• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I have always voted for you and Divad to be the keepers of the list...

As for conspiracy theories? It's pretty tough when EVERYONE ELSE CAN READ WHAT YOU POST.

Sorry, I'll be quieter now;)

Why be any quieter? You are already known as Quiet One Who Walks With Aimed Knee". :eek:

I had "Freaking" in there, and another word...then I realized I'd be in the out of context thread;) :ohnoez: Also my husband always says I never curse (when I do curse) ...so I didn't want to shock anyone;)

Seriously...I know others help, too...but you guys did a lot of work.... :foryou:

I have always voted for you and Divad to be the keepers of the list...

As for conspiracy theories? It's pretty tough when EVERYONE ELSE CAN READ WHAT YOU POST.

Sorry, I'll be quieter now;)

Why be any quieter? You are already known as Quiet One Who Walks With Aimed Knee". :eek:

I had "Freaking" in there, and another word...then I realized I'd be in the out of context thread;) :ohnoez: Also my husband always says I never curse (when I do curse) ...so I didn't want to shock anyone;)

Seriously...I know others help, too...but you guys did a lot of work.... :foryou:

It is funny but when you come here and make one fo your very well reasoned, polite posts about some wrongdoing etc. - I always here here some choice *spoonerisms* in the background, although they are never expressed. You can be one scary - err - human! Yeah! Human!

So no one else believes that there should be some guideline rules for these private transactions? Right in this thread recently was another newbie that was called out but he wasn't aware of this list either. We can be proactive here and make up a short few rules that the buyer or seller can link so everyone involved knows the consequences.

So no one else believes that there should be some guideline rules for these private transactions? Right in this thread recently was another newbie that was called out but he wasn't aware of this list either. We can be proactive here and make up a short few rules that the buyer or seller can link so everyone involved knows the consequences.

What would those rules be?

Rule 1: Don't rip people off

Rule 2: Don't back out of agreed-upon deals

Rule 3: Respond to PMs in a timely manner whilst conducting a deal

Rule 4: Don't be stupid

Done.

Rule 1: Don't rip people off

Rule 2: Don't back out of agreed-upon deals

Rule 3: Respond to PMs in a timely manner whilst conducting a deal

Rule 4: Don't be stupid

Done.

A lot of people will break rule 4 - they just can't help themselves.

I'm in agreement with the point you are trying to make. With new members often people are tentative & suspicious - lots of people have their radar up for members previously given the boot or on the PL/HOS.

Sellers are most likely the party to be exposed to someone backing out of a deal - I think sellers should be very precise and when it was mentioned here about a typical exchange being offer/acceptance; I don't think there's any harm in the rest of us going with a confirmation as was suggested & buried by a flurry of witty banter & legal blathering... it's as simple as:

"this book is $75, shipping is included"

"ok that is exactly what I want"

"so do we have a deal??"

Some person could take the "ok" portion out of context and say that's agreement and that is precisely the challenge - nothing is more important to fostering good behaviour than good and perhaps overly cautious communication - even if it means affirming a deal with an acknowledgement. (shrug)

That point aside, I think a certain rigid stance should be maintained when it comes to this guy.

:takeit:

Since this place is a mecca for both buyers and sellers looking to make deals, it's in everyone's interest to NOT run someone prematurely. We should make an effort to include more people since that's why CGC lets us play here - to get new people interested in comics and CGC's services.

It would work better if people were more forthcoming in sharing their close-calls here - ie - "this is a non-probationary post, soandso backed out of a deal with me and I told him that what he did was worth of probation list but since he's only got 85 posts, I let him off with a warning" - some guys will then add people like that to their personal 'do not buy/sell' lists...but knowing that the guy got a warning helps others make a choice.

If there's more public feedback then you won't get someone saying "I got burned by...." and then three other guys chime in with the same story but it happened four months ago & they never reported it. If someone is noted as receiving a warning more than once - PL is a consideration AND the benefit is a more lively PL thread. :devil:

I don't think my opinion counts any more than others here and I'm not a seller so I don't personally know the frustration they experience.

Edited by bababooey

I'm in agreement with the point you are trying to make. With new members often people are tentative & suspicious - lots of people have their radar up for members previously given the boot or on the PL/HOS.

Sellers are most likely the party to be exposed to someone backing out of a deal - I think sellers should be very precise and when it was mentioned here about a typical exchange being offer/acceptance; I don't think there's any harm in the rest of us going with a confirmation as was suggested & buried by a flurry of witty banter & legal blathering... it's as simple as:

"so do we have a deal??"

Some person could take the "ok" portion out of context and say that's agreement and that is precisely the challenge - nothing is more important to fostering good behaviour than good and perhaps overly cautious communication - even if it means affirming a deal with an acknowledgement. (shrug)

That point aside, I think a certain rigid stance should be maintained when it comes to this guy.

