• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will become of your collection?

81 posts in this topic

Screw my comics!

I'm more worried about what happens to me after I die...

Exactly! You're worm food buddy, so why do you care?

Got a ton of $$$ tied up in the books, and your family may be hard up for cash?

That's a simplistic way of looking at it. If you're the sole bread winner, and your death was sudden, it may throw the family through a loop, even if you were financially sound. If you had a collection in the mid-to high 5 figures or more, wouldn't you want that money to go to your family, regardless of whether or not they're strapped for cash or not? You have a kid, don't you? Wouldn't you want to give them as much as possible, regardless of what they already have?

And what if you purchased your collection years ago, raw, on the cheap, and it's now worth substantially more than you paid? Do you call that "selfishly sinking tons of cash in funnybooks"? And why should your family be deprived of the benefits of your collection? Because your dead and you don't care?

I will use all my Spideys to build a bed and make love to Kirsten Dunst...

I will use all my Hulks to build a bed and make love to Jennifer Connelly...

I will use all my Daredevils to build a bed and make love to Jennifer Garner...

I will use all my X-Men to build a bed and have a threesome with Famke Janssen and Halle Berry....

I will torch everything else.

Like Chef said, you gotta 'make sweet love by the fire.'

Then, I will die a happy man. insane.gif

You'd probably have a better chance in hell of burning your Atari Forces and smokin the sausage to all your Vampirellas. insane.gif

BTW, telling your wife about the value of your collection is not always a good thing!

This is a very good point too, and I was waiting for someone to bring it up. I'm 25 years old, and not yet married, so it is a serious concern of mine. The girls I date have gotten little to no information about my comics, and especially not their values. And it's not just in the case of divorce, but if the woman dosen't understand the hobby, all she's going to hear is the $$$ aspect of it, and she's going to start thinking about all the little perks she could have with the cash that's sitting in my collection. Perhaps the smartest move is to draw up the necessary info in a will?

It's all about the pre-nuptial agreement. I couldn't stress it much more.

Brian

I agree, but it isn't that easy. There are not a lot of women who would go for that, as it is basically saying that you think the Marriage MIGHT fail. And while this is perfectly logical, women are not known to choose logic over emotion.(This is not sexist, it is simple fact.)

Then realistically perhaps they're marrying you for the wrong reasons? If they're that concerned about what happens to what is essentially, your money, then I'm not sure they're there for the right reasons.

In the end, if you can't work out a pre-nuptial and the marriage fails (the statistic is what, 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce?), prepare to lose half your [!@#%^&^]!

Brian

Then realistically perhaps they're marrying you for the wrong reasons? If they're that concerned about what happens to what is essentially, your money, then I'm not sure they're there for the right reasons.

In the end, if you can't work out a pre-nuptial and the marriage fails (the statistic is what, 50 percent of all marriages end in divorce?), prepare to lose half your [!@#%^&^]!

Brian

Again, it isn't that simple. They may not care about your collection in the beginning, while you're in the "honeymoon stage". I think many marriages start for the right reasons, but degrade over time. She may not care about your money, or your collection in the beginning, but once the novelty of marriage wears off(could take years), she might start to change. If your fiancee is fine with a prenup, then you're a lucky man. But as you mentioned, she also comes from a family with money. The average woman, coming from a middle class family, will not look at it the same way.

And like I said, the marriage may start off for the right reasons, but that may not last. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I can't agree with you there. From what I've read/heard pre-nuptials have become very common place. It's not so much betting on that the marriage will fail. It's more like getting life insurance. You're hoping it doesn't happen but there's a chance it could.

Brian

I can't agree with you there. From what I've read/heard pre-nuptials have become very common place. It's not so much betting on that the marriage will fail. It's more like getting life insurance. You're hoping it doesn't happen but there's a chance it could.

Brian

Well said!

Timely

Back on track:

Although I don't have everything documented from a process standpoint, my wife and son have enjoyed the hobby with me. My son knows about Overstreet, my ComicBase database, and how to spot scams on eBay (that's family entertainment alone).

So I think I'm there about 50%, but I need to get this documented. Thanks for reminding me of another thing I have to do this year!

my collection will be split between my two sons.....one will get the spidey's and Hulks and the other gets my DC's.

Wow, why do you hate son #2 so much?? shocked.gif

Son #2 is the one getting the spidey's. 27_laughing.gif

It's not so much betting on that the marriage will fail. It's more like getting life insurance. You're hoping it doesn't happen but there's a chance it could.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you on the merits of a prenup. But I've had this prenup discussion with many women, and it just dosen't seem to fly with them. I meet a lot of different women through my business, and I bring this up in conversation as a hypothetical question because it has been on my mind after hearing a few divorce horror stories. The only women who said they'd agree to a prenup tend to be the ones who are a little older, and who have built their own careers and financial stability. But for the average 20-something who is waiting for prince charming so that they can have a storybook wedding and a perfect life, a prenup dosen't really fit into that vision. In this day and age, I'm sure it is a lot more common, but it still isn't the norm. And if you have a girl who is religious or from an old-fashioned backround , it would be totally out of the question since the Church dosen't believe in divorce. Try telling an Italian/eastern european girl's family that you want a prenup, and watch the sparks fly. My ex was Macedonian, and neither her or her family believed in prenups.

Brian

Well said!

Timely

Then please tell me where you are finding all these women who are totally accepting of the idea. I sure as hell can't find them. confused-smiley-013.gif

And what if you purchased your collection years ago, raw, on the cheap, and it's now worth substantially more than you paid? Do you call that "selfishly sinking tons of cash in funnybooks"?

That's a good point, and I was really thinking about those that have sunks substantial sums into books, and then would suddenly have a loss of faith upon their death.

Basically, why not have the change of heart today?

You'll find it's a completely different game when you're not just talking about it in theory. I believe there was a survey someplace that discusses this phenomenon. I'll post a link for you if I can find it. We learned all about this back in the day in either Sociology or Psychology (guess I didn't pay THAT much attention tongue.gif)

Brian

Then please tell me where you are finding all these women who are totally accepting of the idea. I sure as hell can't find them. confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't worry about it, as most prenups are tossed out of court these days, as times change and judges shift "the equity rules". It's pretty easy to get one wiped out, and there was a segment on them on The Docket on CBC that was pretty eye-opening.

It begged the question: Would any prenup be legal in a court of law?

Does the survey cover age, whether they've been divorced before or not, nationality, religious affiliation, and income level? Because these are all very important factors to consider.

Brian

Well said!

Timely

Try AOL members! I did! 27_laughing.gif

Timely