• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Thanks for condensing my thoughts into 4 simple sentences.

My basic question should really be this:

Do you (that's a collective you) think that SC 22 is a top - 5 SA book? If you do, this is just an overdue price correction. If you don't, this is a bubble waiting to pop.

For me, I'm on the fence, I think my top 3 would be:

AF 15

FF 1

Hulk 1 (you want to talk about another book where 8.0 and above just doesn't exist)

And then beyond that it's a tough call for the rest of the top 5. I keep hearing that SC 22 is firmly establishing itself as the #2 SA DC, and I certainly agree with that, it's just I'm not sure that SC 4 belongs in the top 5 either.

If you are doing a top 5 for SA books based on character popularity now, I would put it as:

AF 15

FF 1

TOS 39

X-Men 1

SC 22

Hulk #1 is tough as nails in HG, but the character is not that hot of a property right now. Historically, SC #4 is more important that SC #22, but the Flash has been a stagnant character for a long time. I know way more GL collectors that Flash collectors, especially amongst former Marvel zombie/fanboys like myself.

I would not be surprised if SC #22 surpasses SC #4 value wise eventually either if the GL movie is a hit like some are predicting, just like AF #15 has jumped past FF #1. SC #4 will always be an important book, but in the end it is the strength of the characters that will drive values and I see more potential for the GL franchise than for Flash.

But is that eventual passing (which I too could see) then based on the strength of SC 22 or the continued weakening of SC 4?

Both, but more due to the increasing popularity of Green Lantern, especially amogst Marvel collectors that branch out into DC.

Edited by kimik

Well, I don't think I'm fooling myself. I think it's just a tremendous stretch to say that what previously was never a top-20 silver age book is going to, almost overnight, vault itself into the top 10 without a slow down or correction.

Hal Jordan's been remarkably popular for a very long time, the Green Lantern modern has been one of the 3 or 4 best ongoings for the better part of 3 years now, and SC 22 has always been impossible to find in great shape. So where's the juice coming from? The movie itself? That scares me.

The "love of the character" growth has been hanging out there way too long for me to assume that's it. The realization that silver age DCs are nearly impossible to find above Fine is nothing new. Growth just for the sake of growth terrifies me, at some point, the helium comes out of the balloon.

Put it this way, I speculated in a few books about a year and a half ago, SC 22 was among them. At the end of the spring, with the movie hype building I tried selling a few copies for what I felt were fair prices and they sat and sat and sat. Now all of a sudden any copy that has both staples attached and no major tears to the cover is going to go for $1K easily? That's almost impossible to comprehend growth when there's really no good reason for it. I guess I'm looking for that "missing piece" because I just can't find it. Hal being popular is nothing new, this book being hard to find is nothing new, DC in general being tough in HG is nothing new, the movie's been out of the bag for at least a year.

FYI, I just looked up the Top 20 Silver Age Books in the current Overstreet and Showcase 22 is listed at #16.

In the 2008 Overstreet it is at #15 .

In the 2007 Overstreet it is at #15.

Apparently, SC22 has been a top 20 silver age book.

Well, I don't think I'm fooling myself. I think it's just a tremendous stretch to say that what previously was never a top-20 silver age book is going to, almost overnight, vault itself into the top 10 without a slow down or correction.

Hal Jordan's been remarkably popular for a very long time, the Green Lantern modern has been one of the 3 or 4 best ongoings for the better part of 3 years now, and SC 22 has always been impossible to find in great shape. So where's the juice coming from? The movie itself? That scares me.

The "love of the character" growth has been hanging out there way too long for me to assume that's it. The realization that silver age DCs are nearly impossible to find above Fine is nothing new. Growth just for the sake of growth terrifies me, at some point, the helium comes out of the balloon.

Put it this way, I speculated in a few books about a year and a half ago, SC 22 was among them. At the end of the spring, with the movie hype building I tried selling a few copies for what I felt were fair prices and they sat and sat and sat. Now all of a sudden any copy that has both staples attached and no major tears to the cover is going to go for $1K easily? That's almost impossible to comprehend growth when there's really no good reason for it. I guess I'm looking for that "missing piece" because I just can't find it. Hal being popular is nothing new, this book being hard to find is nothing new, DC in general being tough in HG is nothing new, the movie's been out of the bag for at least a year.

