• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I lost my dispute with paypal.. *RANT*

60 posts in this topic

I am just angry and frustrated with the outcome and quite surprised that paypal cannot help me out any longer except to appeal the case...

Basically, what happened is that I bought a book on ebay on May 4th. I paid for the item the same day. Mind you the seller has sold some GA books in the past and was given positive feedback from the buyers. So, I felt confident to bid on the auction for an expensive book. Aside from that, he did put a 7 day refund if the buyer was not satisfied with the book. With all these going for me, I pulled the trigger on the book.

When I received the book, I found that the pages were brittle. It was not stated in his auction anything about paper quality which I think is important especially when pages are brittle. I quickly emailed the seller asking for a refund that same evening when I received the book.. After waiting a day, there was no response. I emailed him again the day after asking about the refund.. After 2 days, no response. I filed a dispute with paypal because I want it to be within the 7 day return policy frame. After a couple of days the seller responded by saying something like how as a GA collector that I should expect the pages of the book to be in this state. He even offered me $100 to end the dispute. I of course declined and escalated to a claim.

Paypal emailed me a long email regarding what they wanted from me because it is a high priced book. This is part of what they emailed me, the kind of document I needed:

"In order to continue with the investigation of your complaint, we mustrequest documentation to support your claim that the item is damaged orsignificantly not as described. Please obtain a document (such as an estimate or invoice) from an unbiased third-party, such as a dealer, repairshop, appraiser, or another individual or organization that is qualified inthe area of the item in question (other than yourself). This document should detail the extent of the damage or clearly explain how the item received significantly differs from the item advertised. Please do not proceed with any repairs or alterations to the item, as doing so will limitPayPals ability to successfully resolve your claim, and may result in the cancellation of your dispute. If possible, the document should include a serial number and description of the item, and the dollar amount required to complete the repairs necessary to correct the damage. This document mustbe on letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of theindividual, business, or organization so that PayPal may contact them if necessary."

To make the long story short, I asked our own Ze-man if he can ask Matt Nelson to help me out with the document. The document was faxed to paypal. When I called to verify if they received the fax and that everything was fine, they said yes. After a couple of days I received an email from paypal saying that the document cannot be justified because the book needs to be seen in person from a comic dealer. The email did not state such thing as I would think pictures of the brittleness would do. Paypal closed the case (something I didn't know.. Once paypal closes the case, the paypal protection policy is ineffective and cannot be effective again. THey just told me this today). So, with the extended days I went to a local comic shop. The shop owner agreed that the pages were brittle and wrote a document for me. He signed it, dated it, and applied a store stamp on the document with the name of the store and address. I quickly faxed it to paypal. I called them the next day and asked them if they have received the fax and if everything was fine. They said yes we received it and that there is nothing else for me to do... After 3-4 days I asked about the status, they told me that they had to reject the document because it needs to have a phone number of the store. I quickly faxed the same document with the store phone number. I called the next day asking them if they have received it etc. etc. They told me the same thing like above and that they would reach a decision yesterday in the evening. When I looked at the email, I received this email:

"I have been following up on your case. PayPal is not accepting your documentation as it is not on formal letterhead as requested when PayPal asked for the documents: "This document must be on letterhead that includes the name, address, and phone number of the individual, business, or organization so that PayPal may contact them if necessary." While the information is available on the documents received, they are not on formal letterhead, which is considered much more reliable than a type written statement, which could be constructed by anyone. Due to the amount of the transaction, PayPal insisted on a formal document as to the condition of the item in question. While the case is closed, if you can provide the document on a formal letterhead, we will contact the seller on your behalf. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are committed to making your experiences at PayPal pleasant and rewarding. "

Letterhead? Why? I just didn't understand with all the information I provided to them. Isn't that enough info.? I called them up this morning and talked to a representative on whats going on. They said that according to the dispute department they need a formal letterhead with the document. I told them i have already provided all the info you need. The rep. said that he agreed that my information was sufficient, BUT the dispute department does not agree. Something I didn't know was that the paypal customer rep. and the dispute department are in different fields in that they don't really work with each other. I asked them why would you tell me that everything is fine in the 2-3 times a week I made the calls to you. He said that paypal reps. do not check the documents, they send it to the dispute department and that they have certain and very strict guidelines to follow. He also told me that since the case was closed on the 20th, they can only do an appeal if I send them the formal letterhead and that they can only ask the seller to refund me the money, but can't do anything if they refuse.. After hearing those words, i panicked and was getting sick in my mind.

