• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Actually, I'd be the first to tell you if any of my books were pressed, cleaned, color touched etc. It has been a matter of principle to me for years. And I give a full refund on any purchase you are unhappy with WITH NO EXPLANATION NECESSARY. But this isn't a business deal. This is someone nit picking for information that really isn't necessary at this time. If I were selling him a book I'd be happy to tell him everything.

I'm delighted by your willingness to make full disclosure on the books you sell. thumbsup2.gif While it may not matter a hoot to you or many collectors whether a book has been pressed or dry cleaned, there are at least a few of us out there for whom it does matter. Unlike the dealers who hide behind the self-serving supposition that collectors who care about pressing and cleaning are such a tiny minority so as to be inconsequential, the dealers such as yourself providing full disclosure get the benefit of increased business from collectors like me who care about such things.

Just one thing: when giving your disclosure spare me the details about what you had for breakfast this morning. 27_laughing.gif

Richard's experience with re-grading mirrors my own, and supports the message that I have tried to shout (from atop my pedestal insane.gif) on the boards for years: CGC grading is capricious. I, too, tended to crack out my books in the earliest days of buying slabs, and now as I get closer to retirement age, I'm more conscious of re-selling issues and have been getting books re-slabbed. I've had regrades go up a notch, go down a notch, go up two notches ( 893whatthe.gif), go down two notches ( frustrated.gif), and go down a notch along with a blue to green color change ( Christo_pull_hair.gif).

The variability of it all has strongly influenced my collecting habits, such that while I love to collect ultra high grade books, the only 9.8s in my collection were purchased raw back in the day and submitted by me - I have yet to purchase a single 9.8 or above slabbed comic. In light of the vagaries of the grading game, and the potential for slab damage to undo an ultra-high grade, I think it's a wee bit wacky to buy 9.8s. confused-smiley-013.gif

So my first question is, if it doesn't bother you at all, then why not disclose these changes for everyone else to know about?

Why not tell me what you had for breakfast this morning?

Why not disclose what kind of underwear you wear, boxers or briefs (or are you a commando type)?

Why not not respond?

Because this is too much fun!

I didn't save the original tags and have no idea what the original serial numbers were. If it so important, call CGC and have someone spend their time tracking down that information. I'll be happy to sign off on it.

I take this to mean that you will not be forthright in your business dealings, if a person were to inquire about known enhancements to books you sell.

Actually, I'd be the first to tell you if any of my books were pressed, cleaned, color touched etc. It has been a matter of principle to me for years. And I give a full refund on any purchase you are unhappy with WITH NO EXPLANATION NECESSARY. But this isn't a business deal. This is someone nit picking for information that really isn't necessary at this time. If I were selling him a book I'd be happy to tell him everything.

thumbsup2.gif Don't give this clown your serial numbers, Richard. Mark loves to jam his nose into everyone's business as though the hobby owes him whatever information he demands (his favorite tactic is the ol' "Why won't you give me the info I want? Are you hiding something?" routine, even though he has no interest in the books and just wants to be able to show his paper tiger organization that he's "getting results"). I don't know why so many people feel compelled to take him seriously or cave in to his demands, but it happens occasionally.

The truth is, you don't owe him anything. It is no secret that CGC is not 100% consistent from day to day (let alone from year to year), and only the most naive and/or uninformed collectors think or expect otherwise. If the few people who still listen to him (you'll recognize them by the way they post multiple times in succession with the same message over and over -- it's a clever strategy to mask their true numbers, kind of like the villagers of Santo Poco did in the movie "Three Amigos!") think that you're hiding something because you won't cave, I say who cares? This is definitely a situation where principle counts for something, and I think you should stick to your guns. 893applaud-thumb.gif

what an unbelievable post FFB! what side of the cave did you wake up on? It was almost Ann Coulterish! Zaid's paper tiger organization is getting so little traction, so why do you feel the need to slam him and it? Calm down buddy. nothing Zaid does or will do will ever dislodge the current prevailing trends in our hobby.... so why do you post appearing so angry and threatened by him? I think it actually strengthens his cause.

no?

A complete and utter distortion of the facts....but don't let me slow you down. Go, baby go! smirk.gif

adendum: I agree with you that Richard doesn't have to give anyone anything. But why so insulting? To me that is an indication that you've given up debating the issues and just gone on the personal attack.

You got something personal with Zaid, go for it. But spare us, already. Go play Alpha-Dog somewhere else.

And quit taking cheap shots at NOD (who if they were really the paper-tiger outfit you describe, should be of no concern at all, right?) and all the other thoughtful collectors (ie Namisgr, Pov, etc.) who have real issues with the current state of things.

