• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blackest Night #1

563 posts in this topic

:gossip: Hiyo!

What is getting me is... why on earth would DC use variant ratios of Marvel?

I mean... 1:250? You gotta be kidding me. I know there is hype for Blackest Night, but geez!

Its hard enough for my local comic book shop to get all the covers for series like... The Stand, Stephen King: American Nightmares (Which they do not even get more than 2 of the 1:25 cover and there is 3 covers for each issue!) and missing MANY of the Dynamite Entertainment Comics series covers.

Are they trying to not make money and at the same time flood the comic book stores with Blackest Night books?

Why did they not do it like they did Final Crisis?

Or... do a 50/50 cover and do a variant ratio of 1:50 of a 2nd print re-order with a sketch variant for incentive purposes? I mean, if they do it like this... comic shops are not pressured to go bankrupt for variants and flooded with non-variant cover Blackest Night books.

This is gonna blow if I cannot get the entire collection of Blackest Night books to go with my entire collection of Final Crisis.

I think DC realized that whatever it takes to increase orders, they're in. They've been hyping this arc for years, so the 1:250s' are another effort to maximize off of it.

I liked the story. I wonder if this arc will give birth to the animated version. That would be incredible. hm

:baiting: Hiyo!

I get what your saying, but who is really getting the chance to "maximize" off the hype of the series...

... DC who is forcing the hand of the stores to buy a "boat load" of the books due to (supposed) expected sells and hype for the series at the expense of the (already pressure for) stores to have the corresponding variant covers for the series or the store owners who charges a "boat load" for the variants they put themselves in the hole for?

I just do not like it one bit... and my collection and/or maybe pocketbook is cruelly gonna be the victim when this is all done, and I do not like it one bit.

I can see your point, but my word of advice would be to stay away from the variants for now and buy them at 50% or more off from your LCS in a year or two. Yes, you might have to wait a bit, but these variants only have a limited life span so it is not worth it.

WRT the stores, my LCS has been increasing the number of shelf copies of GL and GL Corps for the past year and they sell through fast. I don't know if they hit the magic 250 issue number, but if they did I know that one of their employees already has the variant (he is a GL fan as well, unfortunately). However, they will not order more than they think they need to just to get a variant. That does not make business sense at all.

I wonder if this arc will give birth to the animated version. That would be incredible. hm

Cute Lil DC Zombies? (shrug)

lol

Hey have you seen the Wonder Woman DVD? In 2k9, it looks like animated "cartoons" are not just for kids anymore. There was enough violence to make sure my kids don't get a hold of it.

I could see them making a Blackest Night animated version...at least from what we see so far.

I mean... 1:250? You gotta be kidding me. I know there is hype for Blackest Night, but geez!

Its hard enough for my local comic book shop to get all the covers for series like... The Stand, Stephen King: American Nightmares (Which they do not even get more than 2 of the 1:25 cover and there is 3 covers for each issue!) and missing MANY of the Dynamite Entertainment Comics series covers.

Are they trying to not make money and at the same time flood the comic book stores with Blackest Night books?

Or... do a 50/50 cover and do a variant ratio of 1:50 of a 2nd print re-order with a sketch variant for incentive purposes? I mean, if they do it like this... comic shops are not pressured to go bankrupt for variants and flooded with non-variant cover Blackest Night books.

This is gonna blow if I cannot get the entire collection of Blackest Night books to go with my entire collection of Final Crisis.

I think DC realized that whatever it takes to increase orders, they're in. They've been hyping this arc for years, so the 1:250s' are another effort to maximize off of it.

I liked the story. I wonder if this arc will give birth to the animated version. That would be incredible. hm

I get what your saying, but who is really getting the chance to "maximize" off the hype of the series...

... DC who is forcing the hand of the stores to buy a "boat load" of the books due to (supposed) expected sells and hype for the series at the expense of the (already pressure for) stores to have the corresponding variant covers for the series or the store owners who charges a "boat load" for the variants they put themselves in the hole for?

I just do not like it one bit... and my collection and/or maybe pocketbook is cruelly gonna be the victim when this is all done, and I do not like it one bit.

I completely agree with you regarding the consumer. The only entity maximizing off of this would

be DC (and Black Hand, of course).

I completely agree with you regarding the consumer. The only entity maximizing off of this would

But here is the thing - those variants drop in value like a rock shortly after the hype dies down. If collectors are foolish enough to buy them right after they come out then that is their fault, not DC or the dealers. Remember all the suckers that chased "newly released" variants during the early 90s? How did that work out for them?

