• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Do you for certain that it was pressed or is it possible that it was a straight re-sub?

I was told by the purchaser that he pressed it.

Now, whether the pressing actually accomplished the grade bump or it was simply the result of the resub, we'll never know.

Thanks. It seemed like an attractive 8.0.

seems like a more attractive 8.5 now. to me and most people i hang with in the hobby.

Really, please do point the differences between the two books. popcorn.gif

So happy your hood is happy. yeahok.gif

The question is, do you sell the new book to the known crack, press and re-sub gamer? Does this pose an ethical choice for anyone? Or do we sell and forget it.

Would like to hear folks thoughts on this, as I had not till this thread considered it.

yeah, that's the way to go; don't sell to certain people, no telling what they may later do WITH THEIR OWN PROPERTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a perfectly legitimate question and never did he state that the owner didn't have the **right** to crack and manipulate. The seller also maintains the right to sell it to whom he wants for whatever reason he wants.

Some of the best deals and books I've ever gotten have been collector to collector transactions where the seller prefers that the book went to someone who would appreciate the book, that is, a "good home," rather than someone who would try to squeeze every last penny out of it.

Thankfully, to some, it's still not all about money.

Yes, it absolutely a perfectly legitimate question.

And the answer for me is yes. When I am faced with the option, I will not routinely sell or buy, for that matter, from or to certain people in this hobby. And the reason is what I know they will likely do to books without disclosing the information.

I should say that when their practices change to allow for informed decisions, I would be perfectly willing to change my position. It is not set in stone.

If I was a defrauded ebay buyer, I'd want my lawyer to be able to include better sentences in my Petition. that is your next "niche," right? didn't I see that in the last couple of days?

If I was a defrauded ebay buyer, I'd want my lawyer to be able to include better sentences in my Petition. that is your next "niche," right? didn't I see that in the last couple of days?

Billy,

As a fellow attorney -- but certainly someone who has been hard on Zaid -- fair is fair -- I make typos all the time when typing on a message board -- you don't proof it the same way... I think Mark just made a mistake here... I don't like to jump on people for typos here unless they've done the same to others.

Billy,

As a fellow attorney -- but certainly someone who has been hard on Zaid -- fair is fair -- I make typos all the time when typing on a message board -- you don't proof it the same way... I think Mark just made a mistake here... I don't like to jump on people for typos here unless they've done the same to others.

foolkiller, as yet another atty, I KNOW. i was just having a bit of fun with the guy i consider the biggest busybody on the whole board, and who put his nose into a post of mine. i bet he made good sentences in his jfk litigation [don't i have that right? isn't this that guy?]. anyway, feel free to "jump" on me any time you spot a typo--don't bother with the lack of caps tho', as i'm doing that on purpose.

This brings to mind a question. Lets say that as a seller you go through the above scenario with any buyer, fast forward to another book, equally nice, known original condition.

Then the known press and sub buyer makes offer and you are pretty sure this new book is about to go through the same process as previous book.

Hope that makes sense. The question is, do you sell the new book to the known crack, press and re-sub gamer? Does this pose an ethical choice for anyone? Or do we sell and forget it.

Would like to hear folks thoughts on this, as I had not till this thread considered it.

Since I have always been a collector and think more from a collector's point of view, the answer to this question is very simple and obvious..............No Deal!

I guess this really comes from my own collecting personality. When I buy a book, it's because I have made a careful decision to purchase that book for the long term as it will most likely be sitting in my collection for an extended period of time.

As a result, when I go to sell a book, I would always prefer it to go to another collector who is also going to appreicate the book for what it is. In fact, I would be willing to accept slightly less money if I knew it was going to a good home, as long as the difference was reasonable.

If I knew the potential purchaser's intent was to buy, apply hidden resstoration, resell the book with undisclosed resto, I would most definitely not be selling to this individual. The only way that I would sell to a person such as this is if the price was so high that I could not refuse the offer. Of course, this would never happen because the purchaser's sole intent is to make a profit, and with my price target, he would only end up making a big loss even after the hidden work has been done.

Of course, If I was a dealer, then the situation would be totally different as buying and selling would then be a necessary part of my livelihood. As a collector, I would never envision having to sell a book just for money alone.

Billy,

foolkiller, as yet another atty, I KNOW. i was just having a bit of fun with the guy i consider the biggest busybody on the whole board, and who put his nose into a post of mine. i bet he made good sentences in his jfk litigation [don't i have that right? isn't this that guy?]. anyway, feel free to "jump" on me any time you spot a typo--don't bother with the lack of caps tho', as i'm doing that on purpose.

