• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flipping, a mortal sin?

207 posts in this topic

I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly constitutes flipping comics in the selling forum. I've seen people brazenly state they bought the comic here, and from what seller, yet nary a word was said. I've seen others attempt to sell a comic, and immediately people called them out, swearing they saw that comic sold here not two months ago, and called them, a flipper :o. Now I understand that buying here at times one is privy to what we call in the surf industry as a "bro deal", and to turn around and sell for ungodly profit could be seen as unseemly. But on the other hand, I've bought a lot of lots, and was really only interested in owning a few of the comics. Is offering them for sale here a form of ingratitude?

What about comics you purchased spur of the moment, and really weren't interested in keeping long term once you recieved them? If you sell them for approximately the same price you purchased them for, is that considered a legitimate sale?

Clue me in. I'm clueless as usual.

There are some people here who are under a disconnect from reality. Some people, literally, HATE the thought that someone else can profit off of a book.

If you hit the "I'll take it" on any book, it is yours. Do with it, what you please.

Well, there is nothing wrong with flipping, per se... it's more of a timing issue, or maybe a morality issue. You don't buy a book on the board for $5 and immediately turn around and try to sell it for $25 right back here. Heck I bought comics just the other day here that I said I would be putting on eBay as soon as I got them.

I guess this is what could be called a "sticky wicket."

-slym

There are some people here who are under a disconnect from reality. Some people, literally, HATE the thought that someone else can profit off of a book.

If you hit the "I'll take it" on any book, it is yours. Do with it, what you please.

I've seen people turn around & re-sell a book before they even received it - that, I must admit, seems a bit weird. I do agree with you, though - you bought it, you can do whatever you want with it.

Now ... if you want to talk about forum selling unseemliness, well, the usual suspects spring to mind:

a) quoting & using GPA prices for raw books

b) quoting GPA prices for slabs, but "omitting" certain sales because they were too low compared to what you're pricing the book at

People hate it when they see a comic they sold resell for more. Just natural I guess. Even more, people hate selling a book and seeing it pressed and resold for 10 times the amount.

I've seen a seller give a buyer an amazing deal because the buyer really "needs" the book only to watch the new owner quickly resell it for a juicy profit. Buying under false pretense so to speak.

I've seen lots of sellers put books up for resale because they state they are changing focus or they need to sell to pay for a grail or some other reason. Sometimes at a profit, usually for about what they paid.

I think if you treat people the way you want to be treated you should have no problems. I also don't see a problem with buying books to resell because the seller has underpriced them.

I have had some people think it is terrible that I buy a book from someone for a low price and then sell it for a ridiculously high one. BUT once a person buys a book it is theirs to do with whatever they please. I have a CGC book I allowed my son to destroy and I mean bigtime annihilate. The seller could be made at what I did with his comic book. I purchased it fair and square, so I could've resold it at a higher price or blown it to pieces my book my call. Now if I buy a CGC book in a certain poorer condition, press it ,color touch it, lighten the pages and then try to pass it off as an unrestored VF copy..that is wrong. It's dishonest to misrepresent the book as something it's not.

I have purchased books and collectibles at auctions for pennies on the dollar. Resold them for hundreds more than I paid. Likewise, I sold some sports memorabilia to a friend later found out even though he gave me $800 they were worth at least 10Xs that. My own fault for not doing the research to find out what I had.

It's simple.

If you didn't use a sob story about needing it for your collection or some BS to negotiate a better deal, then do what you want with it.

Pay for the books and have them in hand before attempting to flip them.

Something related.

It may be wise to remember that if a unique or high profile book is purchased in a public venue at a good price, then most interested parties probably saw the sale. That's probably not going to help your cause when you list the book for sale here two weeks later, even if offered at a good price.

