• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manufactured Gold

2,576 posts in this topic

Chlorine bleach used to be used to make paper, but I do not believe anyone uses it to restore paper. I have read that it is extremely harmful to the paper. The chlorine bleaching and the washing the guy gave it (without resizing the paper) is probably what caused it to lose its strength and become brittle. Most conservators use hydrogen peroxide (which breaks down into oxygen and water if left in paper) or other substances, like Chloramine-T, which needs to be washed out and can leave behind harmful substances, or aqueous light bleaching, where paper is immersed in an alkaline solution and is covered with a layer of plexiglas or mylar and is exposed to sunlight for a couple of hours. This last method is the one that I believe Susan Cicconi prefers.

Great info. thumbsup2.gif Thanks.

Another thing that seems odd is the "two detached center wraps" to "2 small pieces of tape on centerfold".

Is that something a conservator would do? Assuming tape was added for the 2nd incarnation, to secure the detached wraps.

Chlorine bleach used to be used to make paper, but I do not believe anyone uses it to restore paper. I have read that it is extremely harmful to the paper. The chlorine bleaching and the washing the guy gave it (without resizing the paper) is probably what caused it to lose its strength and become brittle. Most conservators use hydrogen peroxide (which breaks down into oxygen and water if left in paper) or other substances, like Chloramine-T, which needs to be washed out and can leave behind harmful substances, or aqueous light bleaching, where paper is immersed in an alkaline solution and is covered with a layer of plexiglas or mylar and is exposed to sunlight for a couple of hours. This last method is the one that I believe Susan Cicconi prefers.

Great info. thumbsup2.gif Thanks.

Another thing that seems odd is the "two detached center wraps" to "2 small pieces of tape on centerfold".

Is that something a conservator would do? Assuming tape was added for the 2nd incarnation, to secure the detached wraps.

I wouldn't think so, but anyone with basic knowledge of restoration knows not to use chlorine bleach on comics. It would bleach the interior inks along with the paper and there would be no way to hide that.

Also, if someone used archival tape on the centerfold as staple support, the label notes would probably say "centerfold reinforced" instead of "two pieces of tape."

For some reason Triple Crown incarnations are really facinating. Probably because of that try, try, try again, year after year, effort...

You beat me to the punch. My next post was gonna focus on the evolution of treated books with three different certifications. This is an area that may see increased exploitation in the future.

BTW, I did not have the book you posted catalogued. I will add it. Thx!

I hope to have another manufactured case up shortly ...

For some reason Triple Crown incarnations are really facinating. Probably because of that try, try, try again, year after year, effort.

All Star Comics #43 CGC 8.0

All Star Comics #43 CGC 8.5

All Star Comics #43 CGC 9.2

LewisWayne Gallery

So, since Heritage says no employees ever bid on these auctions for resale, what exactly happens in a situation like this? Someone buys the book through Heritage as an 8.0 and thinks it looks like an 8.5 so they send it to CGC. They get the grade they want and they decide to resell it through Heritage to someone else who buys it thinking the new 8.5 looks like a 9.2. So then this second person cracks the case again and decides to send it to CGC and this time it comes back a 9.2. After it comes back from CGC as a 9.2 this person too decides to sell the book through Heritage. Then a third person buys the 9.2 through Heritage and shortly after that decides to sell the book directly to Halperin at significantly less than what he paid. Then, rather than auctioning off the book using his own multi-million dollar consignment service Halperin decides he'll have better luck consigning the book to LewisWayneGalleries on eBay?

Is this pretty much the story Heritage is sticking by?

For some reason Triple Crown incarnations are really facinating. Probably because of that try, try, try again, year after year, effort.