I then told him about filing a dispute with my CC company. They said that is the best thing to do at this time for me to get my $ back. I called up my CC company and filed the dispute. They told me to ship the book and post them the tracking number. I did all that day and told me to give them a call 10-15 days after. I guess they will credit my CC account with the money, but I cannot put it into my account.

Soo, with that, I am in a frustrated position. It's close to 2 months now and I still don't have the funds. Does anyone how else I can speed up the process? According to my CC company, it would take anywhere from 30 days being the shortest to an additional 60 days on top of that for me to get the money, which would be around the end of Sept. This is the first time I have filed a dispute with anyone and it is just giving me grief with all the work i've placed on this and the time i invested with paypal. Any suggestions?

similar experience as to what i had...i refused to use paypal for almost 2 years till my $1400 dispute was finally put to rest..2 years!.

i just reopened my paypal account two weeks ago...hoping for no problems.

good luck...at least you have your credit card company to work with.

i asume you still have the book? at least its not a total loss..i had nothing to show for the scam i got burnt on,until the police finally resolved it and paypal refunded my funds 2 years later.

similar experience as to what i had...i refused to use paypal for almost 2 years till my $1400 dispute was finally put to rest..2 years!.

i asume you still have the book? at least its not a total loss..i had nothing to show for the scam i got burnt on,until the police finally resolved it and paypal refunded my funds 2 years later.

They told me to ship the book and post them the tracking number. I did all that

:eek:

-slym

-slym

doh!

Sorry to hear about all of this. It's why I've said for years that Paypal is a joke and a scam, and does little to protect anyone but themselves.

You've just been through the Patented Paypal Wringer™...most of us have been through this, many times, over many years.

Just be patient with the chargeback. It takes time, but it'll happen.

www.paypalsucks.com

That is a legit website. You'll be shocked at what you read.

That business about the 'formal letterhead' is pure bureaucratic nonsense, especially these days. Give me five minutes in Photoshop and I'll give you a professional-looking letterhead. Does this automatically mean any business I conduct printed under this letterhead is more legitimate? I think not.

Sorry to hear this. The seller offers a 7 day return if you weren't happy. You wanted a refund and the seller isn't honouring his promise. Sellers name?

As long as we are at it, who is the eBay seller who expects all of his books to have brittle pages? I don't want to get in the same situation.

+2

Or is it +3...?

:D

-slym

-slym

doh!

Have any of you actually done a CC chargeback?

He did exactly what he was supposed to do here - send the book back with a service that offers a tracking number, and give that info to his credit card company. If he hadn't done that, there's not a chance in hell they would have gone forward with the chargeback case.

The credit companies don't mess around in situations like this - if the OP is patient, I'm almost 100% sure he'll get every cent refunded by them.

Nope, I shipped the book via fed-ex today because that was what my credit card told me. I provided them with the tracking number. So i'm taking their word for it

To

Dark Knight

I am on your side 100% here

BUT... a caveat to consider:

please be careful with the above post.

If this person sees this it could get ugly

If another "wrong" person sees this it could get ugly

please delete that post...

careful CAL

Good luck with the refund. Did he post any interior pics? His few other comic auctions had interior shots.

Here's a link to the auction - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300311111458&viewitem=&salenotsupported

I almost bid on that book. Did you win it?

edit: Never mind...just saw that you left the Neg. for it.

:foryou: