• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Reborn *Spoilers*

77 posts in this topic

Marvel's December '09

CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHO WILL WIELD THE SHIELD?

Written by ED BRUBAKER

Pencils & Cover by BUTCH GUICE

Steve Rogers has returned, but Bucky Barnes is the current Captain America, and has come into his own in the role. Will there be two Captain Americas? Will Bucky go back to being the Winter Soldier? What will happen? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

3941745655_19cc565170.jpg

I betting Bucky will become the Winter Solider or perhaps a new name as he probably would want to shed that old painful time in his life. Do you think Marvel will team up these guys again as they prepare for the 75th anniversary? hm The GA cover swipes in the form of multiple variants leading up to it could be endless.

Marvel's December '09

Written by ED BRUBAKER

Steve Rogers has returned, but Bucky Barnes is the current Captain America, and has come into his own in the role. Will there be two Captain Americas? Will Bucky go back to being the Winter Soldier? What will happen? Decisions, decisions, decisions....

:acclaim: Hiyo!

Actually think this is a little cruel to the character of Bucky Barnes. For Marvel to build him (and fans of the series, so far) to become Captain... to give Steve Rogers back to the role, so soon.

Why did they just not let Bucky be Captain for a year or two and build for a major downfall or some reason to where Bucky cannot continue as Captain (Not death) for a reason for Steve to retake the shield?

Feels like its been over a year? Marvel kept Thor out way too long and ed up his return [almost as if the previous arc never existed, so many unanswered questions] so the last thing I want to see is another one of their top properties sitting in limbo while they figure out some way for him to return. Brubaker made Bucky cool to the point where he can probably carry his own series, they just need to give him a fresh moniker so he is not know as just "Cap's replacement", or plain old "Bucky" going forward.

Actually think this is a little cruel to the character of Bucky Barnes. For Marvel to build him (and fans of the series, so far) to become Captain... to give Steve Rogers back to the role, so soon.

Why did they just not let Bucky be Captain for a year or two and build for a major downfall or some reason to where Bucky cannot continue as Captain (Not death) for a reason for Steve to retake the shield?

I couldn't agree more. This seems so chop-shopped; I would much rather have read Bucky as Cap for the indefinite future and had Steve Rogers as a symbol for Bucky to gather strength from.

Everybody knows that no one stays dead in comics but come on, at least let the guy be dead long enough people start to forget when he died. It just reinforces the stereotype that nobody that matters will stay dead.... I wonder if Steve Roger's will be bring Janet Van Dyne with him? Possibly being carried by Bill Foster... rantrant

I couldn't agree more. This seems so chop-shopped; I would much rather have read Bucky as Cap for the indefinite future and had Steve Rogers as a symbol for Bucky to gather strength from.

Everybody knows that no one stays dead in comics but come on, at least let the guy be dead long enough people start to forget when he died. It just reinforces the stereotype that nobody that matters will stay dead.... I wonder if Steve Roger's will be bring Janet Van Dyne with him? Possibly being carried by Bill Foster... rantrant

Even though the Steve Rogers Cap is my favorite character, I will say that I still have been enjoying Bucky as Cap. They could have waited another year or two to wait to bring Cap back and coincide with the movie and called it - Captain America: The First Avenger: Reborn: Operation Rebirth !

And if Cap can have something stored deep within Vision's memory banks (a la Reborn #3), then he could certainly have the Vision warn The Wasp about the Skrull Invasion (which he would know about because he can apparently skip around through time) and get Bill Foster to stay home the day of the fight in Civil War #4.

Even though the Steve Rogers Cap is my favorite character, I will say that I still have been enjoying Bucky as Cap. They could have waited another year or two to wait to bring Cap back and coincide with the movie and called it - Captain America: The First Avenger: Reborn: Operation Rebirth !

And if Cap can have something stored deep within Vision's memory banks (a la Reborn #3), then he could certainly have the Vision warn The Wasp about the Skrull Invasion (which he would know about because he can apparently skip around through time) and get Bill Foster to stay home the day of the fight in Civil War #4.

