• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI JOE #21,..Still worth slabbing?

77 posts in this topic

It took a lot to send this off, knowing the original 9.8 grade could slip. But Jesse at fingerprint.ink did an awesome job with all my Joe comics!

Congrats! I dont know if I would have the balls to risk the grade slip with this book!

As of the last census update, G.I. Joe 21 has gone from 3 CGC 9.8s at the beginning of the year to 23.

That's a 6x growth factor in-year. Wow!

A book selling for 3k in 9.8 will do that. Especially a book printed after 1980. Not rocket science, Nick. But everyone who gets one for $500-800 (which is where they should be) should send $50 to the dudes who paid $3k.

But everyone who gets one for $500-800 (which is where they should be) should send $50 to the dudes who paid $3k.

Well, given that a crash in the G.I. Joe #21 CGC 9.8 market poses no systemic risk to the overall financial system, I oppose this proposed bailout plan. Let the $3K buyers write down their investments to fair market value without getting bailout money. :P

As of the last census update, G.I. Joe 21 has gone from 3 CGC 9.8s at the beginning of the year to 23.

That's a 6x growth factor in-year. Wow!

A book selling for 3k in 9.8 will do that. Especially a book printed after 1980. Not rocket science, Nick. But everyone who gets one for $500-800 (which is where they should be) should send $50 to the dudes who paid $3k.

That money sure does get a seller's attention, which I don't blame them.

Nobody held a gun to a buyer's head, though, and said, "Spend a crazy amount for this book or else!"

Or did they?

hm

considering there are people who absolutely must have the first - often marketed as 'the only' - 9.8 copy of certain books, it seems that wildly overpaying for common CA books in that grade range is an acceptable risk.

i ain't crying for any of 'em

I am not crying for any of them either. Merely stating that those stalwart, overpaying gotta-have-it guys are the only ones that get everyone else to get off their keister, pull out their nicest copies, get them pressed, and present the world with the glut of copies that leads to 70% price reductions. See e.g. IM 128, ASM 301, MM15, Harby 1 and every other mainstream Copper book that has ever gotten hot. They are not rare in 9.8 and they never will be, no matter what anyone on here says. If it says Marvel or DC (or Valiant) at the top, they are not rare in 9.8. They just haven't been slabbed yet. :preach:

I am not crying for any of them either. Merely stating that those stalwart, overpaying gotta-have-it guys are the only ones that get everyone else to get off their keister, pull out their nicest copies, get them pressed, and present the world with the glut of copies that leads to 70% price reductions. See e.g. IM 128, ASM 301, MM15, Harby 1 and every other mainstream Copper book that has ever gotten hot. They are not rare in 9.8 and they never will be, no matter what anyone on here says. If it says Marvel or DC (or Valiant) at the top, they are not rare in 9.8. They just haven't been slabbed yet. :preach:

When did we start assuming that all 9.8 books are pressed? I never even heard of pressing being a huge problem until a few months ago. Couldn't all the G.I. Joe 21 9.8's actually be genuine 9.8's?

When did we start assuming that all 9.8 books are pressed? I never even heard of pressing being a huge problem until a few months ago. Couldn't all the G.I. Joe 21 9.8's actually be genuine 9.8's?

1st off, I don't assume that they have been pressed, I assume that they may have been pressed. And almost certainly some of them are unpressed. But also almost certainly some of them are. I could care less. The bottom line is, in this day and age, it is not just the books that have been preserved in 9.8 but also the books that have been preserved very well and that have only pressable defects that will go in to CGC when the 1st couple uber-high priced sales show up.