• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't get some dealers....

358 posts in this topic

He should've settled with $130.00.

That's what I thought, as for what it sold that is a Wholesale rate.

Shame, as it was my 1st childhood comic next to Kamandi 1 which is why it was a book I wanted.

There will be others. Oh well!

;) TRUST me Bosco, I've been in this hobby sinse 95 And I can assure there WILL indeed be others! (thumbs u (How do you think I got that sweet CGC 9.8 JUDGE DREDD#1? ;) timing is everything)
Like I always say,luck and timing is more important than personal effort (thumbs u

Each owner or clerk, has his or her reasons and they don't always fall into "this" or "that" reason.

Sometimes as guy just needs money today. Sometimes he doesn't.

Some books guys don't have a clue how much they have into it. Other books they have for years and remember clearly that they paid $42.00 for (and shouldn't have) and want their 42 plus back. Come hell or high water, they ain't gettin taken by that jerk that sold it to him.

I have some friends that routinely start up corner mom and pop stores (usually with gas pumps also), and once they get them going, sell out to someone who wants an established business. When they do these things, my friends charge the new owners for the merchandise that is already in the store, on the shelfs. Full price of what they paid for them. I assume that a comic book store would do the same, or not exagerate.

Someone else already mentioned that it is a good idea to have some eye candy books around in your store, to show that you just ain't a thrift shop or second hand shop. Make your store look upscale with some high priced books displayed.

Additionally, I know a store owner that was broken into and most or all of his "eye canfy" books were stolen. Yes he had an alarm system but it didn't seem to help that time.

I assume that he got paid through insurance, but I do not know that for a fact. I don't know how in the heck that would work with an insurance company unless you kept meticulous records and receipts.

Like I said. Lots of reasons for what people do. They can't be pigeon holed into this reason or that reason. Maybe "your dealer" remembers he overpayed or guessed wrongly on a book and it is in his mind that he wants to "win", and get his money back.

Well the book is a Showcase 22 listed as a 3.5 for 750$ (!!!!) last GPA was 600$ last month, this one is raw and has been sitting on the site since May 2007. My offer was 550$. Of course it's a lowball considering the asking price, but that price makes no sense, to me anyways...

And overgrading & resto is always a concern to me when buying raw online, even if there is a return policy, it's still a major hassle.

Well the book is a Showcase 22 listed as a 3.5 for 750$ (!!!!) last GPA was 600$ last month, this one is raw and has been sitting on the site since May 2007. My offer was 550$. Of course it's a lowball considering the asking price, but that price makes no sense, to me anyways...

And overgrading & resto is always a concern to me when buying raw online, even if there is a return policy, it's still a major hassle.

It is good to get the full story, finally.

Your offer was fair.

It is good to get the full story, finally.

Your offer was fair.

His offer was a low ball. According to GPA, only one copy per year since 2005 has sold in a 3.5 and the price has increased with each sale. Plus, they just cast the Green Lantern movie, hello.

and to be clear- I don't mind the OP lowballing. Nothing wrong with that. Or the dealer passing.

But starting a thread about the dealer is a bit much.

Again it wasn't the fact that he passed or that I lowballed, it was the fact that he doesn't even want to work with me to make a sale.

Doc, if you give a seller your final buy price after 1 pass, good for you, I prefer the give and take approach. Plus, IT'S NOT SLABBED, HELLO.

and to be clear- I don't mind the OP lowballing. Nothing wrong with that. Or the dealer passing.

Sorry, next time I'll start a pressing thread, sheesh

$50 under GPA for a raw book? I wouldn't consider that a lowball offer. Certainly not so low that the guy couldn't counter.

Well, I don't have any desire to quibble over what constitutes a lowball offer, Dave.

But I think the presentation of the dealer in this thread is bad form.

I've had this happen to me countless times in my life. And I didn't rip the guy/s for not dealing. I just took my marbles and went home.

Sorry, next time I'll start a pressing thread, sheesh

Hey, you start a thread looking for discussion, you get discussion.

And you can't control the type of discussion you're likely to get.

My intention was not to denigrate anyone, and I haven't, it's to understand why I'm getting a cold shoulder for being a motivated buyer. I have money, i want to spend it, let's make a deal! But I guess comics work differently than any other selling forum...

I've said my piece. Carry on. (thumbs u

edited to add- you did denegrate him, (calling him greedy and making fun of him with your "use comics instead of cash" line, all in your first three posts, but honestly, I'm done. I've said what I came to say. Again, carry on.

My intention was not to denigrate anyone, and I haven't, it's to understand why I'm getting a cold shoulder for being a motivated buyer. I have money, i want to spend it, let's make a deal! But I guess comics work differently than any other selling forum...

maybe the seller doesn't like Quebecers? no deal for you! lol

get over it and find another copy, or perhaps threaten to leave comic collecting lol

I mean, really, after 2 years don't you realize something might be wrong? And why have such an unwavering attitude? Anyway, I guess I'll keep looking

I sympathize with you to some degree, but the timing of your offer is a little off. The bottom line is that some sellers will negotiate while others won't. In this case, selling a Showcase 22 in any grade for a discount seems unlikely from any major dealer who has caught onto the wave. I've sold two copies now, one to a friend here on the boards and another at SIGNIFICANT premium to what it was selling for a year ago. They also fly. I had no intention of selling either, but the prices I received from my friend was very fair and a tad aggressive and I priced the other not to sell. It still sold.

The Metropolis way on many books is to be unwavering and not be willing to negotiate the price. That being said, this example is one involving one of the hotter books on the back issue market. If I see a Showcase 22, and I am on the lookout for them, if I see one from a smaller dealer I buy it, no negotiation... I ask can you do anything, if he says no, I buy it anyway. That's how hot the book is to me right now.