Marvel... so cumbersome, :frustrated: !

Could be a lot worse. Imagine multiple universe's like DC, talk about a head ache.

Hey! There is only 52 in DC and not... infinite amount universes that Marvel chalks it up as, to cover up for there enormous garbage when they mess up the continuity of there character series in relations to whatever millions variant cross-over event series they want to come out with!

P.S.

DC is smart and doesn't do things half-baked like Marvel does most times!

Could be a lot worse. Imagine multiple universe's like DC, talk about a head ache.

Hey! There is only 52 in DC and not... infinite amount universes that Marvel chalks it up as, to cover up for there enormous garbage when they mess up the continuity of there character series in relations to whatever millions variant cross-over event series they want to come out with!

P.S.

Thay is correct!

They Let Grant Morrison write their books and it becomes Half Assed all the time

P.S.

Thay is correct!

They Let Grant Morrison write their books and it becomes Half Assed all the time

You wish Marvel Fanboy!

You wish Marvel Fanboy!

I don't collect any Marvel books

Just DC and the occasional Independant

... interesting... :o

I dont hate Marvel or DC

I hate stories that are so mumble and messed yup that it is imposible to read and make sence of.

Batman RIP and Final Crisis are perfect examples

Back onto Reborn, I'm glad that it looks like there aren't going to be anymore crazy 1:100 sketch variants for #3 and on. 2 color variants are more than enough without uncluding a sketch variant. The first two issues of Reborn almost broke the bank for me with #1 having like 4 variants and #2 having the same number practically.

I'm thinking that the end of the series will certainly see the return of Steve Rogers to the Marvel U, but it seems to me that Steve Rogers may not immediately reassume the role of Cap. In a couple interviews Brubaker has questioned whether or not Steve would want to be Cap again right away. Maybe Steve will only don the costume again if he has to save Bucky or something like that.

The DF Variant for #1 is certainly not as rare, but will is definately hard to find in high grade. And of course, for grading, it needs to be an unsigned copy as well!

I ordered one that is in pretty nice shape and I'll be submitting that when I submit all my other Reborn books down the road.

The #2 Frame Variant is supposed to be a 1-per-store variant. The stores that received the 1 copy were stores that had the Marvels Project Release party, so not all stores got 1 copy. And I've personally seen several copies of the variant with production defects.

The only thing I don't trust is that while there probably should only be 500-700 copies [whatever the number is] based on the criteria you noted above, I'm betting there are twice as many printed and one day someone will bring out a box of these because his dad worked as a printer when these were made. Not that I'm starting to collect modern variants as a focus, just doing it in passing as I love the characters.

I totally agree in that regard. Who knows what Marvel will do and no one truly knows how many copies were printed. For myself, I hope that they stay as rare as they are. It probably is the case that there are boxes of that variant just sitting somewhere in the Marvel Offices. But like I said, I hope that it remains a rare variant and not eventually a book that is given away at the Marvel Booth at a comicon (like so many other variants).

Marvel's December '09

Written by ED BRUBAKER

I betting Bucky will become the Winter Solider or perhaps a new name as he probably would want to shed that old painful time in his life. Do you think Marvel will team up these guys again as they prepare for the 75th anniversary? hm The GA cover swipes in the form of multiple variants leading up to it could be endless.

Pretty excited for this to come out! hopefully it actually resolves a nagging issue rather than lead into another book/story

You wish Marvel Fanboy!

I don't collect any Marvel books

Just DC and the occasional Independant

... interesting... :o

I dont hate Marvel or DC

I hate stories that are so mumble and messed yup that it is imposible to read and make sence of.

Batman RIP and Final Crisis are perfect examples

^ This reply is a perfect example.

Don't forget the 1950's Cap is still running around out there. I'm sure Brubaker has plans for that storyline as well.

??? How is he still running around?

He was frozen in time!

Read cap 600