Now, I know it's the weekend after dinner with Steve....and you're filled with holy fire....but take it down a notch pilgrim. It's only Tuesday and we got a whole week ahead of us. yay.gif

what an unbelievable post FFB! what side of the cave did you wake up on? It was almost Ann Coulterish! Zaid's paper tiger organization is getting so little traction, so why do you feel the need to slam him and it? Calm down buddy. nothing Zaid does or will do will ever dislodge the current prevailing trends in our hobby.... so why do you post appearing so angry and threatened by him? I think it actually strengthens his cause.

no?

Strengthens his cause? 27_laughing.gif You are giving him wayyyy too much credit.

Why do I feel the need to slam him about it? Because I find his ridiculous attitude of entitlement tiresome and wanted to say so. That ok with you? No? Tough. I am sure that he'll be here sooner or later to back himself up and maybe even post a few yeahok.gif so don't worry about Mr. Zaid.

Oh, and by the way, why are you so threatened by what I said that you had to post about it? I think you just strengthened my cause. yay.gifpoke2.gif

Way to start slinging insults Scott thumbsup2.gif

Why is it that you feel the need to denigrate the NOD and all it's members? Does this organization make you feel threatened?

I just don't follow your logic on why you can't share an opinion without belittling those you are opining against. confused-smiley-013.gif

A complete distortion of the facts....but don't let me slow you down. Go, baby go! smirk.gif

Tell you what -- when I want your opinion, I'll slam my head in a car door. Until then, you could just save yourself the effort and spare me your input.

It's the only one why you would need to start an entire organization to voice an opinion about. Everyone already agrees on disclosure of the other aspects, so there's no need to lobby dealers to disclose color touch or piece additions.

Really? Tell that to Ewert's victims...

Why is it that you feel the need to denigrate the NOD and all it's members? Does this organization make you feel threatened?

I just don't follow your logic on why you can't share an opinion without belittling those you are opining against. confused-smiley-013.gif

Who says logic has anything to do with it?

And why did I belittle Zaid? Because he's belittleable. 27_laughing.gif It's totally cool for Mark to jump into everyone's business, but it's not ok for people who don't like it to call him on it? WHAT-ever. 893blahblah.gif

It's the only one why you would need to start an entire organization to voice an opinion about. Everyone already agrees on disclosure of the other aspects, so there's no need to lobby dealers to disclose color touch or piece additions.

Really? Tell that to Ewert's victims...

You think the NOD is going to stop the Jason Ewerts of the hobby from practicing their trade? 27_laughing.gif I would not have expected this level of naivety from someone in PR. foreheadslap.gif

A complete distortion of the facts....but don't let me slow you down. Go, baby go! smirk.gif

Tell you what -- when I want your opinion, I'll slam my head in a car door. Until then, you could just save yourself the effort and spare me your input.

Or, just put me on ingnore, Alpha-Puppy! poke2.gif

And why did I belittle Zaid? Because he's belittleable. 27_laughing.gif It's totally cool for Mark to jump into everyone's business, but it's not ok for people who don't like it to call him on it? WHAT-ever. 893blahblah.gif

Scott....get a couple high-profile cases and I guarantee, you'll start feeling better about yourself. thumbsup2.gif

So my first question is, if it doesn't bother you at all, then why not disclose these changes for everyone else to know about?

Why not tell me what you had for breakfast this morning?

Why not disclose what kind of underwear you wear, boxers or briefs (or are you a commando type)?

Why not not respond?

Because this is too much fun!

I didn't save the original tags and have no idea what the original serial numbers were. If it so important, call CGC and have someone spend their time tracking down that information. I'll be happy to sign off on it.

I take this to mean that you will not be forthright in your business dealings, if a person were to inquire about known enhancements to books you sell.

Don't give this clown your serial numbers, Richard.

What serial numbers?

Bedrock made two statements regarding labels/tags/serial numbers.

First...

"I sent them in with the labels in the back of each mylar with each book."

and then...

"I didn't save the original tags and have no idea what the original serial numbers were."

...So there isn't any serial numbers to give.

Scott....get a couple high-profile cases and I guarantee, you'll start feeling better about yourself. thumbsup2.gif

You think I'm jealous of Mark's legal abilities? 27_laughing.gif That is the ultimate joke of all, but you'd have to be a lawyer to understand how funny it is. I suppose his resume looks pretty important to someone who gauges legal skill by how often a lawyer appears on TV.

Suffice it to say that if I ever try to get John Wilkes Booth's body dug up out of a grave that is over 100 years old just to get my name in the paper, I hope someone shoots me.

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif