• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Part-Time Dealer?

116 posts in this topic

Hi. I am relatively new to the discussion boards but I have been reading them for awhile (as time permits)

I was at the first Phil Sueling show in NYC as a collector.

BEST PART

I was a dealer at 2 creation cons. The best thing about being a dealer was getting in early, meeting the other dealers and getting dealer discount prices for books I wanted in my collection.

I shared a table with a news stand vendor and I sold some old comics I purchased in bulk and he sold newer store stock.

WORST PART

I too had books purchased before the doors opened the first show and half my stock was bought and marked up before the fans could get in. The next show I refused to sell to other dealers until the show was over. Once the good books are gone people do not stop for long.

I would sell for bulk rate what was left after the show ended and it was easier than bringing them home - but you do feel a little ripped off. I know you can bring them home but I did not think I was going to be a dealer the next show. Living in an apartment in Da Bronx made it had to keep non-collectibles.

FUTURE SHOW DEALER ?

I just helped my local comic store sell his stock. It went for about $ 20.00 to $ 25.00 per long box to another comic store.1994 up stock. Some modern stuff.

I kept one of each major character comic - Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, JLA, Spiderman, Wolverine and X-Men books. I may take these comics along with my silver age doubles and try to sell them at a local show in Wayne or Asbury Park NJ.

I want a "dealer discount" as I try to upgrade my collection.

Welcome to the boards Jim! :hi: You bring up a GREAT subject which I hear mentioned but never truly elaborated on: the inter-dealer discount.

First, what's the protocol on dealer's giving discounts to one another? Is it something along the lines of 25%? Higher?

Second, is it generally expected that dealer's will discount their stock for one another? Is it kosher to not provide a dealer discount? I'm curious because I'm often hearing stories of this happening to collectors who buy a table at a local show, get bought out of all their good stock from other dealers, and then find their stuff marked up on the other walls.

The fact that the other dealers at shows are buying the stuff, marking it up and putting it on their display should not cause anyone grief.

The person selling got the price he wanted and at anytime could have said no or asked for more money.

This is just sellers remorse, seeing that you might have been able to get more.

Just like selling a stock too early in the market.

True, because the good books are gone, people might pass the table by now. But then the seller should have thought of that when pricing their books. (Example I don't mind selling these 50-100 books at this price, but I'm going to sell these 50-100 popular books a little more aggresively to not only make more money but to make sure I have eye candy.) 2c

I'm not sure what the dealer discount is now. I know I was getting better prices on books I wanted when I was a dealer.

ANOTHER BENEFIT

You can also trade bulk stock for a higher "price" in a trade to another dealer for high price books you want . So buying bulk at a low price and trading it at a higher price per book plus your discount as a dealer is a way to get more expensive comics into your collection for less money.

I agree that "seller's remorse" is a problem when selling to another dealer before the show opens.

I just wanted other fans to get the comics I brought. You are right that you get the price you were asking - less the dealer discount I gave...so the dealers I sold to pre-opening - really got a good price on the comics and then marked them up.

I did not feel as bad if the books were still unsold at the higher price. It made me think I may have priced them right for fans to buy.

You can also trade bulk stock for a higher "price" in a trade to another dealer for high price books you want . So buying bulk at a low price and trading it at a higher price per book plus your discount as a dealer is a way to get more expensive comics into your collection for less money.

------------------

why would a dealer want to trade their good high dollar books for your bulk? why would anyone make that deal and then give a discount on top of it for the higher dollar books?

when you were buying as a "dealer" were you laying out real money ($500+) or did you expect your 25% off on a $20 book?

personally, back when I used to wheel and deal more on better books, putting aside a "relationship" discount (e.g., you've known the guy for 15 years), I used to get pretty hefty discounts from the right dealers by spending enough money with them. case in point, at a show about 15 years ago I dropped $600 with Carbonaro (back when he was a dealer, not a show promoter too), $500 on 6 decent books (a NM- Hulk 181, a VF+ SS 1, a VG+ FF 48, a NM- ASM 100, a VF/NM IMSM and a VG- DD #1) and another $100 on a short box of bronze and another dealer on the other side of the show offered me $1000 for the same books, minus the short box of bronze (I didn't accept the deal, though I ultimately traded him the Hulk 181 for a VG+ FF #5 and $200 (as per OPG) in misc. SA DC (which 15 years later was a lousy deal for me, but 2 1/2 years ago I sold the FF #5 for like $500, so I broke even and kept the other 5 books). of course, $600 15 years ago at small local show was a lot of money in that I think the tables were only like $100 a pop.

so, really, is it a "dealer" discount or a spend a lot of money discount?

Never considered becoming a part time dealer but I have been considering for the past 6 months selling it all and focusing more on buying to sell instead of buying to keep.

I simply don't see the allure of doing shows as a small player. Small shows are slow and big shows are expensive and entail a ton of work. So why insist on doing shows. Raise about $2000 in cash and have another $3-5000 available if needed. Find a collection, buy it for half it's value. Sell it here or on ebay or keep what you want out of it.

Wash rinse repeat.

There will be $1 books all the way to $1000 books.

Are there lots of variables, risks and extra costs associated? Yes.

Is it difficult to find collections and a pain to sell them and all that goes into it? Yes.

But its worth it to find a mini collection like this one. I find it quite a rush I have to admit.

50slot.jpg

:o OMG!! somebody cut the figure of Flash out of Showcase # 4

I'd love to take the FF #2 and FF #5 off of your hands. I need both. In the process of paying off a large purchase though so couldn't do now anyway. :cry:

Never considered becoming a part time dealer but I have been considering for the past 6 months selling it all and focusing more on buying to sell instead of buying to keep.