Since this place is a mecca for both buyers and sellers looking to make deals, it's in everyone's interest to NOT run someone prematurely. We should make an effort to include more people since that's why CGC lets us play here - to get new people interested in comics and CGC's services.

It would work better if people were more forthcoming in sharing their close-calls here - ie - "this is a non-probationary post, soandso backed out of a deal with me and I told him that what he did was worth of probation list but since he's only got 85 posts, I let him off with a warning" - some guys will then add people like that to their personal 'do not buy/sell' lists...but knowing that the guy got a warning helps others make a choice.

If there's more public feedback then you won't get someone saying "I got burned by...." and then three other guys chime in with the same story but it happened four months ago & they never reported it. If someone is noted as receiving a warning more than once - PL is a consideration AND the benefit is a more lively PL thread. :devil:

I don't think my opinion counts any more than others here and I'm not a seller so I don't personally know the frustration they experience.

The problem is you are over-complicating the whole process. If :takeit: is posted, either in the sales thread or in the PM, then the deal is agreed to. Nothing else needs to be said, no more steps need to be added. It just doesn't get much clearer than this. :facepalm:

"so do we have a deal??"

That seems reasonable. The only caveat is that what you propose, adding an additional step to the bargain may look like a step to make sure everyone's on the same page, however, in the instant matter would provides a POS with a way to wiggle out of a deal that was offered by him and accepted unconditionally by the buyer.

I think it's similar to say, "If you offer a book to someone with an asking price and shipping cost and terms laid out and the person says they will take it then you have perform, with no more confirmation necessary." and it doesn't add any more layers to, what should be, a simple transaction and it doesn't give the slightly dim or ethically challenged a means to renege on a deal.

If people don't realize that offering a book to someone with a set price and all terms laid out can be accepted, thereby binding the seller and buyer to complete the deal, then they probably should not be involved in commerce here. I don't have a problem with laying it out as plainly as possible. If people still don't get it then it's their problem, don't you think?

"so do we have a deal??"

The problem is you are over-complicating the whole process. If :takeit: is posted, either in the sales thread or in the PM, then the deal is agreed to. Nothing else needs to be said, no more steps need to be added. It just doesn't get much clearer than this. :facepalm:

That's exactly what I said, emoticons have a clearly designed purpose, there's no weasel room.

"so do we have a deal??"

That seems reasonable. The only caveat is that what you propose, adding an additional step to the bargain may look like a step to make sure everyone's on the same page, however, in the instant matter would provides a POS with a way to wiggle out of a deal that was offered by him and accepted unconditionally by the buyer.

I think it's similar to say, "If you offer a book to someone with an asking price and shipping cost and terms laid out and the person says they will take it then you have perform, with no more confirmation necessary." and it doesn't add any more layers to, what should be, a simple transaction and it doesn't give the slightly dim or ethically challenged a means to renege on a deal.

If people don't realize that offering a book to someone with a set price and all terms laid out can be accepted, thereby binding the seller and buyer to complete the deal, then they probably should not be involved in commerce here. I don't have a problem with laying it out as plainly as possible. If people still don't get it then it's their problem, don't you think?

I agree, some people won't ever belong here but anyone who has been around for a bit and bought or sold should probably make an effort to ensure clarity & understanding so that a potentially good newb doesn't get run out of here before he has a chance to get his feet under him.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest we require an additional step as a requirement, just suggesting that if any doubt exists the vet should address it with the newb.

Edited by bababooey

"so do we have a deal??"

I agree, some people won't ever belong here but anyone who has been around for a bit and bought or sold should probably make an effort to ensure clarity & understanding so that a potentially good newb doesn't get run out of here before he has a chance to get his feet under him.

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest we require an additional step as a requirement, just suggesting that if any doubt exists the vet should address it with the newb.

That's an especially good idea with people new here. I agree.

Of course, in the matter that gave rise to this whole discussion, the "seller" decided to go with the Vinny Barbarino Defense..

Didn't you agree to sell that book?

"What?"

That book, you agreed to sell that book, right?

"Where?"

Here on the Forum, isn't that true?

"How?"

So given that he pretended to not know anything about the deal when the buyer contacted him, and then shifted to another defense, before defaulting to a third defense, I'd have a hard time believing him on topics as basic as "What's the current time?" and "Marinara or Meat Sauce?"

"so do we have a deal??"

That's exactly what I said, emoticons have a clearly designed purpose, there's no weasel room.

Actually there is, you can delete or modify the pm...so you'd also need to remember to quote the response.

Actually there is, you can delete or modify the pm...so you'd also need to remember to quote the response.

I edited my response down to the point joecgcmaniac was making that I totally agree with.

To your point, anyone who would edit to alter a written agreement is untrustworthy, nothing more need be said. (shrug)

Keep the emoticons firm, the misunderstandings come mostly from situations where people use words where interpretations can differ.