• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

Just a thought but what other pedigrees of SC 22 are out there?

:bump: anyone? Anyone?

Western Penn hidden somewhere out there. I imagine there has to be a Bethlehem copy also but out of sight out of mind.

The Western Penn 22, 23, 24 sold as a group for $1000 in 1988 to a west coast collector.

Tom

First time in a while to see such a high grade for sale and it will be interesting to see the final results. :hi:

Western Penn hidden somewhere out there. I imagine there has to be a Bethlehem copy also but out of sight out of mind.

The Western Penn 22, 23, 24 sold as a group for $1000 in 1988 to a west coast collector.

Tom

That is a bargain and I wonder if the collector is going to ever get it graded. hm

I don't mean to offend the owner if he is here, but how the heck did that book get a 7.5 with all of that creasing in the bottom right corner? Add in the soft upper corners, creases and light surface rubbing along the spine, what appears to be light surface wear/smudging on the middle of the right edge, and that looks like an aggressive grade to me.

Edited by kimik

Yeah! I might even submit mine if you could guarantee I'd get the same grader, my 22 would get an 8.0 or even much higher. Rich would have himself a 9.2 Bet the morning coffee was extra special that day.

I don't mean to offend the owner if he is here, but how the heck did that book get a 7.5 with all of that creasing in the bottom right corner? Add in the soft upper corners, creases and light surface rubbing along the spine, what appears to be light surface wear/smudging on the middle of the right edge, and that looks like an aggressive grade to me.

I like Brannon's former 7.5 copy better. This copy 7.0. (shrug)

Here's 24... please remember, this is a huge scan. I never claimed it was a 10

showcase24frontsmaller.jpg

Click here to see larger scan of front

showcase24backsmaller.jpg

Click here to see a larger scan of the back cover

That's another beauty. Looks like this copy was stacked nicely in the OO collection since the tanning is minimal. A great shot of a 8.5+.

Nice copy of #24. (thumbs u

+1, Really nice, even for a Mohawk Valley ! (lol) .

With just the tiniest bit of tanning, and even with the huge scan (which exagerates all flaws), the #24 looks like a winner. I'd call it 8.5. In hand it may be a 9.0 .

I'd submit it. You can always crack it open if you don't like the grade. In fact, why not use a Collector's Society coupon on all three = for 100.00 they all get graded.

Nice copy of #24. (thumbs u

+1, Really nice, even for a Mohawk Valley ! (lol) .

With just the tiniest bit of tanning, and even with the huge scan (which exagerates all flaws), the #24 looks like a winner. I'd call it 8.5. In hand it may be a 9.0 .

I'd submit it. You can always crack it open if you don't like the grade. In fact, why not use a Collector's Society coupon on all three = for 100.00 they all get graded.

Now, when is the #23. hm

Edited by showcase22gr1959

I like Brannon's former 7.5 copy better. This copy 7.0. (shrug)

Agreed. Not the PQ and the creases would surely bother me. (shrug)

Tom

That is a bargain

Not in 1988 it wasn`t.

Tom

That is a bargain

Not in 1988 it wasn`t.

I saw the Bethlehem copies of 22 - 24 back in about 1996. I think the 22 was 8.0ish with the 23 and 24 much nicer.

Tom

What kind of grades would you say they were, Tom?

[quote=linmoth

Tom

What kind of grades would you say they were, Tom?

Tim: I never saw the books, they were in a CBG ad. When I called they had already been sold. They were listed as NM and NM+. But as a consolation I bought the GL 1 and Showcase 43. I sold the GL 1 in a Sothebys auction and the Showcase 43 graded 9.2.

Considering the way the B & B 34,35,36 and the Showcase 34, 35, 36 were stored I would say they have to be in the 9.0-9.4 range.

I have color copies of the GL 1 and have been watching for it when one comes up for sale but haven't seen it yet.

Best Tom