• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Pedigrees

23 posts in this topic

I was wondering if you guys could post some Canadian pedigrees or some info about them such as lists. Even collections like the Manitoba collection.

Please don't post pics of maple syrup, hockey pucks, Elisha Cuthbert etc.

Actually Elisha is ok but I'd love to see some lists of these collections and pics

The only thing worth a damn that ever came from the tundra north of the US...

bobanddoug.jpg

Their new animated show is making large strides at proving you wrong. Only made it through one episode of that.

Me: "WTF is this, eh?"

My Wife: "Turn this off, ya hoser."

Me: "Ya"

Dave Thomas is milking the franchise for all its worth. Too bad he's not the funny one. (Case in point: Thomas's feature film from a few years ago, "Intern Academy". He was the writer, director and star... and it stank.)

Rick Moranis was the funny one. He did the smart thing and said he didn't want to be involved in the animated series.

Here's my ASM 121 Manitoba

ASM121.jpg

And here's Elisha:

elisha-cuthbert.jpg

scan0094.jpg

Winnipeg! The lesser of Greenhalgh's huge Silver Age finds, but the first one he thought to try to attach a pedigree to. Most of the early issues are defaced with the owner's name "Dennis Kjolso" written in large, cursive letters at the top near the title. I've heard this is one of the most minor Silver Age pedigrees around in terms of condition and that the keys aren't in to-die-for shape, yet it covers the prime Marvel years completely so is probably barely deserving of pedigree designation. I've only seen the Spidey #1, which is an 8.5.

Before this one, Greenhalgh found Golden State, which I've heard was absolutely incredible, and is responsible for a ton of the unpedigreed 9.4 - 9.8 early Silver Marvel books out there on the market. I've been wondering if the FF #1 CGC 9.6 is from his Golden State collection.

There is several other Canadian pedigree/collections

Nova Scotia

Toronto

Chinatown

What books does the "Toronto" pedigree encompass? GA? Never heard of it.

From the Heritage website:

Heritage Auction Galleries has announced the discovery of an original-owner collection of several thousand 1950s comics, dubbed "the Toronto Collection," which is to be auctioned without reserve beginning with the firm's Feb. 28-29 Dallas auction.

"A lot of these are going to rank among the finest known copies of their respective issues," said Lon Allen, Director of Sales for the Comics Division. "The average condition of the collection at a whole is about Very Fine. We decided from the start to have a large portion of the collection CGC-certified, and we're seeing a number of 9.2 (Near Mint minus) certifications among the comics we've received back from CGC."

Allen noted that the collection has a complete run of the "Atlas superhero revival" issues. "The company now known as Marvel stopped publishing superheroes in the late 1940s, but from 1953-1955 they brought back Captain America and other superheroes to star in anti-Communist stories. These are highly collectable now, and the Toronto collection has some of the nicer copies I've seen."

"Superheroes were generally out of favor in the mid-1950s," Allen noted, "so some of the 1952-54 DC superhero issues are harder to find than their 1940s counterparts! I was glad to see that the Toronto collection has plenty of Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Superman, and the like, and here again most are among the highest-graded copies."

The collection, consigned by the heirs of an anonymous collector, consists primarily of U.S. comics, though it also includes a number of the tough-to-find Bell Features "hybrid" comics which repackaged the U.S. stories for a Canadian audience.

There is several other Canadian pedigree/collections

Nova Scotia

Toronto

Chinatown

Nova Scotia pedigree. Got this back from CGC last week but haven't gotten around to scanning it

WonderworldComics5.jpg