other books at the time but i know i was into tanks after going to the war musuem at aberdeen proving ground and being able to sit in a tiger tank.

Avengers #104: One of the first comic books I can remember buying, by myself, with no parental intervention, right off the rack at a 7-11 in Camp Hill, PA. Great artwork, great story (the culmination of two-part Sentinels yarn), and--due to the confluence of Avengers and X-Men related plots and themes--a fantastic introduction to team books, and the breadth and depth of Marvel Universe, for a 7-year old kid.

That single book made me a Marvel fan for life (or at least until they started sucking in the mid/late '80s), and I still own my original copy of it to this day, which I've read countless times. I'll sell my AF 15 before I let that one go...

wow how long ago mikey? i don't even remember a 7-11 in camp hill (there is one in mechanicsburg)

j

wow how long ago mikey? i don't even remember a 7-11 in camp hill (there is one in mechanicsburg)

j

1972 or 1973...the 7-11 was so close to my elementary school (West Creek Hills) on Erford Road that it actually appeared to be part of the same plot of ground. Probably not legal by modern zoning standards, but it was HUGE boon for us kids: Slurpees (in superhero cups!), candy, trading cards, cheap rack toys...and comics! Good times...

Just the rush of going to an LCS when I was a kid, all those great books on the shelf, high grade SA stuff in the display cases. Bought an FF#195 with a killer cover and a great read. Still have a beat up TOS#40 I bought when I was about 10. The book was almost 20 years old at that time but it was just as much as classic then as it is now and was one of my first early SA purchases.

Looking back these many years, I'd have to say that the following books had the biggest impact on me; (all purchased by me off the rack - I still have 5 of the originals and picked up a beautiful showcase 4 about 6 years ago).

Showcase 4 - never fully understood the cover picture but the comic said "buy me" at Jimmie's candy store around the corner.

Flash 123 - the reintro of the original flash and the 2 earth story line were way cool.

Brave and the Bold 34 - had never even heard of Hawkman but those first 6 B&B issues were great and he became a fave of mine,

Showcase 34 - not so much for the Atom but for the picture of the original JSA inside.

FF 4 - the reintro of the Sub Mariner in a way cool way in the Bowery captured my young imagination.

Avengers 4 - much like FF 4 it just blew me away...

B&B 28 - Getting the DC gang together was a great idea...

And i have to include AF 15 as the last panel has stayed with me for almost 50 years now.....

That's about it for now......... :cool:

Looking back these many years, I'd have to say that the following books had the biggest impact on me; (all purchased by me off the rack - I still have 5 of the originals and picked up a beautiful showcase 4 about 6 years ago).

Showcase 4 - never fully understood the cover picture but the comic said "buy me" at Jimmie's candy store around the corner.

Flash 123 - the reintro of the original flash and the 2 earth story line were way cool.

Brave and the Bold 34 - had never even heard of Hawkman but those first 6 B&B issues were great and he became a fave of mine,

Showcase 34 - not so much for the Atom but for the picture of the original JSA inside.

FF 4 - the reintro of the Sub Mariner in a way cool way in the Bowery captured my young imagination.

Avengers 4 - much like FF 4 it just blew me away...

B&B 28 - Getting the DC gang together was a great idea...

And i have to include AF 15 as the last panel has stayed with me for almost 50 years now.....

That's about it for now......... :cool:

It helped that you were around at exactly the right time in comic history.... :preach:

Early on I was a Star Trek fan. My Granddad used to bring me something Star Trek everytime he came to the house. He brought me old Star Trek Comics and megos. I think he wanted a grandson..because I always got action figures and comic books or megos of some sort. Looking back it is kind of strange. When I was in elementary school I got hotwheels and sizzlers. One year he sent me a flyer by mail to pick out comic books I wanted to subscribe to. I got to choose three. I chose Avengers and Star Wars don't remember the third. He always brought me Star Wars action figures and toys after that with an occasional Super hero doll thrown in.

BUT I think I am a saver because my mom was a throwawayer. Whenever I got a new issue in the mail I had to throw out the old one. Occasionally I was able to squirrel one away somewhere but not often. My mom could find a speck of dust on a fly across the room. After I left home I only had one comic book left.

Avengers #4 turned me into the geek I am today. I blame it all on Stan and Jack. If not for Avengers #4 I would be selling insurance by day and watching TV in the evenings. Comic books would be Superman Family stuff from the early sixties, Archies and Classics Illustrated. They would be a dim memory. I would have never pursued an education in art. I would never have become an art teacher. I would however, have a bit of extra space in my house.

Detective 587 (Wagner, Grant, Breyfogle and Mitchell) was my start in comics as a teenager. I loved (and still love) that run of Detective and Batman by that team.

I remember reading about Jim Steranko in an issue of Comic Shop news when I was in my teens (probably around 1988 or 1989) and I went to my local comic shop and bought an issue of Strange Tales for a few bucks. I think it was issue 157, 161 or 163. When I opened it for the first time, the artwork really blew my mind. To this day, Steranko's work gives me a charge every time I see it. Since that time, I've been collecting every Steranko published work (comics, book covers, prints, posters, etc.).