All Star Comics #43 CGC 8.0

All Star Comics #43 CGC 8.5

All Star Comics #43 CGC 9.2

LewisWayne Gallery

So, since Heritage says no employees ever bid on these auctions for resale, what exactly happens in a situation like this? Someone buys the book through Heritage as an 8.0 and thinks it looks like an 8.5 so they send it to CGC. They get the grade they want and they decide to resell it through Heritage to someone else who buys it thinking the new 8.5 looks like a 9.2. So then this second person cracks the case again and decides to send it to CGC and this time it comes back a 9.2. After it comes back from CGC as a 9.2 this person too decides to sell the book through Heritage. Then a third person buys the 9.2 through Heritage and shortly after that decides to sell the book directly to Halperin at significantly less than what he paid. Then, rather than auctioning off the book using his own multi-million dollar consignment service Halperin decides he'll have better luck consigning the book to LewisWayneGalleries on eBay?

893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

Funny scenario. sign-funnypost.gif

Even comic book writers might have a hard time stretching fantasyland that much. 27_laughing.gif

I have a question, does the book look like it has been "enhanced" such that it reached its full potential or is this just CGC changing the grade on the book when they see it again?

I can only guess: Both.

The 8.0 to 8.5 doesn't show much difference, maybe a straight resub. The 8.5 to 9.2 appears reconditioned, maybe a dry clean and press.

allstarClean.jpg

This next case study spotlights a particular surface area condition commonly called "cover transparency". Characteristically apparent in older books with light colored surface areas, it is best defined as being able to see the printing on the inside of the comic from the outside cover surface.

I have documented numerous examples of original books displaying cover transparency, only to have the condition removed from the subsequent version as a result of some apparent treatment technique. More often than not, the transparent feature is replaced with solid, vibrant color and the book's aged personality gives way to a manufactured newsstand appearance. I could be wrong, but to me, this is an clear indication that work has been performed.

BLACKHAWK #11

Sparsely described in its 2002 auction debut, this Very Fine copy of Blackhawk #11 realized a price 30% less than its pre-auction estimate.

Thirteen months later, the same book reappeared at auction in Near Mint condition following a clean and press makeover. With a description denoting the highest certified grade to date, the manipulated version surpassed its original purchase price by 300%.

The 9.4 version (0064423007) is not searchable in the CGC certification database. It has been zeroed out. The book has been resubmitted and carries a third serial number.

Two copies of Blackhawk #11 are ranked at the 9.4 position on the CGC census. They are the Mile High and Big Apple pedigree copies. One lone copy sits atop the census; that particular book is in Near Mint+ (9.6) condition. 

Certification/Resale Provenance:

Blackhawk #11 Performance

Resource Links:

Blackhawk #11 (8.0)

Blackhawk #11 (9.4)

Blackhawk #11 (8.0)

Blackhawk #11 (9.4)

Blackhawk #11 (8.0) & (9.4) Corner Comparison

In this case it looks as if a brighter scan might be the culprit - washing out the whites - the transparancy (aggravated by microchamber paper I gather) is still quite visible in the red squares. You can see the difference in brightness levels by comparing the blues in the CGC labels.

As to the grade differentials, that's quite a jump - are we sure it is the same book?

In this case it looks as if a brighter scan might be the culprit - washing out the whites - the transparancy (aggravated by microchamber paper I gather) is still quite visible in the red squares. You can see the difference in brightness levels by comparing the blues in the CGC labels.

As to the grade differentials, that's quite a jump - are we sure it is the same book?

Definitely the same. Just to many identical "finger prints"

Bingo. thumbsup2.gif Here's the 8.0 incarnation with the brightness/contrast cranked a bit. Makes the whites appear solid, but doesn't solidify the reds.

transparency.jpg

My question is what made the 8.0 version a VF in the first place? confused.gif Maybe someone can look at the huge scan and point something out. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hellova jump in grade. yeahok.gif

What gets me is the "back end" of The Game. If I understand it, someone consigns to an auction house to get the best selling price, pays the house a fee. But the auction house can scoop up books on the cheap, no "premium" like other competing bidders, plus they deduct the consignment fee. Then they go to work.

Like this book. I wonder how it would feel to sell your book for $339.25 minus fees, only to see it sell a year later for $1437.50. frown.gif

As much as the grade-flips are jawdropping, that "back end" ream job, the "take possession" stage of The Game, seems especially 893censored-thumb.gifed up.

My question is what made the 8.0 version a VF in the first place? Maybe someone can look at the huge scan and point something out.

