• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
20 20

36,203 posts in this topic

So no one else believes that there should be some guideline rules for these private transactions? Right in this thread recently was another newbie that was called out but he wasn't aware of this list either. We can be proactive here and make up a short few rules that the buyer or seller can link so everyone involved knows the consequences.

That point aside, I think a certain rigid stance should be maintained when it comes to this guy.

:takeit:

The problem is you are over-complicating the whole process. If :takeit: is posted, either in the sales thread or in the PM, then the deal is agreed to. Nothing else needs to be said, no more steps need to be added. It just doesn't get much clearer than this. :facepalm:

That's exactly what I said, emoticons have a clearly designed purpose, there's no weasel room.

Actually there is, you can delete or modify the pm...so you'd also need to remember to quote the response.

I edited my response down to the point joecgcmaniac was making that I totally agree with.

To your point, anyone who would edit to alter a written agreement is untrustworthy, nothing more need be said. (shrug)

Keep the emoticons firm, the misunderstandings come mostly from situations where people use words where interpretations can differ.

Ya think:)?

That's the problem...we have this list full of untrustworthy people....and going over the rules and making them more complex is not going to fix the fact that we are going to have some problem children people here, because problem people are going to find away around any rules..

Edited by skypinkblu

So no one else believes that there should be some guideline rules for these private transactions? Right in this thread recently was another newbie that was called out but he wasn't aware of this list either. We can be proactive here and make up a short few rules that the buyer or seller can link so everyone involved knows the consequences.

That point aside, I think a certain rigid stance should be maintained when it comes to this guy.

:takeit:

The problem is you are over-complicating the whole process. If :takeit: is posted, either in the sales thread or in the PM, then the deal is agreed to. Nothing else needs to be said, no more steps need to be added. It just doesn't get much clearer than this. :facepalm:

That's exactly what I said, emoticons have a clearly designed purpose, there's no weasel room.

Actually there is, you can delete or modify the pm...so you'd also need to remember to quote the response.

I edited my response down to the point joecgcmaniac was making that I totally agree with.

To your point, anyone who would edit to alter a written agreement is untrustworthy, nothing more need be said. (shrug)

Keep the emoticons firm, the misunderstandings come mostly from situations where people use words where interpretations can differ.

Ya think:)?

That's the problem...we have this list full of untrustworthy people....and going over the rules and making them more complex is not going to fix the fact that we are going to have some problem children people here, because problem people are going to find away around any rules..

Not to mention, that when there is more and more information added to the rules, people's eyes will just glaze over and they won't bother to read the rules anyway. How many newbies have posted sales threads here in the last 6 months where they broke nearly every rule about posting in the sales forum? If they can't be bothered to read the rules when it comes to starting sales threads, then they sure as heck won't bother reading or adhering to the rules when it comes to buying something off the forums :makepoint:

How much time should pass before a buyer posts an issue with a seller on the probation thread when an item has not been recieved and PMs are blocked and am unable to locate said seller on any thread (I believe I may be on ignore member status)? I even emailed them directly thorough the paypal email address and he admitted that he had yet to mail the purchased item (this was nearing the end of the 5th business day since payment had been made). Now said seller does not respond to subsequent emails via the same email address. Should seller be named or am I jumping the gun? Honestly, I thought that this site would rid my life of all the feeBay B.S., but this is worse. I have already recieved items that I purchased days later. :frustrated:

How much time should pass before a buyer posts an issue with a seller on the probation thread when an item has not been recieved and PMs are blocked and am unable to locate said seller on any thread (I believe I may be on ignore member status)? I even emailed them directly thorough the paypal email address and he admitted that he had yet to mail the purchased item (this was nearing the end of the 5th business day since payment had been made). Now said seller does not respond to subsequent emails via the same email address. Should seller be named or am I jumping the gun? Honestly, I thought that this site would rid my life of all the feeBay B.S., but this is worse. I have already recieved items that I purchased days later. :frustrated:

Don't I atleast deserve to know a ship date?

Question/Issue:

A relatively new boardie approached me and asked if I would sell him a book. We began to talk via PM, which then lead to text messages being exchanged. A deal was reached for the book and payment was expected within two weeks of said deal.

Now the buyer stated that he cannot pay for the book and said that I should sell it to someone else who may be interested because he "can't" afford it.

What's my solution here?

Question/Issue:

A relatively new boardie approached me and asked if I would sell him a book. We began to talk via PM, which then lead to text messages being exchanged. A deal was reached for the book and payment was expected within two weeks of said deal.

Now the buyer stated that he cannot pay for the book and said that I should sell it to someone else who may be interested because he "can't" afford it.

