• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arrival Dates

11 posts in this topic

Howdy all!

I'm new here, new to grading comics but have been reading and collecting them my entire life. I have recently started grading some of my books and ran into a question. Most of my books are Newsstand edition, with Small Arrival Dates in Pen/pencil/grease pencil on the cover.

I've done some searching and ran into conflicting information regarding whether this is considered a defect or not. Overstreet seen neutral on it. I've read some collector's actually like them and some stay away from them.

What is everyone's opinion on them and does anyone Know if CGC considers them a defect or not?

Thanks in Advance for any help

Smokes

To me it simply depends on the where on the cover the stamp is along with its size. I don't mind small stamps, particularly the machine dates if they are as unobtrusive as they can be. Gives me a connection to the book, proof that it was once on a rack for sale and someone pulled it off and bought it.

But I have to admit others -- and an obtrusive stamp -- do turn me off.

Thanks for all the input!

I sent an email to CGC and asked what their Postion was and this was their reply:

"Hello XXXXXX, An arrival date can potentially affect the grade of a comic book.

Some of the factors involved are size, placement, color and the grade of the rest of the book.

In most grades, an arrival date will have a very minimal affect on the grade, and the grade would remain the same in most cases.

A comic book could still potentially be a 9.6 even if it has an arrival date.

Hope this helps answer your question."

XXXX XXXXX

CGC Grader

Thanks for the Help

Smokes

I myself kind of like arrival dates, but I'm weird. Arrival dates in a way sort of add history to the book--you know exactly when it arrived at a store. I once saw a comic with an arrival date that was my birthday--now *that* would be a weird (and diffecult) thing to collect--all comics with an arrival date which is your birthday!

This is all assuming of course that the arrival date isn't too obtrusive. An arrival date done big and sloppy in the middle of Spider-man's eye wouldn't be too appealing.

Charlie

We're not neutral on arrival dates, it's one of many factors specifically noted in the Grading Guide. 10.0 Gem Mint cannot have any, but starting with 9.9 Mint we allow "small, inconspicuous" dates in they are in an "unobtrusive" location. At 9.0 we start to allow "several...stamped or inked...dates" and make no specific mention of location, so obviously it's looser there. By 8.0 it's an arrival date free for all! smile.gif Then in 4.0 Very Good we make a clear distinction that by then, arrival dates/stamps/etc. no longer have any effect on the grade.

So there's a quick rundown for ya!

Arnold

I like date stamps or even pencil or pen written date stamps written neatly. As long as it isn't on somebody's face or anything, I think it adds a little historical flavor to the book... but as somebody else said... there a whole lot of haters out there.

Acually I DO think the pay copy is ugly and I'm a little shocked it got a 9.0

To me, it's like having a comic that's also an historical document, perhaps the only of its kind. I'd dream of having that book, like I'll ever be that rich.

I think it's really an incredible find. Imagine a Captain America Comics #1 like that? Or *any* other key?

Charlie