• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you estimate a books value when submitting for grading

estimating submission values  

183 members have voted

1. 1. estimating submission values

27 posts in this topic

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past but not sure how recently now that OSPG vs CLink/GPA results, etc. have continued to stretch apart.

Let's take a currently red hot book like Avengers #1 that you believe is FINE 6.0.

OSPG - 2008 ed = $960 (most likely over $1000 now but for our purposes, let's leave it at $960.)

GPA - 12 month av = $2100

CLink - May 08 = $3800

depending on which source you use to declare the books value, you'd be charged (with 10% partners discount) either $49 (std tier), $77 (express tier) or $108 (walk-thru).

So how does one properly estimate the value so as to include the correct amount of fee??

go cheapest until cgc calls and tells you otherwise.

Kinda thinking along that line, as well. I can remember years ago Scott calling me to inform me that My FF #11 was graded a 9.4 and was worth considerably more than the standard fee (max $1000), I'd included... :applause:

I Loved those calls.... :cloud9:

I doubt I'll ever have books to submit that will require a tier bump, but I'd always shoot low and have the finances on hand to pay for the higher grade if it happened.

Do CGC only charge the applicable fee if the grade is lower than you thought and you put too high a price on the forms?

I doubt I'll ever have books to submit that will require a tier bump, but I'd always shoot low and have the finances on hand to pay for the higher grade if it happened.

Do CGC only charge the applicable fee if the grade is lower than you thought and you put too high a price on the forms?

I think the answer to that question is NO, they only ask for more dough in certain circumstances.

For example, I had about a half dozen books come back with Purple labels over the years and never got any sort of refund recognizing that the books were only worth about 20% of what i'd estimated. (this includes a few walk-thrus at 2.5% of FMV).

I think the answer to that question is NO, they only ask for more dough in certain circumstances.

For example, I had about a half dozen books come back with Purple labels over the years and never got any sort of refund recognizing that the books were only worth about 20% of what i'd estimated. (this includes a few walk-thrus at 2.5% of FMV).

That was something I never knew, thanks for clearing that up for me. (thumbs u

Now I would definitely shoot low.

Isn't this also for insurance purposes? As in, if the books get damaged, you can't really ask for more than what you put down as its value...

Neil, I just presumed that if you overgraded a book enough to warrant a tier bump that turned out not to be the case then CGC would do the right thing and grade at the approriate tier.

I mean they're good enough at bumping the tier if the book warrants it, and charging you for extra shipping on dofferent tiers even if you asked for combined. I just thought a company who can charge you extra money without your say so would have the scruples to save you money you didn't have to spend in the first place.

Kinda thinking along that line, as well. I can remember years ago Scott calling me to inform me that My FF #11 was graded a 9.4 and was worth considerably more than the standard fee (max $1000), I'd included... :applause:

I don't quite understand that.

If the fee is based on their insurance cost (supposedly), aren't they still paying insurance on the price you said the book is worth? Why would the cost go up? After they had finished grading did they realize they had spent 3x as long grading it as they would have spent on a 9.2 copy?

Well I voted low because I would assume that you are determining FMV based on "raw" book which is significantly lower than GPA or CLink which are or I assume are slabbed copies. I thought that the idea of FMV was more for insurance purposes and to give one a general idea of wht tier the book would be graded under. Until the book is slabbed it can not be considered to have a slabbed market value nor should CGC base their final pricing a future graded value. CGC may not consider it fair but FMV is set before a book is graded and I think it is unethical of the submitter to base their FMV on future value and unethical of CGC to base pricing on a finished product.

Of course I am sure CGC get loads of poorly estimated FMV (or downright criminal under estimated FMV because people can be cheap b@st@rds) in which case it is fine for them to adjust pricing as long as it is based on estimated raw grade not post grading.

Hmm. dunno if that makes any sense or not.

Well I voted low because I would assume that you are determining FMV based on "raw" book which is significantly lower than GPA or CLink which are or I assume are slabbed copies. I thought that the idea of FMV was more for insurance purposes and to give one a general idea of wht tier the book would be graded under. Until the book is slabbed it can not be considered to have a slabbed market value nor should CGC base their final pricing a future graded value. CGC may not consider it fair but FMV is set before a book is graded and I think it is unethical of the submitter to base their FMV on future value and unethical of CGC to base pricing on a finished product.

Of course I am sure CGC get loads of poorly estimated FMV (or downright criminal under estimated FMV because people can be cheap b@st@rds) in which case it is fine for them to adjust pricing as long as it is based on estimated raw grade not post grading.

Hmm. dunno if that makes any sense or not.

Nope, makes perfect sense. Especially since it is a collectors market and future value is never set in stone... value could drop tomorrow.

I usually use the price I paid if I purchased within the last year... otherwise I use an auction result from a similarly graded raw book. Or, if this fails, make it up to squeeze it into value tier :P

Isn't this also for insurance purposes? As in, if the books get damaged, you can't really ask for more than what you put down as its value...

Therein lies the rub. It's a Catch-22 that to save money by claiming a lower tier value, you must also risk losing out in the event the books get lost or damaged in transit. I usually play it close to the vest and hope that the grade justifies paying more, but it really depends on the particular book.

I know lots of people try to "sneak" books through and hope for "the call" - but one lost/damaged submission could set them back a whole bunch of cash. doh!

Therein lies the rub. It's a Catch-22 that to save money by claiming a lower tier value, you must also risk losing out in the event the books get lost or damaged in transit.

Wouldn't that be nagated if CGC bumped a tier prior to grading? Surely they would have revalued the book due to the tier bump and would have adjusted insurance otherwise?

I know it wouldn't matter for books that valued higher but stayed in the same tier.