• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Info about San Francisco

49 posts in this topic

Lots of good suggestions here, but let me just add Golden Gate Park is always worth walking through, and it now includes the de young Museum and the brand spanking new California Academy of Sciences. (thumbs u

the Mrs. and I are planning a SF Napa Valley trip in Sept.

It's ironic because I was just about to start this thread.

I have been to SF before and seen many of the sites.

I haven't seen Muir yet, but I might have to put that on the radar...

(thumbs u

I loved Scomas (it's hard to believe I remember the name of this place since it has

been about 10 years since my last visit). Their seafood pasta was to die for.

My wife and I are also going to San Fran Sept 7 for a week. I remember Scomas from my last visit in the 70s lol . Thanks to the OP for this thread. Lots of great ideas and restaurants to visit. Best comic store? Where is the Comic Art Museum and is it worth a visit?

My wife and I are also going to San Fran Sept 7 for a week. I remember Scomas from my last visit in the 70s lol . Thanks to the OP for this thread. Lots of great ideas and restaurants to visit. Best comic store? Where is the Comic Art Museum and is it worth a visit?

i think they meant the cartoon art museum. hm

i think they meant the cartoon art museum. hm

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for the link. Looks like it might be worth a visit.

Best comic store?

This one is kinda tough. While San Francisco is blessed with many comic book stores, they pretty much all focus on new books and tpbs. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you are more into old books, you are not going to have much luck.

amazing adventures

They are the only shop in the city that I know of that has a decent selection of back issues. Their pricing is a bit dodgy. Some books they have fair prices on, some they don't. They are not the friendliest shop either. Do have a decent selection of golden and silver and bronze though.

Outside of the city, Comic Collector Shop in Mountainview, Lee's Comics in Mountainview, and, of course, A-1 Comics in Sacramento are all pretty good. Comic Relief in Berkeley is a really beautiful shop, but again, the emphasis is on tpbs and current books. I dunno, does fellow boardie houseofcomics.com have a storefront?

Houseofcomics doesn't have a storefront per se but he's available for appointments at his warehouse in Berkeley.

They just had a Rock-n-Comics show this past Sunday (with guests Ray Storch and Steve Wyatt).

Houseofcomics doesn't have a storefront per se but he's available for appointments at his warehouse in Berkeley.

They just had a Rock-n-Comics show this past Sunday (with guests Ray Storch and Steve Wyatt).

I've dealt with Marc a couple times and I believe I have a PM from him inviting me to visit if I'm ever in SF. He seems like a class act.

Best comic store?

This one is kinda tough. While San Francisco is blessed with many comic book stores, they pretty much all focus on new books and tpbs. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you are more into old books, you are not going to have much luck.

amazing adventures

They are the only shop in the city that I know of that has a decent selection of back issues. Their pricing is a bit dodgy. Some books they have fair prices on, some they don't. They are not the friendliest shop either. Do have a decent selection of golden and silver and bronze though.

Outside of the city, Comic Collector Shop in Mountainview, Lee's Comics in Mountainview, and, of course, A-1 Comics in Sacramento are all pretty good. Comic Relief in Berkeley is a really beautiful shop, but again, the emphasis is on tpbs and current books. I dunno, does fellow boardie houseofcomics.com have a storefront?

Thanks for the info. I'm a back issue guy so Amazing-Adventures might be worth a visit although I prefer to hit up friendly stores as I can buy anywhere and I'm looking for an experience rather than just a book.

San Francisco. I've been there a few times since 1980 and offer the following:

Pier 39 is a tourist trap, but fun. Costs nothing to look, check the harbour seals out and just hang out. Alcatraz visible (bar fog) and it is an interesting excursion to have a look around the old prison. Last time it was a case of book a few days in advance in order to get aboard, but it may be easier now.

Do not eat at Fisherman's Wharf. Over rated and over priced. Plenty of GREAT restaurants in SF - "The Slanted Door" comes highly recommended.

