• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"CGC employees are not allowed to..."

804 posts in this topic

Buying CGC books for their own consumption is probably fine as well. And certainly buying raw books is perfectly acceptable.

This whole thread is speculative...but what the hell...

I don't know about the buying part...it would depend on who they were buying from? If it was a major submitter, who's to say they giving significant discounts to curry favor? I think the potential for conflict of interest is much greater on the buying vs. the selling end when talking raw or acquiring CGC slabs. If a CGC worker was selling slabbed books, that immediately makes it inappropriate...

Jim

I have to agree with you that this thread is speculative but, the boards does need a thread like this to keep things interesting. ;)

I suppose there are aspects of this thread that are speculative in the sense that we do not know what CGC's formal policies might be for every given situation, but the underlying topic is not speculative. Alan posted a recent thread that takes it beyond speculative.

It is a very interesting and important topic actually. Hopefully some formal clarification from CGC will be forthcoming.

They don't need to own one. However, they obviously enjoy them or they would not be doing what they are doing, but in order to make most people happy, they can't even own a comic book. I guess the answer is TPBs.

There's no problem with owning comics. Or even buying new off the rack. It's buying and selling back issues after becoming CGC employees that could be seen as a conflict of interest...

Jim

I spoke to Borock and some CGC guys about this at various cons and Forum Dinners... and they ARE ALLOWED TO BUY COMICS... ANY COMICS.

If true, they need to reevaluate this rule. An employee can benefit greatly from just buying and give submitters an avenue to influence...

Jim

I've said this before.....

Speculation arises within an information vacuum.

I'm sure CGC will let this thread go unanswered for a couple days and then post some ambiguous reply.

I'll just sit back and see what they'all have to say about it when they get around to it.

:whatev:

I spoke to Borock and some CGC guys about this at various cons and Forum Dinners... and they ARE ALLOWED TO BUY COMICS... ANY COMICS.

If true, they need to reevaluate this rule. An employee can benefit greatly from just buying and give submitters an avenue to influence...

Jim

I should have been more specific.. I believe they are allowed to buy RAW comics for their personal collections.

They are just not allowed to sell them as long as they work for CGC.

So it's pretty simple. They can buy what they want. They just have to wait until they leave CGC to sell them.

I've even sold them comics (from POV's collection.)

Borock said that they're still COMIC COLLECTORS/FANS.. and it wouldn't be fair to prohibit their reading/collecting while CGC employees.

Shin,

I'm going to assume that you mean sell 'commercially' (whatever the hell that might mean)? Because if it's an absolute...no selling...I suspect there's been a bit of breaking the rules going on.

Jim

I should have been more specific.. I believe they are allowed to buy RAW comics for their personal collections.

hm Then they could get them all graded as soon as they give their two weeks notice of resignation. (:

From the CGC website:

"CGC employees are not allowed to engage in the commercial buying or selling of comics. In this way, CGC can remain completely impartial, having no vested interest other than a commitment to serving clients through accurate and consistent grading."

Strikes me as a purely PR rule.

Let's see... We have grading company owners that deal comics. (partial owners, small investors, or something along those lines). And we have comic book Restoration service owners that deal worked-on wares. But it's a rule-worthy ethical concern if grading company employees, if the graders, don a seller's cap?

Yeah, okay, whatever. Might tickle the hobby's Ethics Richter Scale if some grader went rouge and sold books too. But just barely, with everything else that's in play.

Wow, would you be surprised to know that Heritage and CGC share some of the same ownership? I believe that is correct. Someone please correct that statement if it is wrong.

What does that have to do with CGC graders selling comics?

Wow, would you be surprised to know that Heritage and CGC share some of the same ownership? I believe that is correct. Someone please correct that statement if it is wrong.
Gees Jim! It's Sunday! Save some of the juicy stuff for tomorrow. :grin:

Jim

Doesn't matter...the conflict exists whether it's raw or slabbed...

Jim

Nothing but, We need to get this thread really going before One of the CGC employees steps in.

From the CGC website:

"CGC employees are not allowed to engage in the commercial buying or selling of comics. In this way, CGC can remain completely impartial, having no vested interest other than a commitment to serving clients through accurate and consistent grading."

Strikes me as a purely PR rule.

Let's see... We have grading company owners that deal comics. (partial owners, small investors, or something along those lines). And we have comic book Restoration service owners that deal worked-on wares. But it's a rule-worthy ethical concern if grading company employees, if the graders, don a seller's cap?

Yeah, okay, whatever. Might tickle the hobby's Ethics Richter Scale if some grader went rouge and sold books too. But just barely, with everything else that's in play.

I was responding more to the quote above yours Chris. I guess it is a little off topic, but I think the two do have some bearing with regards to one another.

Absolutely correct. I think Halperin has a 25% stake in CGC? (shrug)

Now, down in Texas, Heritage employees are not only allowed to buy and sell comics, but they can also bids on their own auctions. How above-board and transparent is that? meh

I was responding more to quote above yours Chris. I guess it is a little off topic, but I think the two do have some bearing with regards to one another.

My post was on-topic. If there was genuine concern over 'conflicts of interests' and ethical concerns wouldn't the rules be top-down? Instead of waiting until you got to the employee level to worry enough to write up a rule? (shrug)

I was responding more to quote above yours Chris. I guess it is a little off topic, but I think the two do have some bearing with regards to one another.

My post was on-topic. If there was genuine concern over 'conflicts of interests' and ethical concerns wouldn't the rules be top-down? Instead of waiting until you got to the employee level to worry enough to write up a rule? (shrug)

Genuine concern from the collector...or CGC?