• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

man did this guy get screwed....

74 posts in this topic

God I love Ebay! Whenever I'm feeling a little off, I can always count on some person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed on ebay to post something like this to cheer me up!!! :roflmao:

IMO a book like that with trimming only should be in a GLOD, not a PLOD. Trimming is not restoration - it's destruction. Giving a trimmed book a "restored grade" is doing a diservice to legitimate restorative techniques.

The guy did say it was trimmed to get a better appearance which equals restoration.

The guy did say it was trimmed to get a better appearance which equals restoration.

Which would devalue the book more? A book with a trim but "restored" or treating it as damage? Probably about the same I would think, no?

Which would devalue the book more? A book with a trim but "restored" or treating it as damage? Probably about the same I would think, no?

Probably about the same...I think all things being equal I would rather the GLOD, just because the defect is probably something you knew about to begin with where something like a trim job or press would be really tough to detect if you didn't know what to look for and you submitted the book. (And yes, I added the word P R E S S to this thread...so let the beatings commence!! lol )

I couldn't tell if the top got trimmed or not,and how is trimming a book restoration? (shrug)

Well, it's not restoration - it's destruction.

Let's say you have an otherwise nice Silver Age book (about a 9.2) but it has some overhang on the cover that got bent enough in it's life that it's cracked, breaks colour, and possibly has a chip out at the corner. That issue would NOT grade at 9.2. Now, take a razor blade (or whatever) and cut that out, making the top look nice and neat again. Now, the book looks like a GREAT 9.4 - but it's not. And anyone selling it that way without disclosure would be pummeled on this website mercilessly (see: Robojo33.)

Cutting a comic book, for any reason, is NOT looked upon highly by anyone but scammers trying to sell a book as better than it originally was.

I hope this helps your understanding a bit.

-slym