• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasons you don't collect a certain book/title...

34 posts in this topic

I have a thing against books that were published with volumes as part of the numbering system, for instance: Volume 2, Number 1.

I agree! I never gave it much thought, but that kind of numbering does bugs me irrationally. Other than Catman I can't think of any of those titles I go after, though there are certainly some great Centaur runs that do it too.

I can for give Catman & Centaur, but Super-Magician has a lot of making up to do.

Several reasons off the top of my head.

1. I do not like sizes other than the "normal" comic book size. ie: no magazine size or small sized comics. Golden Age size is sweet though, but I prefer Silver Age sized books.

2. No Rawhide Kids because he "came out of the closet". Sorry.

3. Books with Movie Star photo's on the cover.

4. Christmas covers.

5. "Slasher" comics. Zombies. Blood and guts type covers that are just for the sake of blood and guts. Although I do collect some Golden Age horror comics, especially by L.B. Cole.

6. Anything that has to do with Obama.

7. No World Trade Center 9/11 stuff.

8. Did I mention, anything that has to do with Obama?

I forgot abnormally-sized comics, I don't collect those.

No photo covers and painted covers for me. Painted pulp covers, fine.

I don't rule out matte covers, but I agree with October that the colors don't pop out as much. I do want a Dagar 14 though :)

No photo covers and painted covers for me. Painted pulp covers, fine.

I don't rule out matte covers, but I agree with October that the colors don't pop out as much. I do want a Dagar 14 though :)

Is that Dager #14, or is it All Great Comics #12 (another Dagar #14)?

I know. It doesn't make sense. But there are two Dagar #14's. One just has the title All Great Comics #12.

As an underground collector I have to very flexible when it comes to size and format - everything from tiny minis to tabloids in my collection.

Not big on painted covers outside of pulps/paperbacks, and I really don't care for photo covers.

I have no problem with matte covers, though I sold my Dagar #14.

Not a fan of X-mas covers - but I can see the appeal of Halloween covers.

Rawhide Kid is cool with me, thought the mini was pretty well done, actually. I like the old Atlas covers the best though.

While I think vintage political profile comics are pretty cool ( though I don't collect), I have next to no interest in the current flood of new ones coming out - though if the art was interesting I'd consider.

While I like violent covers from the Gold and Atom ages, and have a few moderns with grotesque imagery on the cover - the garish painted covers on the old Eerie Pubs. magazines are so hideously over the top that I sold the few I had.

Interesting question... Gives me a chance to criticize...

I am down on comics where the cover artist doesn't seem to know the basics of anatomy. Whenever judging the artwork, I always look at HANDS and FEET to see if the artist has half a clue about the human form.

Note: Ernie Bushmiller is exempt!

I actually like oversized comics. I remember getting the tabloid sized Jumbos and Masters many years back and marveling how cool they were.

Several reasons off the top of my head.

6. Anything that has to do with Obama.

8. Did I mention, anything that has to do with Obama?

Were there a lot of golden-age comics with Obama? I must have missed them.

I'll give you props for your point because this is the Gold Section.

However, the original question was "Anyone have (weird) reasons that they refuse to collect a certain type of book, publisher, title, etc?"

I thought about referencing the many Golden Age stories of the Messiah, but I won't go there. I also thought about referencing Best Comics #1 from 1939 (Red Mask) but I won't go there either. :)

I will just bow out gracefully.

1. I'm not a fan of books GA books where there is no personal connection. Batman and Superman are fun to collect because I grew up on them. At SOME point when I've A.) accomplished most of my SA-CA collecting goals and B.) picked up more GA Bat/Tecs/Supes/Actions, I'll probably begin tackling some of the Golden Ag EC Horror Comics because we had a stack of them in my old elementary school library (librarian had 'em mixed in with Harvey Comics and probably didn't even notice!)

2. I really don't like the covers that are photographs of people. I somehow remember feeling mislead as a kid when I saw the photo on the cover but then opened the book to (usually) find subpar comic art. Not saying that's always the case, but it's the impression that I had and it's stuck with me ever since.

Mac Man,

I agree with you on the photo covers. Even as a kid I thought, wow, they were too cheap to have an artist draw the cover! Dell's from late 50s-60s come to mind. My sister would buy them but I hated them...