• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

one thing we have to remember is that everyone grades books differently... the stain on harley's 5.0 would only get a 4.0 from cgc... that is not to say that some folks won't and don't think it is a 5.0...it certainly looked better than the technical grade, but I am pretty good at nailing how cgc will grade books (comes from submitting litterally thousands of books over the years), and in my opinion, it would only get a 4.0 if cgc'd... again, that is just another opinion to the grade...

I personally graded it lower, but that is me

Yes, the stain on Harley's top book brought it to a 4.0 -- and no better. I would have bought it with no negotiation if I thought it was a 5.0

Don't you know that every major dealer's inventories in the country have been scoured for 22s...

Yee, Fischler, etc, just to name a few.

Was at Metropolis a few days ago. Saw at least 7 or 8 Showcase #22s. Not sure if they are on their site.

No surprise since they did an email blast to customers trying to buy up 22s. Sure they will be setting up at whatever show and in auctions with a zillion 22s, as they often do with the hot key of the moment...

Don't you know that every major dealer's inventories in the country have been scoured for 22s...

Was at Metropolis a few days ago. Saw at least 7 or 8 Showcase #22s. Not sure if they are on their site.

No surprise since they did an email blast to customers trying to buy up 22s. Sure they will be setting up at whatever show and in auctions with a zillion 22s, as they often do with the hot key of the moment...

Ah...the free market.

Even if they don't turn a profit on it by snatching it up at premium prices, it's a good loss leader to attract eyes to their auctions. Good marketing tactic, etc, I suppose.

Careful buying raw 22s. They are notoriously CT'd along the green area of the spine (green CT seems to be the hardest to detect).

Coincidentally, I bought a 22 from Fischler about 10-12 years ago. Beautiful WHITE cover to cover. Snow white pages. Had a book length vertical crease along spine, light CT, and a blotted area on the BC to cover some red markings. VG at best but still extraordinary paper. I sold it years ago.

Years ago, I saw a killer Showcase #22 with double cover. I wonder where that book is now?

Think about it. If the inside cover was preserved well enough (and many of them are), that could be the best known copy...just a thought.

What condition were they in? I know they had 6 - 8 copies at SDCC but the best was a GD/VG.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I just checked Metro's site and they have a CGC 8.0 with OW pages listed. Of course it is listed as "Not Yet Processed".

Wonder how much they'll be asking for it. Something just South of the moon is my guess.

one thing we have to remember is that everyone grades books differently... the stain on harley's 5.0 would only get a 4.0 from cgc... that is not to say that some folks won't and don't think it is a 5.0...it certainly looked better than the technical grade, but I am pretty good at nailing how cgc will grade books (comes from submitting litterally thousands of books over the years), and in my opinion, it would only get a 4.0 if cgc'd... again, that is just another opinion to the grade...

Metropolis had a Showcase 22 CGC 8.0 a few days ago and it sold already. It was a private sale, and no price was disclose. Rick, was that the copy you offer $12500 from a private collector. If it was, this copy probably sold for over $15000+???20000 :foryou: +???

I posted this a month ago when I found it on Metropolis for $170. I guess rusty staples might go for more on Ebay? (shrug)

Hmm..looks like this pic was taken just as the book was being projected into the Phantom Zone.

Metropolis had a Showcase 22 CGC 8.0 a few days ago and it sold already. It was a private sale, and no price was disclose. Rick, was that the copy you offer $12500 from a private collector. If it was, this copy probably sold for over $15000+???20000 :foryou: +???

yes, he is a collector, but anything is possible (shrug)

What nincompoop would pay > $10k for a funny book?

What nincompoop would pay > $10k for a funny book?

I find myself asking that question all the time.

I used to say that about books over $50.... :tonofbricks:

I ask myself that on books > $100,000 :baiting:

Show off. ;)(worship)

Books above five figures are out of most collector's range. With prices of quality vintage comics climbing steady off the past years, five figure prices will be in the past. I predict if a Showcase #22 CGC 9.2 ever surface, it will be in the 100000 the club.