• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

Agree with you both, 30 days is too long -- but if buyers and sellers were publicly "outed" after a week or two, there would be a lot more arguments, and this thread will get a whole lot longer!

If a seller took that long to ship something to me, or a buyer took that long to pay me (absent any reasonable communication), believe me, I'd be chomping at the bit to report them -- and this is not entirely a hypothetical. But at the same time, I can respect that the 30-day mark is an effort to find the balance of preserving a sense of community here.

I absolutely agree Jon...30 days is a pretty horrendous effort to pay for a book or ship a book. But what I think the 30 days establishes is the "horrendous" threshold if you will, thus qualifying someone to be placed on probation...even more so if the person is non-communicative and/or brings a pain-in-the-azz attitude about it to the person on the other end of the transaction... 2c

This about sums up the purpose. :sumo: As everyone knows, most books bought and sold here on the Boards are shipped and received within a week. :)

Agree with you both, 30 days is too long -- but if buyers and sellers were publicly "outed" after a week or two, there would be a lot more arguments, and this thread will get a whole lot longer!

If a seller took that long to ship something to me, or a buyer took that long to pay me (absent any reasonable communication), believe me, I'd be chomping at the bit to report them -- and this is not entirely a hypothetical. But at the same time, I can respect that the 30-day mark is an effort to find the balance of preserving a sense of community here.

I absolutely agree Jon...30 days is a pretty horrendous effort to pay for a book or ship a book. But what I think the 30 days establishes is the "horrendous" threshold if you will, thus qualifying someone to be placed on probation...even more so if the person is non-communicative and/or brings a pain-in-the-azz attitude about it to the person on the other end of the transaction... 2c

This about sums up the purpose. :sumo: As everyone knows, most books bought and sold here on the Boards are shipped and received within a week. :)

and even with internatonal shipping 30 days is plenty of time (thumbs u

Unless you used the old surface M-Bag.

Then it can take up to 12 weeks. :devil:

I wondered how long us UK residents should wait for a book from the States

No more than a month.

I made some significant purchases (at least for me) from someone who told me ten days after he got my paypal payment, that he didn't mail the books because "he had a life"...I'm sure he does, but it really made me stop looking at his threads.

rantrant

That's the goofiest excuse for not shipping in a timely fashion I've heard lately.

"Hi, just sent you immediate payment. I look forward to the books."

"Well, it's going to be ten days. I have a life!"

If you cannot take the time to ship out a book within the week under normal circumstances, don't sell until you can. Doesn't matter if you are a full or part-time dealer - it's about courtesy to fellow board members.

Sorry. That statement really didn't sit well with me.

The stuff I've shipped to UK usually gets in the buyer's hands in about 10-14 days is my experience. The real nightmare that I've experienced (or I should say the buyer) is shipping to France...I've only shipped there about 3 times but one time I sent the book/package normal and it took over 9 weeks for the person to get the book... :o

...we stayed in constant communication but it worried the out of me...

I made some significant purchases (at least for me) from someone who told me ten days after he got my paypal payment, that he didn't mail the books because "he had a life"...I'm sure he does, but it really made me stop looking at his threads.

rantrant

That's the goofiest excuse for not shipping in a timely fashion I've heard lately.

"Hi, just sent you immediate payment. I look forward to the books."

"Well, it's going to be ten days. I have a life!"

If you cannot take the time to ship out a book within the week under normal circumstances, don't sell until you can. Doesn't matter if you are a full or part-time dealer - it's about courtesy to fellow board members.

Sorry. That statement really didn't sit well with me.

I agree - tell us who it was Sharon.

If 30 days was the agreed time frame, then it is what it is.

Personally, once I'm paid, if the buyer does not receive his book (anywhere in the USA) in 3 days or less, I start to worry. But that's just me (shrug)

Me, too, and there really has to be extenuating circumstances for me to wait to mail something after 1 day. I just had someone take a year to finish paying me for some books and I mailed them the next day.

The problem is, some people think that because the probation list says 30 days, that waiting is OK.

Perhaps we should have suggested guidelines. Like don't put up a sales thread, unless you know you can mail the book within 3 days of payment.

Don't post a take it, unless you KNOW you can pay within 3 days (or have made other payment arrangements prior to posting).

When arranging time payments, please be advised the seller will require a 10% non refundable downpayment within 3 days (unless other terms are agreed upon in advance) Time payments must (or should) include a specific schedule, so there is no confusion.

When selling, buying, please be prepared to answer emails within 48 hours (unless you are hit by a truck)

I'm fairly easy going (in case no one has noticed) ...but after a while, you realize that there needs to be some kind of at least suggested standards, for the few space cadets that are just spinning around here.

Very logical guidelines Sha. For time payment deals the 10% non-refundable downpayment would ensure the buyer is serious and compensate the seller if the buyer backed out.

Thanks, Dave:) But I stole the 10% idea from someone else...a very logical boarder...

As for the 10 day person...he knows who he is, he didn't violate the 30 days, so I will not name him here, he just got on my last nerve with that statement...(which is kind of tough to do, lol;)

Yep - even from Australia. I think 20 days is the longest anything I've shipped has taken, and that was to Greece. The US is more like 10-12.

Greggy's packages to me always seemed to take more than 30 days. Maybe I need to add him to the probation list. hm

Thanks, Dave:) But I stole the 10% idea from someone else...a very logical boarder...

As for the 10 day person...he knows who he is, he didn't violate the 30 days, so I will not name him here, he just got on my last nerve with that statement...(which is kind of tough to do, lol;)

Feel free to send PMs.

Very sad indeed. Sorry you had that experience.

I had a guy do this on eBay, but his rule was 10 BUSINESS DAYS until he could get around to shipping my books. He was going on tour, and would "get back to me when he got back to me."

Gotta love solid customer service. (thumbs u

Feel free to send PMs.

:applause:

Operators are standing by. And I would bet who it was, but then we would have to do this in public.

Wait a minute! Contest idea. Sharon, how about we all PM who we think it was, and the winner wins a prize? Free 10-day delayed shipping.

Greggy's packages to me always seemed to take more than 30 days. Maybe I need to add him to the probation list. hm

Stop cheaping out and pay for air mail.

Seriously?? Not only did I agree to give you time payments, but I also gave you a price discount of almost $75 from the agreed price. I think you can be a little patient considering... or you can just send the original agreed amount...