If a dealer can sell this 250:1 variant for $200 - $300 to a fanboy, then it is worth ordering the 250 copies to get it. All they would have to do is move 100 - 150 books + the variants (there is the other one as well) to break even or turn a small profit. However, if you can't sell 100 copies, then it is not worth taking the risk unless you like having your small backroom storage space filled with 10 cent books for the next 20 years.

A LCS had to order 50 books at least to be able to buy the rings. Then they weren't free, had to be bought. We were giving one away with each book. Good little conversation piece and if you don't like toys, why are you reading comics?

I didnt know it was a requirement to play with toys to be able to read and enjoy comic books. (shrug)

A LCS had to order 50 books at least to be able to buy the rings. Then they weren't free, had to be bought. We were giving one away with each book. Good little conversation piece and if you don't like toys, why are you reading comics?

I didnt know it was a requirement to play with toys to be able to read and enjoy comic books. (shrug)

It's in paragraph 2, section 4 of rule #33 in the comic book rule book. :sumo:

I read it today, and I'm hooked for the next 7 ish's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.......mind was racing over how it will be. The confusion for me is in the continuity of Blackest Night and Cry for Justice.....seperate or occuring at the same time???

I read it today, and I'm hooked for the next 7 ish's. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.......mind was racing over how it will be. The confusion for me is in the continuity of Blackest Night and Cry for Justice.....seperate or occuring at the same time???

If I;m not mistaken, Cry for Justice was also delayed itself. So I gotta lean towards that Cry for Justice definately takes place before Blackest Night even though only 1 issue is out

But here is the thing - those variants drop in value like a rock shortly after the hype dies down. If collectors are foolish enough to buy them right after they come out then that is their fault, not DC or the dealers. Remember all the suckers that chased "newly released" variants during the early 90s? How did that work out for them?

If a dealer can sell this 250:1 variant for $200 - $300 to a fanboy, then it is worth ordering the 250 copies to get it. All they would have to do is move 100 - 150 books + the variants (there is the other one as well) to break even or turn a small profit. However, if you can't sell 100 copies, then it is not worth taking the risk unless you like having your small backroom storage space filled with 10 cent books for the next 20 years.

(shrug) Hiyo!

I guess I am just saying that I am strongly pissed about this decision from (Youknowwho at DC!) and wished they did this series like Final Crisis, because it sold great too!

For Final Crisis: I got my 50/50 cover plus a 2nd print (Mostly for the mini-series first issue) due to hype... and was also able to pickup the 2nd print sketch variant of Final Crisis #6 (depicting Superman holding the charred body of Batman, simply beautiful!), and the one for Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns.

P.S.

So wait... there is 3 covers (Regular, variant, and sketch variant) for each issue of Blackest Night series, what is the ratios then?

I hope its not... 1:100 for variant and 1:250 for sketch? I am gonna be so angry if it is... :censored:

Sorry to hear about your plight Spectre, but man, glad I got that need to have all the variant covers out of my system back in the early 90's.

Good luck with your quest!

Sorry to hear about your plight Spectre, but man, glad I got that need to have all the variant covers out of my system back in the early 90's.

:news: Hiyo!

Do not get me wrong!

If the price is too expensive or they do not have it, then I am okay without it, but sucks for the reasons why though I do not have it.

I haven't seen very many people (from owning 2 LCS) that collected comics and didn't at least enjoy the comic toys (or some type of related toys) too.

I haven't seen very many people (from owning 2 LCS) that collected comics and didn't at least enjoy the comic toys (or some type of related toys) too.

I don't like toys.... :sumo:

But the Bowen statues and busts are starting to look more impressive each day. :shy:

:news: Hiyo!

Do not get me wrong!

If the price is too expensive or they do not have it, then I am okay without it, but sucks for the reasons why though I do not have it.

Just be patient, Spectre, and wait for the LCSs to start dumping them next year after the hype is done. My LCS has a 50% off sale on all of their variants/premiums that did not sell from the past year. Even then, most of the books are sitting with no takers.

Read it yesterday and thought it was a great intro.

Love seeing swarms of rings flying around.

Still interested in seeing undead Bats.

My BL ring was free. I think they were supposed to be free with the book. That's how DCBS advertised it anyway.

In vaguely related news, my wife brought me home a t-shirt yesterday. The cover of GL 43, Black Hand hugging the Bruce Wayne gravestone cover image. It's very cool.