What's my solution here?

hm its almost worth outing the person to see if others have befallen the same fate... you know see if this is a pattern, then everyone can know to not take his buy offers seriously...

was it a book you had for sale? Or was it an offer on something in your collection?

Should seller be named or am I jumping the gun?

:ohnoez:

5 days and you want to add someone to the probation list.

You are absolutely jumping the gun...

Chill. Out.

Cool, thanks, I am new here and I was asking a question to honestly learn the answer. I am used to eBay, so quickness in shipping is important to people, I have made very few transactions so I just wanted to know. How long is too long for an item to have not been sent after payment? I am not a dealer and by no means do I move a lot of books but I can honestly say that I mail everything I have ever sold on eBay and the one item here, the following business day. Do I expect that from everyone? No, but seriously, how long does it take to pack up a single book?

Chill. Out.

Cool, thanks, I am new here and I was asking a question to honestly learn the answer. I am used to eBay, so quickness in shipping is important to people, I have made very few transactions so I just wanted to know. How long is too long for an item to have not been sent after payment? I am not a dealer and by no means do I move a lot of books but I can honestly say that I mail everything I have ever sold on eBay and the one item here, the following business day. Do I expect that from everyone? No, but seriously, how long does it take to pack up a single book?

Also, I forgot to mention that NO i don't want to add someone's name to the probation thread. Did I say that?

Don't expect next day shipping here. Sure, some folks are very quick with it, but we understand that everyone has important personal obligations outside of these boards. You should get your books and within a reasonable time frame (week or 2), all the while waiting patiently and content knowing you WILL get your books.

Chill. Out.

Also, I forgot to mention that NO i don't want to add someone's name to the probation thread. Did I say that?

You're in the "probation discussions" thread and talking about "outing" a seller for waiting 5 days to ship a book. So yeah, you pretty much said that...

Don't expect next day shipping here. Sure, some folks are very quick with it, but we understand that everyone has important personal obligations outside of these boards. You should get your books and within a reasonable time frame (week or 2), all the while waiting patiently and content knowing you WILL get your books.

Thanks, I guess thats all I really wanted, being new here I really don't know what to expect. However, I am nervous by nature, so when it is virtually impossible for me to contact the seller, combined with the unknown shipping time frame allotment on this sit, also combined withthe fact that I have made only a few friends on this site in the past week since I signed up that I didn't know who or where to ask if I was freaking out or not. Now I know. :ohnoez:

Chill. Out.

You're in the "probation discussions" thread and talking about "outing" a seller for waiting 5 days to ship a book. So yeah, you pretty much said that...

Read it again, I believe that I simply asked if that was what I was supposed to do or not.

Chill. Out.

Read it again, I believe that I simply asked if that was what I was supposed to do or not.

Welcome to the boards. Most sellers here ship quickly but not all.

You mention PMs are blocked and you're unable to locate the seller on any threads. To see if the seller has been active on the boards find his name in your shared PM or in the user list which is between 'my stuff' and 'calender' on this site's menu bar. Left click his name and left click 'view posts'.

Welcome to the Boards.

Did you buy the book in a sales thread, or privately in a PM? Did you by any chance check the person's posting history or kudos thread? If you have not done that yet, it might help you feel better if you make some inquiries first.

and find you are dealing withan established member,

When you say you are blocked, does that mean you have tried to PM the seller and you got a message saying you were blocked?

Normally, I wouldn't get too worried for at least a full week-10 days. Although many of us, try to mail things immediately, sometimes people are at shows, traveling, etc.

To answer your other question about how long you need to wait, If you look in the market place, you will see a thread with a list of the rules for the probation thread, here is a link. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4949997#Post4949997

Chill. Out.

1. Welcome to the boards. This is a great community of comic book hobbyists.

2. Remember this isn't ebay (which exists 100% for commerce), its a collection of hobbyists, who (in most cases) do their best to get things in the mail, or on the other side get things paid for, in a timely manner. But being just hobbyists we all have competing priorities (home, work, health, travel etc) so we cant all be as timely as we would like. As long as the seller is being responsive, and trying to get things done be patient. Not everyone lives in a big city with a PO, has time in every day to make it to a Post Office, or has plenty of shipping supplies on hand, all things that can delay shipping, much less all the other stuff (boss makes you work thru lunch, kid is sick and you are stuck at home, or sometimes it just takes a bit to get to the storage unit and pull the book for shipping).

If it takes a week to ship (as long as the seller is still maintaining contact with you in some way) no worries. Week 2 I get a little jittery if the seller is being non-responsive, or seems like s/hes stringing me along) And I think technically both sides have 30 days to complete a transaction before probation lists come into play.

there are some dealers on here, and they are usually the fastest to ship/pay/respond because this is part of their business, but most here are just collectors trying to buy and sell as part of their hobbying.

again, welcome to the boards!