I'm a "busybody"? 27_laughing.gif I'm barely on these boards nowadays. And I have no clue who you even are.

I was very successful in the JFK litigation (and your problem with that is, what? -- oh the old deflect the fact you don't want to respond to my post and attack me, gotcha thumbsup2.gif) because it was something I cared about. Responding to your post, ahhh, not so much.

Of course, you still never responded to the question I posed as to what was the difference between the book as an 8.0 and an 8.5. I'm betting you can't identify anything, probably because there really isn't any difference, and you just wanted to thumb your nose at those who were concerned that a 65 year old beautiful book had been manipulated for greed. But, rather than simply say that outright as your personal opinion, which you are entitled to, instead you had to intentionally convey a condescending negative attitude. And now you're bothered because someone called you out on it. If you can't stand the fire, get out of the kitchen.

P.S. I didn't realize we needed a spelling/grammar check. If that is the best you can do to criticize something I wrote, geez, give me a break. Why even bother? gossip.gif

P.P.S. I did appreciate the comment Brian. hi.gif

I was very successful in the JFK litigation (and your problem with that is, what? -- oh the old deflect the fact you don't want to respond to my post and attack me, gotcha thumbsup2.gif) because it was something I cared about. Responding to your post, ahhh, not so much.

now this sentence could be read to mean you were successful with the jfk stuff, but unsuccessful in responding to my post. you didn't mean it that way, did you counselor? it does read that way tho', as the other way to read it would be to assume you didn't care about responding to my post at all, yet you responded at length with your usual tired litany.

mark, don't waste time with my posts; there are defrauded ebayers out there to solicit. get after your new niche before someone trumps you on it.

What is your issue with Zaid? I've never even seen the two of you exchange any words on these boards before, and you've never struck me as a troublemaker board member. So why are you suddenly going out of your way to antagonize him? confused-smiley-013.gif

What is your issue with Zaid? I've never even seen the two of you exchange any words on these boards before, and you've never struck me as a troublemaker board member. So why are you suddenly going out of your way to antagonize him? confused-smiley-013.gif

'cuz.

It is really ironic that someone with grammatical shortcomings is going after someone for one awkward sentence.

what does that mean, "ironic?" do tell--vocabulary is another of my shortcomings, cod.

Do you for certain that it was pressed or is it possible that it was a straight re-sub?

Now, whether the pressing actually accomplished the grade bump or it was simply the result of the resub, we'll never know.

I certainly thought so. The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition.

There was absolutely no need to play the crack and press game -- except for the sheer profit of it all. Plain and simple. A spade is a spade.

How are you certain that this book was not already pressed up to the 8.0 grade, prior to your Hakes Auction Spring 2005 win? Is pressing something that Hakes will disclose, if known? "The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition", then it leaves your hands and now should be considered tainted because it came back upon re-sub with an 8.5? come on...sour grapes over leaving a piddly $1200 on the table sleeping.gif

"The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition", then it leaves your hands and now should be considered tainted because it came back upon re-sub with an 8.5? come on...sour grapes over leaving a piddly $1200 on the table sleeping.gif

Not what was said. It's now considered 'tainted' by those who care because it has been confirmed it has been pressed.

Whether the 'upset' is because of the $1200 bump is another matter entirely.

We know it's been pressed. You assume it's sour grapes.

It is really ironic that someone with grammatical shortcomings is going after someone for one awkward sentence.

what does that mean, "ironic?" do tell--vocabulary is another of my shortcomings, cod.

And you're an 'atty'?

Methinks someone is yanking someone's chain here. yeahok.gif

And you're an 'atty'?

Methinks someone is yanking someone's chain here. yeahok.gif

Agreed.

I certainly thought so. The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition.

There was absolutely no need to play the crack and press game -- except for the sheer profit of it all. Plain and simple. A spade is a spade.

How are you certain that this book was not already pressed up to the 8.0 grade, prior to your Hakes Auction Spring 2005 win? Is pressing something that Hakes will disclose, if known? "The book survived 65 years in gorgeous condition", then it leaves your hands and now should be considered tainted because it came back upon re-sub with an 8.5? come on...sour grapes over leaving a piddly $1200 on the table sleeping.gif

Fair point about whether it had been pressed before this confirmed act. There is no evidence of that so I have no idea. I believe the book was also sold as an 8.0 in Heritage before Hakes (but I am saying that from memory). But we really don't know.

We do know it has now been manipulated.

As far as your "sour grapes" comment about the money, 27_laughing.gif. Like I care about that. Some people - perhaps not yourself - put principle over money. Nice try though.

Its been awhile since you tried to diss on me for no reason, where ya been? hi.gif