• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is keeping PGX in business?

53 posts in this topic

Knowing the rockey history of there company and the scandels ( over/under grading of books not detecting restoration among other things) Really the only good thing to say about there company is there comic cases( sorry CGC, but they sort'a have you beat there) So who is giveing them enough business to stay in the comics grading market? Is it a select few people? people who are not aware of the differant companies (or in my case didn't know the truth till recently) or something else? I have my ideas who might be keeping them afloat, but I want to know what you think?

Location, location, location. Would say most of their clients come from the Pacific Northwest where they show up at comicons in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. Pgx will always find customers as long as Cgc takes 3 months to slab a SA :juggle: comic.

Location, location, location. Would say most of their clients come from the Pacific Northwest where they show up at comicons in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. Pgx will always find customers as long as Cgc takes 3 months to slab a SA :juggle: comic.

Plus, it only costs $10 to slab a Modern.

Supposedly, he also has special arrangements with certain sellers that seem to get a high level of 9.8-10.0 books, on average.

There was a list going around here for a little bit of some sellers that when you received their PGX books and submitted into CGC, it wasn't uncommon to find they had been trimmed or touched up.

I just now posted this in a different PGX thread, but I will paste it here:

"I just went to the PGX web site for the first time in over a year. I wanted to look up how to remove a book from one of their holders.

I noticed that they now have a Signature Series. It states to find out who is a witness for them, you have to contact them via email or phone. Anyone know anyone who is a PGX witness? Not looking for one, just curious.

Their SS label is Silver Chrome in color. Doesn't look near as good as a yellow label. Always liked yellow myself. I go for yellow covers a lot."

I was at a little Tysons show last weekend, and there was a guy with a bunch of PGX slabs. He said they're cheaper and faster than CGC, and he likes working with them. (shrug)

Supposedly, he also has special arrangements with certain sellers that seem to get a high level of 9.8-10.0 books, on average.

There was a list going around here for a little bit of some sellers that when you received their PGX books and submitted into CGC, it wasn't uncommon to find they had been trimmed or touched up.

Could one of these guys be Reynold Jay of biccomix? He seams to have a very large PGX 9.9 - 10 selection of books for sell. In fact HE was the one who told me to go the PGX route when having books slabed.

Could one of these guys be Reynold Jay of biccomix? He seams to have a very large PGX 9.9 - 10 selection of books for sell. In fact HE was the one who told me to go the PGX route when having books slabed.

Bingo!

How many 10.0 books can you have in a collection before someone yells "BS?"

There is another in Arizona that also seems to have a long list of books overgraded or tampered with. But in checking his eBay profile right now, it looks like he messed with another board member and received a negative. He will post the listing pictures in the body of the lot, and then when you win he takes it down and what you may receive is another copy, not as well centered, and sometimes one or two page quality levels off. It appears he now has a number of negatives, and hasn't sold in a little bit. Good!

A few years back you might find on Ebay a couple of hundred PGX books. Today in BIN there are over 1600 listings. So someone is doing business with them.

I'm sure he is not rolling in dough, but I'd say he is making some cash. Not CGC bucks, but it's probably a good part time job.

I know my LCS uses PGX although I've told him about some of the issues raised here. I think part of it has to do with the fact that they picked PGX waaaay back when and have just stuck with it since. Great guy and I think he's a stand up fellow---just kind found something comfortable and stuck with it.

A few years back you might find on Ebay a couple of hundred PGX books. Today in BIN there are over 1600 listings. So someone is doing business with them.

I'm sure he is not rolling in dough, but I'd say he is making some cash. Not CGC bucks, but it's probably a good part time job.

His overhead is a lot lower too. When you are your entire grading team and your "headquarters" is your mother's basement, it's easy to keep the costs down.

His overhead is a lot lower too. When you are your entire grading team and your "headquarters" is your mother's basement, it's easy to keep the costs down.

Here is the safe Daniel keeps the books locked up in.

159wood-flattop.jpg

Psst - the garage is the "HQ." The basement is where Daniel lives.

lol

-slym

Here is the safe Daniel keeps the books locked up in.

159wood-flattop.jpg

Hey, be careful with that picture. I think Daniel had it set to the combination when that was shot, so folks may try and break in now.

Phweeww! Glad we caught that.

The cost of slabbing with PGX is alot cheaper then CGC and in this economy people for the most part will lean towards the cheaper option. While PGX has there scams and scandals CGC is not perfect either, so someone comes here for the first time and see the trimmed books CGC missed, or some other issue they just move on.

Another problem I have with 3rd party graders is that they are supposed to be neutral with no vested interest, so why is it some books are graded by there perceived market value?

Knowing the rockey history of there company and the scandels ( over/under grading of books not detecting restoration among other things) Really the only good thing to say about there company is there comic cases( sorry CGC, but they sort'a have you beat there) So who is giveing them enough business to stay in the comics grading market? Is it a select few people? people who are not aware of the differant companies (or in my case didn't know the truth till recently) or something else? I have my ideas who might be keeping them afloat, but I want to know what you think?

Sound like if you have a nice case that's better than CGC, anyone can start up a grading service and make few bucks on the side.

Who cares if you can't detect restoration some of the time.

Who is the person grading books and what is his background? Is this person a respected person in the grading community?

Just how professional is this "PGX"?

Right now and probably for a very long time it's only CGC for me.

"Maybe some of us should start our own grading company, charge a bit less than CGC, just grade super freaking tight, have a really nice case and just let the money start flowing in.

Just my 2c

The cost of slabbing with PGX is alot cheaper then CGC and in this economy people for the most part will lean towards the cheaper option. While PGX has there scams and scandals CGC is not perfect either, so someone comes here for the first time and see the trimmed books CGC missed, or some other issue they just move on.

Another problem I have with 3rd party graders is that they are supposed to be neutral with no vested interest, so why is it some books are graded by there perceived market value?

they are not graded based on perceived value, there is a higher cost, we have been told, for the insurance costs associated with the higher value book ...not sure if that is a valid explaination or not, but I believe that is what i was told (shrug)