• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #22 Club
14 14

7,061 posts in this topic

So you think dealer stock is that low on the book?

And that many collectors are willing to sell?

Does anybody lock books away anymore?

What is the average hold time on high grade books in general?

So your opinon is this book has to have another big price run to see a big increase in supply like we saw in 2009.

I think that there will be a bunch of copies on the market in a couple of months again, but the big spike in 2009 also forced a lot of fence sitters (including me) to finally get a copy of SC #22 that will sit in collections for a long time now. It seems like that is the pattern with SA DC collectors - they buy a copy to keep for the long run.

WRT high grade books, the best known copy of SC #22 to date (Clink 9.0) is locked up tight. I think that SC #22 is so hard to find in 8.0+ that if you can afford to hold it you will.

That being said, over the next decade I expect a number of new HG GA and SA collections to hit the market as long time collectors or their heirs cash out. While these boards are a good representation of the active collector set, there are a lot of old timers with collections amassed in the 50s, 60s and 70s that have yet to resurface. I am hoping the next decade will see some forgotten gems come to market - even if I can't afford them, I can appreciate them. (thumbs u

I'm waiting for you to pop-out a 6.0+ out of the blue for the club. :baiting:

Here's a question for you. Let's say there are 1000 copies of SC 22 for illustration sake.

How many are in collectors hands?

How many are in dealers hands?

How many are for sale at the right price?

How many are not for sale at any price?

How much does the book have to escalate in value to get more to shake free?

It seemed like when AF15 went on a run that there was 7.5-8.5 for sale all the time. Now prices have stablized and they went back in hiding. Has the same happened to SC22? Is that the reason you don't see SC4 come up that often 6.0+ or is it really that tough of a book.

This had me thinking. hm

I'll make a fun and speculated guess.

I would image there would be 800-1000

This is a sizzling book for dealers to flip 10-20 copies.

700-900 copies

less than <5

3/4 of AF15's price.

Let's do a fun blue label ratio test:

5.0+

Showcase 4 37.12%

Showcase 22 29.10%

Showcase 22 is more scarce in 5.0+

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6.0+

Showcase 4 5.07%

Showcase 22 6.09%

Showcase 4 is more scarce in 6.0+

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

7.5+

Showcase 4 12.12 %

Showcase 22 5.06%

Showcase 22 is more scarce in 7.5+

From the ratio test

SC22 is more scarce in 5.0+

SC4 is more scarce in 6.0+

SC22 is more scarce in 7.5+

Here's a more concise way to put that:

SC22 is more scarce in 5.0-5.5

SC4 is more scarce from 6.0 to 7.0

Here's a question for you. Let's say there are 1000 copies of SC 22 for illustration sake.

It seemed like when AF15 went on a run that there was 7.5-8.5 for sale all the time. Now prices have stablized and they went back in hiding. Has the same happened to SC22? Is that the reason you don't see SC4 come up that often 6.0+ or is it really that tough of a book.

This had me thinking. hm

I'll make a fun and speculated guess.

I would image there would be 800-1000

This is a sizzling book for dealers to flip 10-20 copies.

700-900 copies

less than <5

3/4 of AF15's price.

Let's do a fun blue label ratio test:

5.0+

Showcase 4 37.12%

Showcase 22 29.10%

Showcase 22 is more scarce in 5.0+

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6.0+

Showcase 4 5.07%

Showcase 22 6.09%

Showcase 4 is more scarce in 6.0+

7.5+

Showcase 4 12.12 %

Showcase 22 5.06%

Showcase 22 is more scarce in 7.5+

From the ratio test

SC22 is more scarce in 5.0+

SC4 is more scarce in 6.0+

Here's a more concise way to put that:

SC22 is more scarce in 5.0-5.5

SC4 is more scarce from 6.0 to 7.0

Wow, didn't think of that. (thumbs u

Right now I would only buy one if I could find it raw and for OSPG. Looking at the $$$ a 6.0+ would set me back, I would rather put that toward a pre-Robin Tec with a Batman cover or an Action under #20 with a Supes cover. (thumbs u

It seems like that is the pattern with SA DC collectors - they buy a copy to keep for the long run.

That's me! I can't understand the fellows who say they're "collectors" but behave differently.

(shrug)

Right now I would only buy one if I could find it raw and for OSPG. Looking at the $$$ a 6.0+ would set me back, I would rather put that toward a pre-Robin Tec with a Batman cover or an Action under #20 with a Supes cover. (thumbs u

Never say never. I agree, those pre-Robin Tec and early Sup covers are really cool and nostalgic to collect. I did recall sometime last year on Ebay, there was a raw SC22 which look 6.0 that went for over $4K. I wonder if that copy ever got graded.

The Light Tan Showcase 24 9.0 is in the Feb Clink Auction. Wonder if there is a profit to be made off of this book. Surprised it didn't get resubbed for a PQ check.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dshowcase%2B%26x%3D9%26y%3D12%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_876703&id=876703

The Light Tan Showcase 24 9.0 is in the Feb Clink Auction. Wonder if there is a profit to be made off of this book. Surprised it didn't get resubbed for a PQ check.

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dshowcase%2B%26x%3D9%26y%3D12%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_876703&id=876703

yes, by the boardie who snatched it off ebay

Nice scan now and I wonder if the second buyer had second thoughts.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Here is a front and a back scan of the SC 22 CGC 6.0 Cr/OW. Please bare with my scanner. I will try to figure a better configuration. I think this one looks better than the one on Clink, and the page quality is slightly better too. Those marks on the left side of the scans are from my scanner, not the book.

sc22cgc0002.jpg

sc22cgc0004.jpg

Edited by Nikelspot

Here is a front and a back scan of the SC 22 CGC 6.0 Cr/OW. Please bare with my scanner. I will try to figure a better configuration. I think this one looks better than the one on Clink, and the page quality is slightly better too. Those marks on the left side of the scans are from my scanner, not the book.

sc22cgc0002.jpg

sc22cgc0004.jpg

I like the shot you took of your SC22 for the club better than the scan. If you can make a better scan, the club can compare the two much better. Your copy does look better. The CL copy has tanning and lt/crm PQ which hurt that copy.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

sc22cgc0002.jpg

sc22cgc0004.jpg

I like the shot you took of your SC22 for the club better than the scan. If you can make a better scan, the club can compare the two much better. Your copy does look better. The CL copy has tanning and lt/crm PQ which hurt that copy.

It looks really nice. I guess it went down cause of the crease in the right corner (is it a crease? It looks like one).

I am pretty sure, it's gonna go for more than 2500$

I am pretty sure, it's gonna go for more than 2500$

For sure...but let's see if it breaks $6K for the seller to break even. hm