• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

I know this makes am a :preach: and EVERYONE eventually ends up saying this seemingly but DAMN the quality of noobs has dropped of late! meh

:sorry:

Hopefully I can redeem it for most of us new guys...

It's an uphill battle, but as they say, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

:juggle:

The offer should have never been made if it wasn't going to be honored. Once it's made, a person of honor, integrity, ethics and honesty will follow through and be a person of their word.

(worship)

The glue that holds these boards together. Anything less, is pure dipery.

lol:hi:

Some people are as thick as mince.

Time Line

Seller offers book for $675 plus $25 shipping

Buyer replies that it's a bit high, but yes, he'll do it for the $700.

Seller reads PM but - for whatever reason - doesn't respond and removes himself from the PM thread.

Just how difficult is that to understand? :facepalm:

S'not . . . :insane:lol

:hi:

I know this makes am a :preach: and EVERYONE eventually ends up saying this seemingly but DAMN the quality of noobs has dropped of late! meh

I would say they started taking a downward spiral some time around 11/10/10

Glad I got here before the downward spiral.

I always thought it was when I joined :facepalm:

New member sends pm asking if i will take x and y for z. I say sure, but throw a takeit in my sales thread, which is done.

Buyer later says he found one for x, and backs out.

Then starts new wtb thread for another book while posting a for sale thread on item in his ebay.

Worthy of nomination?

New member sends pm asking if i will take x and y for z. I say sure, but throw a takeit in my sales thread, which is done.

Seller later says he found one for x, and backs out.

Then starts new wtb thread for another book while posting a for sale thread on item in his ebay.

Worthy of nomination?

yep (thumbs u

I am not being thick or stupid. This is how I see it.

1) Buyer solicited new member to sell said book

2) New member is now wearing a seller hat that maybe he has no experience with seller or does have the same high standards that this board inflicts on people. Going with this notion, we need rules for these type of private deals. So those that think I am thick or whatever, I AM PUSHING THIS ISSUE TO HAVE RULES ABOUT THESE TYPE OF TRANSACTIONS. It puts everyone on the same playing ground.

It is not a question for me about where this was an "official contract" It is about needing guidelines set up about these transactions. Seriously, if the buyer didn't solicit the seller, I would not be chiming in at all. I personally don't think it is fair to put someone on a prob list without having this in place. Most of the post here are assuming that everyone knows the proper selling etiquette or contract law.

There are a ton of people out there that are selling, listing the same items at different venues. These type of sellers aren't concerned with gentlemen's agreements, they are just looking for whomever is waving the money first. We are getting an influx of new posters here that may or may not fall into this type of seller category. Seller integrity is changing for the worst. But you cannot expect someone to raise up to the higher standards (what I believe and why I still post here) of selling on the CGC boards without setting up some guidelines. We should be proactive and set up rules for private transactions.

So sorry if this type of out of the box thinking makes me stupid or thick or an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I would say they started taking a downward spiral some time around 11/10/10

:whee:

I've definitely done my part! :whistle:

2) New member is now wearing a seller hat that maybe he has no experience with seller or does have the same high standards that this board inflicts on people. Going with this notion, we need rules for these type of private deals. So those that think I am thick or whatever, I AM PUSHING THIS ISSUE TO HAVE RULES ABOUT THESE TYPE OF TRANSACTIONS. It puts everyone on the same playing ground.

It is not a question for me about where this was an "official contract" It is about needing guidelines set up about these transactions. Seriously, if the buyer didn't solicit the seller, I would not be chiming in at all. I personally don't think it is fair to put someone on a prob list without having this in place. Most of the post here are assuming that everyone knows the proper selling etiquette or contract law.

There are a ton of people out there that are selling, listing the same items at different venues. These type of sellers aren't concerned with gentlemen's agreements, they are just looking for whomever is waving the money first. We are getting an influx of new posters here that may or may not fall into this type of seller category. Seller integrity is changing for the worst. But you cannot expect someone to raise up to the higher standards (what I believe and why I still post here) of selling on the CGC boards without setting up some guidelines. We should be proactive and set up rules for private transactions.

So sorry if this type of out of the box thinking makes me stupid or thick or an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I'm trying hard but sorry i just dont know what the heck you are talking about!

What type of rules should we set up? Short of the perpetually nodding agreement bobblehead scenario i dont know what else would satisfy you. It has nothing to do with "contract law or gentlemens agreements". It's common freaking sense.

I'm not trying to be rude, i just dont see how it could be any clearer. Regardless of who contacted who, one person said "is this for sale?", the other responded "yeah, ill sell it for $675". Then there was a "ok, ill take it for $675, give me your PP info". What more could possibly be needed?

Now, i understand the offender here is saying he didnt see that and just read the "thats more than i want to spend". I'd buy that if he didnt give 10 other stories but it looks pretty clear he instead decided to clean and press the book based on other posts.

Maybe he didnt realize his "yeah, ill sell it for $675" would be binding but he sure as hell should have unless he lives on another planet. Walk into any store and ask how much something is. Then, when they tell you the price, say exactly what he did "well, thats more than i wanted to spend but ill take it". Then turn around and just walk out of the store and see everyone in the store look at you like you are a psychopath cus thats what will happen :gossip:

I'm trying hard but sorry i just dont know what the heck you are talking about!

What type of rules should we set up? Short of the perpetually nodding agreement bobblehead scenario i dont know what else would satisfy you. It has nothing to do with "contract law or gentlemens agreements". It's common freaking sense.

I'm not trying to be rude, i just dont see how it could be any clearer. Regardless of who contacted who, one person said "is this for sale?", the other responded "yeah, ill sell it for $675". Then there was a "ok, ill take it for $675, give me your PP info". What more could possibly be needed?

Now, i understand the offender here is saying he didnt see that and just read the "thats more than i want to spend". I'd buy that if he didnt give 10 other stories but it looks pretty clear he instead decided to clean and press the book based on other posts.

Maybe he didnt realize his "yeah, ill sell it for $675" would be binding but he sure as hell should have unless he lives on another planet. Walk into any store and ask how much something is. Then, when they tell you the price, say exactly what he did "well, thats more than i wanted to spend but ill take it". Then turn around and just walk out of the store and see everyone in the store look at you like you are a psychopath cus thats what will happen :gossip:

Actually, I bet at most you'd get a shrug from the salesperson. I doubt anyone would be staring at you, slackjawed in disbelief.

Now that you mention it, are you really trying to tell me that if I'm in a store and I say "Okay, I'll take it," about, say, a laser printer, I'm legally bound to buy it? I bet that's not true. What's the statute of limitations on that? In my life I've said many times in a store that I'd buy something only to realize that I don't have cash, or didn't bring my wallet ... or I see something else that I want more ... or I get to the checkout line and it's too long ... I can't be on the hook for all that can I?

No, you aren't legally bound to buy it. You are just a doosch that nobody would want to deal with at that point. I dont think anyone is saying this noob is legally bound to sell the book. they are saying what he did was wrong and he isnt someone most people would want to deal with at this point.

Go into a store and spend some time with a salesman and agree on a price and when he goes to ring it up, walk out and say "nope, sorry changed my mind".

Then, go back the next day and ask the same salesman to show you something else and see if he wants to deal with you again.

Worthy of nomination?

yep (thumbs u

As soon as the buyer posted the :takeit: in your sales thread it's a done deal. Out the bastich. :sumo:

I would say they started taking a downward spiral some time around 2/28/12

Worthy of nomination?

yep (thumbs u

As soon as the buyer posted the :takeit: in your sales thread it's a done deal. Out the bastich. :sumo:

the member is timesthepain.