• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,203 posts in this topic

so its been exactly a month since i last heard from tibex82, and exactly 2 months and 4 days since i bought the comic.. i'm glad he is on pl now but i'm still out my money and comic.. this sucks... doesnt look like he is coming back anytime soon either.. just glad it wasnt something more expensive but still..

wish i knew his ebay to see if i could get ahold of him there.

Edited by rayjay77

so its been exactly a month since i last heard from tibex82, and exactly 2 months and 4 days since i bought the comic.. i'm glad he is on pl now but i'm still out my money and comic.. this sucks... doesnt look like he is coming back anytime soon either.. just glad it wasnt something more expensive but still..

wish i knew his ebay to see if i could get ahold of him there.

My advice would be to not dwell on it. If he comes back he'll have to deal with it. If he doesn't, you will have moved on to something else already.

I'm having a problem with a guy who purchased three Batman's (9, 34, 74) from my sales thread on June 26th 2013. I send him a PM with the amount to pay on June 27th. He didn't send me any PM after that.

On July 8th I send him the following PM:

Hi Sam

Just a quick reminder on the books you purchased:

Batman 9, 34 and 74 for a total of $225

I will post an update with a few price reductions in an hour or so.

I would appreciate if you could make payment before the 11th of July. I will be able to make it to the post office one last time on Friday. After that I'm of to Comic-Con.

Best

Mike

He send me the following PM on July 10th:

Thank you Mike,

Paypal has a hold on a large sale I had and the funds are only being released on July 15th. I can wait till you get back. I will pay on the 15th upon clearing.

Sincerely,

Sam

To which I responded:

No problem Sam

I will not be able to ship the books before the 26th though.

Best

Mike

To which he responded:

OK thank you

I checked my PM's when I returned from Comic-Con and found no new message from him (I did not receive any payment through paypal). I send him the following pm on July 25th:

Hi Sam

I'm just back from Comic-Con. Please paypal me payment for the Batman's whenever you are ready.

Best

Mike

He responded on July 27th:

Thanks Mike will do. Should have it by Tuesday \:\)

I send him a thumps up on July 28th.

I did not receive any payment on said Tuesday.

I send him the following PM the following day (July 31st)

Hi Sam

Please make payment within the next 12 hours

Best

Mike

This message appears as unread, which does not mean much, since you can read all PM's in your e-mails.

I must say that I'm quiet annoyed by this.

I do not wish to close the deal with him, since he clearly can NOT be trusted.

Should he be put on the probation list?

Edited by gojira

no offense, but you are being too nice to him. ;)

June 27: You invoiced him

July 8: You ask for payment by July 11

July 10: He asks for an extension to July 15, which you say ok, and note that books wont ship til 26th

July 25: you check on payment saying for him to pay whenever he is ready

July 27: He says he'll have it by the 30th (Tuesday) to which you implied "ok"

July 31: you asked for immediate payment since it hadnt been paid.

The marketplace rules are that transactions are expected to be completed within 30 days of an agreed upon transaction unless other timing is set. You kept "resetting the clock" for him by letting push out the payment date.

Based on the strictest application of the guidelines you two have 30 days to complete this transaction based on the last agreend upon date of July 30. In those 30 days he should pay and you should ship and the books should arrive. So if the deal isnt complete by that date (August 29) you can email him that you are nominating him for the probation list.

Is that right? I know it was always confusing when the 30 day clock starts ticking when people are granted extra time for payment....

Edited by Miraclemet

July 10: He asks for an extension to July 15, which you say ok, and note that books wont ship til 26th

The marketplace rules are that transactions are expected to be completed within 30 days of an agreed upon transaction unless other timing is set. You kept "resetting the clock" for him by letting push out the payment date.

Based on the strictest application of the guidelines you two have 30 days to complete this transaction based on the last agreend upon date of July 30. In those 30 days he should pay and you should ship and the books should arrive. So if the deal isnt complete by that date (August 29) you can email him that you are nominating him for the probation list.

Is that right? I know it was always confusing when the 30 day clock starts ticking when people are granted extra time for payment....

I disagree, the 30 day clock doesn't move unless there are time payments arranged (usually beyond 30 days) - - only then does a failure to pay constitute a breach of contract that resets the clock......establishing a specific date within the 30 day time frame doesn't move anything.

That's my interpretation.

I disagree, the 30 day clock doesn't move unless there are time payments arranged (usually beyond 30 days) - - only then does a failure to pay constitute a breach of contract that resets the clock......establishing a specific date within the 30 day time frame doesn't move anything.

That's my interpretation.

I think that's a fair interpretation too.

I'm with Bababooey. Original payment was supposed to be within 30 days, he changed later that doesn't give him an extension.

I would agree. I think the clock began running on June 27 and nothing that happened subsequently reset it, as far as I can see. I think the seller should send the buyer a PM indicating that he intends to nominate him for the PL.

I'm with Bababooey. Original payment was supposed to be within 30 days, he changed later that doesn't give him an extension.

I would agree. I think the clock began running on June 27 and nothing that happened subsequently reset it, as far as I can see. I think the seller should send the buyer a PM indicating that he intends to nominate him for the PL.

Agreed, after that the buyer went into stalling mode and strung the seller along. This wasn't a time payment transaction and the clock shouldn't reset. Please out the guy.

I'd like to thank everybody for their input. I also think that the buyer should have made payment by the end of June or early July at the latest. I never agreed that payment could be made at a later date. I was just "nice" and did not give him any bull when I send him a PM that he should make payment and he just said that he would pay later on.

I send him a PM today in which I let him know that I posted a message about this in this thread and that I did not want to conclude our deal anymore since I lost my trust in him.

I will wait until tomorrow to see if he has anything to say about this. I will reveal his user name if he doesn't give me a reasonable explanation until then.

I hope that he will then be included in the probation list, not only because I am annoyed by bis comportment, but also to protect other sellers or buyers from him.

Thanks

Mike

You probably don't want to hear this but if you put him on the PL, the usual method by which he would make good would be by sending you the money to complete the sale.

Right. My understanding is that if you don't allow him to complete the deal, then you can't put him on the probation list. Completing a deal is the way for deadbeat buyers (and sellers) to get off the list.

So, you can refuse to sell to him -- given 30 days passed without his paying -- but in that case you can't put him on the probation list. Or you can put him on the probation list, but then you have to be willing to complete the deal with him, after which he would come off the list.

Has he been making any other board purchases in the meantime?

No, he did not. He didn't post anything since the end of June.

From what I see, the buyer made another purchase on June 26. You might want to send a PM to that seller to see if the buyer paid him or if he's having the same issues as you.

And the failicy of the list rules becomes ever clearer.

You mean the lack of community support by all members, right?

The rules work when the community upholds them. They don't when $$ rules decisions.