If you have more than one copy and if you feel the price is high already...then sell one copy and hold onto the other one. Nothing wrong for taking profits...which some of the boardies have done already. ;)

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I think what a lot of people are missing here is how good the Geoff Johns run is, it`s similar to that Byrne X-men run of the bronze age.It is must read modern material. What you got in Johns is as close to a Alan Moore comics will get for awhile.Johns,along with the upcoming movie hype has made SA Green Lantern relevent again.

Edited by MR.COMICBOOK

I think what a lot of people are missing here is how good the Geoff Johns run is, it`s similar to that Chris Claremont X-men run of the bronze and copper age.It is must read modern material. What you got in Johns is as close to a Alan Moore comics will get for awhile.Johns,along with the upcoming movie hype has made SA Green Lantern relevent again.

Fixed that for you. The title was still a good read after Byrne left, just not as aesthetically pleasing. (thumbs u

so there is a raw sc 22 on ebay right now listed as 6.5 f+.. guess who the seller is?

NARBETH aka.. MAKEMEANOFFERANDWIN,LEXERIFIC...CDPAOLI

book is guaranteed to be overgraded and/or restored.. beware of this sale and dont jump all over it..

anybody recognize this book as a previous owner/slabbed book?? seller is know for cracking restored/slabbed books and reselling as unrestored raw or as a much higher grade than was the slab... looks like a 4.5 to me.. not a 6.5....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-Vol-1-Fine-6-5-1st-Green-Lantern_W0QQitemZ220497567436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3356addecc

Edited by kryptospidey

so there is a raw sc 22 on ebay right now listed as 6.5 f+.. guess who the seller is?

book is guaranteed to be overgraded and/or restored.. beware of this sale and dont jump all over it..

anybody recognize this book as a previous owner/slabbed book?? seller is know for cracking restored/slabbed books and reselling as unrestored raw or as a much higher grade than was the slab... looks like a 4.5 to me.. not a 6.5....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Showcase-22-Vol-1-Fine-6-5-1st-Green-Lantern_W0QQitemZ220497567436QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3356addecc

This is the same slight restored 5.0 which was offered in the forum last two months ago, and about a month ago on Ebay. Not a 6.5!!

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Still a nice copy for someone who doesn't want to pay the high-slab fee.

I just posted the Question

"this looks very similar to a restored copy that was offered a while back, can you guarantee that this is not a restored copy, and if it turns out to be that you would offer a refund even after the 4 day limit, thanks Joe"

:popcorn:

I just posted the Question

"this looks very similar to a restored copy that was offered a while back, can you guarantee that this is not a restored copy, and if it turns out to be that you would offer a refund even after the 4 day limit, thanks Joe"

:popcorn:

answer should be interesting

so i sent a message to seller via ebay.. here is the question and the response...

Dear cdpaoli,

pretty interesting your selling this raw unrestored and it was a cgc 5.0 restored offered for sale on the cgc boards a few months ago.. another of your scams..."This is the same slight restored 5.0 which was offered in the forum last time about two months ago, and about a month ago on Ebay. Not a 6.5!!

"

Dear goldenrecordbuyer,

What was the restoration on the comic? Was it Slight? Extensive? Could the restoration have been safely removed? These are all questions you should think about before harassing me. I purchased this comic as unrestored, not restored. My grade is my opinion of the comic. No scams here. Stop harassing me.

- cdpaoli

Edited by kryptospidey

so i sent a message to seller via ebay.. here is the question and the response...

Dear cdpaoli,

pretty interesting your selling this raw unrestored and it was a cgc 5.0 restored offered for sale on the cgc boards a few months ago.. another of your scams..."This is the same slight restored 5.0 which was offered in the forum last time about two months ago, and about a month ago on Ebay. Not a 6.5!!

"

Dear goldenrecordbuyer,

What was the restoration on the comic? Was it Slight? Extensive? Could the restoration have been safely removed? These are all questions you should think about before harassing me. I purchased this comic as unrestored, not restored. My grade is my opinion of the comic. No scams here. Stop harassing me.

- cdpaoli

This always makes me think when I see these auctions, if your book is worth some good coin, why not get it CGC`ed? this would make buyers feel a whole lot more comfortable, they would probally get more bids.I see all these auctions, lots of nice looking books but there is no way I am spending big coin on a rare key unless it`s slabbed.