• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is keeping PGX in business?

53 posts in this topic

they are not graded based on perceived value, there is a higher cost, we have been told, for the insurance costs associated with the higher value book ...not sure if that is a valid explaination or not, but I believe that is what i was told (shrug)

I've been told the same thing when I called CGC before to ask about their rates.

they are not graded based on perceived value, there is a higher cost, we have been told, for the insurance costs associated with the higher value book ...not sure if that is a valid explaination or not, but I believe that is what i was told (shrug)

I've been told the same thing when I called CGC before to ask about their rates.

I believe it also has to do with type of storage and handling costs, etc... naturally, you don't leave an Action 1 sitting in a grading room, it needs "special" storage and attention (safes (shrug) ) relative to last week's modern, and I am sure there are costs associated with that hm

PGX is a B-list competitor; but they are much faster and less expensive. Their grading is more volatile than CGC (one grader vs 3 will do that) and everyone knows their resto check has flaws, but you get what you pay for, and many people like cheap.

I think both need to be kept in bussiness, CGC for all pooks is not a good Idea..

They grade pooks now? I'm getting mine out now. :baiting:

I never heard of POOKS. How many issues were there? hm

DRX

of course pgx is cheaper and faster.

one grader vs. three.

half-arsed resto check.

no worry about buying back a book when the inevitable mistakes are made.

no security on-site outside of perhaps a safe or two.

i just don't understand the cheap angle. you get what you pay for, right?

I could see PGX having value as a cheaper, better slab simply to protect a book, assuming you were confident in your own grading/resto detectiveness and not overly worried about resale.

then just put it in a mylar and save yourself $9.80

I could see PGX having value as a cheaper, better slab simply to protect a book, assuming you were confident in your own grading/resto detectiveness and not overly worried about resale.

then just put it in a mylar and save yourself $9.80

:applause:

-slym

I was at a little Tysons show last weekend, and there was a guy with a bunch of PGX slabs. He said they're cheaper and faster than CGC, and he likes working with them. (shrug)

For a lot of sellers it's all about convenience and profit (duh!)

Several years ago, when they were CGG, I sent in about 40 cheap moderns on a prescreen (since they only required 30). It was stuff like GI Joe and X-Men (150 - 200)... books I paid about $1 or less for.

As I recall I got back 27 of them in 9.6 or 9.8. It cost me less than $325 and I had them in about 2 weeks. The 9.6s all brought at least $10 (covered the cost) and the 9.8s all brought $20 (GI Joes) to $30 (some X-Men). After all was said and done I made about $600... or about $200 profit after eBay fees and book cost.

Had I done it through CGC and gotten similar grades I probably could have grossed $650 - $700 or so. However I would have had to wait 4 months for my books and paid closer to $550. So, you see... on some things it's all about turnaround and the bottom line.

I use both PGX and CGC for my books. And in all honesty I make a bigger profit when I sell a PGX graded one. A lot has to do with the cost of grading. Much less money to have grading done by PGX. The only bad thing I see using PGX is that there are a lot less collectors willing to buy a PGX book. But that has not stopped me from selling any. I still have people buying them anyway. And like I said before, I make a profit. Since all my comics are originally bought by me I don't worry about the "restoration check". Seems kind of pointless when you know you have un-touched comics. For a lot of my key issues I use CGC mostly because I know collectors are gonna jump on them no matter what and I'll see a much bigger profit. But as far as regular old comics I use PGX. So for me both companies are fine.

Sounds like you just need to get a book in a plastic "nice" looking case and it will sell regardless of the reputation of the grading company("who's grading it"), who's backing the grading company..etc...I mean "it's in a plastic case...so I want it".

I get the feeling it's like.....

"I don't know "joe schmo" the grader(credientials), but it's a grading company and the book is in a plactic case with a label" so let's buy it" mentality.

I guess convenience "CAN" overule "who is this person(s) that is actually grading my book". Interesting.

Sounds like you just need to get a book in a plastic "nice" looking case and it will sell regardless of the reputation of the grading company("who's grading it"), who's backing the grading company..etc...I mean "it's in a plastic case...so I want it".

It's the iPhone mentality... "If it's shinny and from Apple, I need it."