Hellova jump in grade.

What gets me is the "back end" of The Game. If I understand it, someone consigns to an auction house to get the best selling price, pays the house a fee. But the auction house can scoop up books on the cheap, no "premium" like other competing bidders, plus they deduct the consignment fee. Then they go to work.

Like this book. I wonder how it would feel to sell your book for $339.25 minus fees, only to see it sell a year later for $1437.50.

As much as the grade-flips are jawdropping, that "back end" ream job, the "take possession" stage of The Game, seems especially ed up

Exactly!!!! Heritage takes up to 10% as a seller fee and a 19.5% buyer commission. They are taking close to 30% of the money when they sell a book for you. That is considerably higher than anybody else in the industry. And what exactly are they doing for this 30%? Personally, I would be furious if I was paying somebody 30% to help me sell a book, and they weren't even trying to get me the best price they could for it.

Halperin, the owner of Heritage, has been described more than once as somebody who is pretty much obsessed with getting higher and higher grades on his books. Matt Nelson is an employee of Heritage. (Which I believe is one of the reasons he moved to Dallas.) Matt arguably knows more about pressing comics than anyone else alive since he presses comics as part of his job. My understanding is that Matt looks at these books for Heritage prior to them going up for auction to determine which would be the best candidates for cleaning and/or pressing. And yet it seems that in the majoroity of cases, none of these upgrades are done until AFTER Heritage auctions off the books. Why exactly is that?

Its not like Heritage can say they don't believe in pressing. (At least not with a straight face they can't.) Especially with Matt on staff, they can't say they don't know which books would be the best candidates for cleaning/pressing because he'd know better than anybody. So as far as I can tell, this leaves two possibilities. Either they know which books are likely the best candidates to be upgraded but can't be bothered wasting their time to do so (which means they aren't trying their best to get their consignors the best possible price), or Heritage is in fact leaving the books in lower grades on purpose in order to buy them cheap then crack/clean/press/resub and sell them for much higher prices themselves. While the grade jumps themselves are very troubling, I don't really understand why some people seem willing to gloss over this particular aspect of the problem.

There is one correction that needs to be made to your post though Davenport. IF my understanding is correct (and it might not be), Halperin claims that while he and other employees do bid on Heritage auctions, they never bid on them for resale purposes. At least this is what I have been told. Maybe somebody with a better relationship with Halperin can ask him to clarify his position on this subject?

My understanding is that Halperin's response to this situation is that all of those books that sell through Heritage only to wind up in Halperin's possession a short time later (i.e. the Sensation 1 8.5 now 9.2 Crowley, the Marvel 1 CGC 8.5 Denver, the All Star mentioned above etc) are all just dozens of coincidences. (In most cases the books are bought through Heritage by dealers who will not be named, who shorty thereafter decide to privately sell the books to Halperin, usually at a substantial loss).

P.S. Mark, did Halperin ever actually tell you the name of the local dealer who supposedly bought the Sensation 1 CGC 8.5 from Heritage and then sold it back to Halperin as a CGC 9.2? I've made a number of inquiries since then and can't find a single dealer anywhere in Texas who will admit to owning that book at any time in the last 2 years.

There is one correction that needs to be made to your post though Davenport. IF my understanding is correct (and it might not be), Halperin claims that while he and other employees do bid on Heritage auctions, they never bid on them for resale purposes. At least this is what I have been told. Maybe somebody with a better relationship with Halperin can ask him to clarify his position on this subject?

My understanding is that Halperin's response to this situation is that all of those books that sell through Heritage only to wind up in Halperin's possession a short time later (i.e. the Sensation 1 8.5 now 9.2 Crowley, the Marvel 1 CGC 8.5 Denver, the All Star mentioned above etc) are all just dozens of coincidences. (In most cases the books are bought through Heritage by dealers who will not be named, who shorty thereafter decide to privately sell the books to Halperin, usually at a substantial loss).

Who knows. confused-smiley-013.gif But it's pretty obvious that some books show up over, and over, and over.

One can only imagine... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

do_overs.jpg