Isn't that the same thing as being a part time dealer? (shrug)

Dealers and stores that are "buying" may pay 10 cents per book cash and 15 cents per book in "trade" so you may get $ 1,000 dollars in trade instead of $ 700 dollars cash for your bulk.

Since the dealer may have multiple copies of books you want they would rather give you a good deal in trade instead of handing you cash.

This week I took a trade deal with a local comic store for $1,000 credit and am now going to use that money to purchase my new comics from him and if he has any older comics I want I will use some of the credit to 'buy' those.

When you are a dealer you know how much you pay for books and how much you want to sell them for and other dealers know you know.

You are right that if you spend a lot of money you can get a good discount though.

We are talking about the "old days" as dealers and collectors - how are current dealers treating each other ? Is there still a dealer discount anybody?

When I restarted collecting back in 1986 i first bought chunks from a couple of stores/dealers. Since I went to the Wharton School ( top undergrad Business school in the country) I quickly realized that I could do much better by buying entire collections, keeping what I needed/wanted and selling off the excess. I started selling at conventions, mostly with the LA comic conventions put on by Bruce Schwartz. They were first at the old Ambassador hotel ( where Bobby Kennedy was shot in 1968.) After that closed the con bounced around several other locations until it finally settled in the Shrine auditorium.

Back then I did not have any kids and both my gf ( now wife) and I had small cars so we had to rent a station wagon from a rent-a wreck location nearby. to bring maybe 16 long boxes for a one table spot or 30 for 2 tables. We did this off and on for about 3 years. I was keeping track of buys and sells. I think we used to sell maybe $300 worth at a show and the cost was about $100 all in.

I was able to buy some great collections like the one that I got xmen 6-36 and Daredevil 1-30 and another maybe 100 similar time frame books for $300.

xmen6.jpg

xmen7.jpg

xmen8.jpg

xmen9.jpg

xmen10.jpg

xmen11.jpg

xmen12.jpg

xmen13.jpg

xmen14.jpg

Since I went to the Wharton School ( top undergrad Business school in the country) I quickly realized that I could do much better by buying entire collections, keeping what I needed/wanted and selling off the excess.

--------------------------

You needed a degree from Wharton to figure this out? (if I could get my computer to do one of those stick poke in the eye thingies I would)

Many dealers often give other dealers a discount. On all of it, it depends on the dealers involved. I have friends with LCS who will give me 40-50% off new stuff if I run out and they have extras. Sometimes they will cut me 50% on older stuff, sometime nothing, just depends.

Isn't that the same thing as being a part time dealer? (shrug)

I think nik already is :baiting:

It's all in the semantics lol

I just got in a modern collection and wanted to pass this along. What I picked up were the TPB and a few series like Marvel Zombies, 1980's Transformers and some Batman Joker issues, Miller run and McFarlane run. The rest I left.

So if anyone is interested in picking up about 1000 books send me a PM and I will send you his number. I'm sure he'd take $300 or so. They are all bagged and boarded except the most recent stuff. Runs I remember that I almost picked up but didn't

Most are late 1990s and 2000s

Civil War

Captain America

Plenty of Wolverine Batmans and Avengers

Transformers IDW? GI Joe (new)

Masters of Universe (new)

Aliens Predator et al

There was no Sin City, Y last man, or Walking Dead. Not a lot of Spiderman or X-men but some. Some crappy titles like Marvel M but overall the titles were good ones. Unfortunately they are not organized well so I doubt if he'll take requests and he is looking to sell everything. I don't know him personally but he is a 50 year old Marine and really like comics, loved to talk about them. So if interested let me know and I can shoot you his number. He lives just north of Gettysburg.

I guess I can chime in here.

I stopped doing shows while I was in college. It wasnt worth it to me as some already stated. Sitting there with no breaks for 6-9 hours really is hard. Theft and other problems were just too much to deal with.

Been selling online now for like 8 years. The online market has now almost caught up to the shows as far as volume now. I watch my inventory very closely and keep it low. I buy very cheap and try to sell well priced. Not saying I am the cheapest, but I try not to be the most expensive either. I have network of dealers across the country I work with now. Throw them a bone every now and then and they will return the favor. Its a nice part time hobby that I enjoy now while my

collection grows from time to time.

I would never open up a brick and mortar store unless I fell into it. Too much inventory problems and all types of issues including theft, Diamond trying to screw you every other week and some of your customer holds never paying for what they ordered.

Cash is king. When you go look at a collection cash talks no matter what amount they are wanting when you have cash you can get them to come down some. I have yet to find a "Mile High Stature" collection, but I have done well on a few.

I dont $1 and $5 deals, but they are extremely profitable. The reason I dont is I just dont want to have 3k in books lying around. Not saying I havent occasionallye flipped a long box I payed $.20 each for $1-$5 each just saying I dont want that type of inventory.

Research is extremely important. You have to know what you are buying and what your cleintele is willing to pay for it. You have to keep track of the market you are selling in. For me I wont touch SA or BA unless I fall into cheap or find extremely high grade. I deal more in Copper and Moderns which is not the norm here. And yes you can make money in this area if you know what you are doing.

Learn to grade very well. Research it and get a few of the OS grading books they help some.

That last is packing if you dont learn to pack as a seller you will never realize your business will never grow. Word of mouth and ebay feedback speak volumes. Even on here there dealers I avoid now because they either cant grade or cant pack. Do all of the above and your business thrive I think.