Awesome reponses. Thanks to all who've responded. I'm still mulling over whether selling is my thing of not, I'm just a collector, but I've puchased a few short boxes of mixed drek, with some nuggets thrown in (no, not here, those boxes were long), but I've got some stuff mixed in and forgotten after starting to buy here, and I sure don't want to step on any toes. I'm usually pretty circumspect in my buying, but I've found myself carried away at times, buying things I really wasn't as interested in in hindsight, but they are certainly not without value to someone else. Selling sure seems like a lot of work though.

I bought a slab here a while back. I'm super picky about "keepers", and when I received it, it just wasn't doing it for me, so I posted it on Ebay starting at 0.01 with no reserve. The book sold for $100 less than I paid. That's how I roll. :headbang:

I suppose that if it had sold for $100 more, that may have made some people angry.

I've seen people turn around & re-sell a book before they even received it - that, I must admit, seems a bit weird. I do agree with you, though - you bought it, you can do whatever you want with it.

Now ... if you want to talk about forum selling unseemliness, well, the usual suspects spring to mind:

b) quoting GPA prices for slabs, but "omitting" certain sales because they were too low compared to what you're pricing the book at

a) GPA can be used as a tool for anything. A certified book is no more or less of a book than a raw copy. Certification is simply a method of assuring trust in the product. A certified book would be just as valuable (or worthless) as a raw book if the populous valued a certified book just the same as a raw book.

If the seller of a given book is trusted enough, why can GPA prices not be asked? If the seller's grade is accepted by potential buyers, it is no different than potential buyers accepting CGCs grade.

Main thing I see as a bad thing, is the people who throw out pity stories about wanting it for their collection, and then reselling it right away. That is just poor taste

Then that is a reflection of the buyer's personality. I understand what you're saying. However, it is not the resell or flipping that is the problem...it is the lie or story that the buyer gave to get the book.

I only dislike the flipping if they asked me to lower my price and I do. Then they flip.

Yup. Chiseling a seller down on price with the intention to flip is pretty lame. Pull the trigger at the asking price.....and it's yours to price as you see fit.

I only dislike the flipping if they asked me to lower my price and I do. Then they flip.

Yup. Chiseling a seller down on price with the intention to flip is pretty lame. Pull the trigger at the asking price.....and it's yours to price as you see fit.

Maybe the seller is lame for relenting. :baiting:

a) GPA can be used as a tool for anything. A certified book is no more or less of a book than a raw copy. Certification is simply a method of assuring trust in the product. A certified book would be just as valuable (or worthless) as a raw book if the populous valued a certified book just the same as a raw book.

If the seller of a given book is trusted enough, why can GPA prices not be asked? If the seller's grade is accepted by potential buyers, it is no different than potential buyers accepting CGCs grade.

rantrant

GPA IS A PRICE SURVEY OF SLABBED BOOKS. IT DOES NOT COVER RAW BOOKS

GPA PRICING IS FOR SLABBED BOOKS. GPA PRICING IS NOT FOR RAW BOOKS

Do I have to keep shouting?

GPA IS FOR SLABBED BOOKS.

me. Why is this so hard to grasp? If you are using GPA as a comparative price for your RAW BOOK you aren't using the same data set.

rantrant

Not if you tell the seller you will be flipping it when the lower price is offered.

All you are doing is making an offer. The Seller can choose to accept or pass.

As long as there are no pretenses and both seller and buyer agree on a price there is nothing negative that can be said about the deal.

R.

rantrant

GPA IS A PRICE SURVEY OF SLABBED BOOKS. IT DOES NOT COVER RAW BOOKS

GPA PRICING IS FOR SLABBED BOOKS. GPA PRICING IS NOT FOR RAW BOOKS

Do I have to keep shouting?

me. Why is this so hard to grasp? If you are using GPA as a comparative price for your RAW BOOK you aren't using the same data set.

rantrant

Are "slabbed books" not books? Books are books. As I said before, certification is only for establishing a currency of trust. If that same currency that is found in a given CGC'd book, is also found in the same raw book, than they are of equal value.