Try to go to the Musee Mechanique for a look and play with "old time" arcade machines.

If you head south on the 1 it would be a real shame if you didn't get far enough to take in a tour of Hearst Castle . Truly amazing place. If you cannot get that far, maybe a look at one of the most picturesque golf courses, Pebble Beach. It is a public course, but very expensive, booking essential etc. if you want to play. Might also want to make sure there isn't a tournament on during your visit.

Cocktails on top of the Fairmont is terrific. beautiful views of the city and they have "Towering Inferno" type external elevators for that added terror.

The only negative for me was the homeless population. They are some of the most aggressive bums and beggars on the planet, so be careful.

After spending a few years living in the peninsula, we found we rarely ventured into "The City" as locals like to call it.

lol i rarely leave the city to venture out into the burbs. lol

per my original statement...since when did small coastal towns and national parks become the burbs? (shrug)

The only negative for me was the homeless population. They are some of the most aggressive bums and beggars on the planet, so be careful.

welcome to the city. :whistle:

been to New York, Chicago, Denver, etc. SF takes the homeless cake by a mile. Less time should be spent on being "green" and more time should be spent helping the homeless. Wacky priorities that "city" has.

If you're in SF and you don't take the time to go see Muir Woods, you're missing out. One of the most breathtaking sites you'll ever see.

I just got back from an SF vacation. Totally agree with the above. Also we got a muni pass which gave unlimited transportation options, look into that, we got a 7 day but there is also a 3 day pass.

We rented someones apartment in nob hill area so I don't have advice on a hotel.

We also did a wine tasting tour which was nice. The Alcatraz tour was just so-so. We basically walked around a ton and did rent bikes for one day which was great, rode over golden gate bridge, then down to the park and through there and back up the highway which was beautiful.

We then rented a car and spent 3 days in Yosemite, truly an incredible place.

After spending a few years living in the peninsula, we found we rarely ventured into "The City" as locals like to call it.

lol i rarely leave the city to venture out into the burbs. lol

per my original statement...since when did small coastal towns and national parks become the burbs? (shrug)

dude, did you lose your sense of humor along the way, or are you just like that always? (shrug)

If you don't need spend tons of money on dinners but still want a cool experience, try Blue Plate on Mission Street, and ask for a table in the garden. It can be really romantic. Don't pass on dessert, they are all excellent.

I too think that if you are in town for two days, you should probably stick around town. Monterey is beautiful but you have to dedicate a bunch of drive time so I would nix that myself.

If you are the walking type then most of the things people come to SF to see are easily reached. Chinatown through North Beach to the Wharf can pretty much encompass most of what tourists come to SF for.

As for nightlife, I am recommending the musical Wicked which is in town. I hate musicals and this is better than 96 % of the movies I've seen in the last 4 years.

There is so much to see and do in SF and environs, you could spend weeks and see something new every day. My favs: the Presidio, which is right under the Golden Gate on the SF side, and of course, walk across the GG. It's an experience you will never forget. Then, cruise on over and tour the Ghirardelli factory.

I could do a hundred posts with a hundred more things to do.

There is so much to see and do in SF and environs, you could spend weeks and see something new every day. My favs: the Presidio, which is right under the Golden Gate on the SF side, and of course, walk across the GG. It's an experience you will never forget. Then, cruise on over and tour the Ghirardelli factory.

I could do a hundred posts with a hundred more things to do.

Don't stop now.

I live in Sacramento, CA, about 1.5 hour drive and I go to S.F. all the time. S.F. is expensive. You could stay 15 min away from the city in a small town called Tiburon. Then drive to the city each day. Look at The Lodge at Tiburon.

I am a 4th generation Bay Area native, so I admit I'm biased. San Francisco is the greatest city on earth.

I had the good fortune to work in the City for much of 2005, and driving in from the south, on the 101, at 5 in the AM is one of the most breathtaking experiences of my life. I enjoyed it every single day.