• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circle 8 books

17 posts in this topic

It was a hoard of unsold news stand book. That's why there were multiples of so many books. Some books sold, some didn't. There were multiple ASM #1s, I think (about 8-10 of them?). Some issues had upwards of 25 copies. It was a huge hoard. I don't have my paper in front of me, but I want to say about 20,000+ books.

Greg Bulls was the one who would bring the collection to market, as far as I know.

I think it is highly debatable to say that this is not a pedigree. One way or the other, it is crazy to decide it is one thing and then change your mind. For Atlas collectors like myself the Circle 8 books are indispensable.

The circle 8 collection consisted of approximately 90,000 comics from 1950-1975. The collection was amassed by Tucson resident Edward Kerber. Mr.Kerber accumulated newsstand comics, newsstand overages, and collections. Some of the comics he would mark with an "8" with a circle around it, in grease pencil. This marking affected probably less than 1% of the comics, but is the reason for the moniker. The collection included newsstand quantities (50-200 copies) of many 1950s books, primarily Dell four colors and Atlas horror comics - including tough books such as Yellow Claw. Also included were VF or better copies of FF #1 (x1), Avengers #1 (x4), Amazing 10-40 (x5-10 of each), Detective 225 (x1) and multiple high grade copies of 1967 and prior Marvels from mainstream titles. Also included were less noteworthy keys, such as 5 Amazing 1s, 8-10 Amazing 14s, and multiples of just about every other Marvel key in lower grade.

The collection was found by Bulldog Collectibles owner Gregory Buls in 1989, and purchased en masse in 1991. Because of the predominance of higher grade comics, the market value of the books today would certainly stretch into the millions, perhaps 10 million USD or more.

With all the controversy over what is a pedigree and what is a warehouse find perhaps CGC should make a list of what defines each and what past finds fit in each category and then it would be clearer where each find belongs.

Since they don't specifically state the word pedigree on CGC labels along with the name it wouldn't be a big issue with what is on the existing slabs since whether it is a pedigree or warehouse find is externally defined.

Or we could make that list right here hm

I agree it should never have been a ped, but it certainly yielded some sweet books. IMO the 'circle8' designation should be under the pq like other noteworthy collections (if they even do that anymore)

scan0007-3.jpg

Widest thread ever!

Dont hammer me, but why do people not consider this a pedigree?

People don't consider it a pedigree because they dump it in with warehouse finds, i.e. dealer over stock. In this case it was an individual who collected unsold books. Apparently if a person collects single copies it is a pedigree, but if they collect multiple copies it isn't. (shrug)

Mike

I agree it should never have been a ped, but it certainly yielded some sweet books. IMO the 'circle8' designation should be under the pq like other noteworthy collections (if they even do that anymore)

that would make sense. Nick Cage got the same label recognition - i imagine he wasnt the original owner of all of this books....

i dont think they do this anymore as ive had dallas stephens books come back with nothing on the label - yet there are some cgc books recognizing the "collection" under the pq

Widest thread ever!

Dont hammer me, but why do people not consider this a pedigree?

People don't consider it a pedigree because they dump it in with warehouse finds, i.e. dealer over stock. In this case it was an individual who collected unsold books. Apparently if a person collects single copies it is a pedigree, but if they collect multiple copies it isn't. (shrug)

Mike

I have trouble calling it a ped because it lacks complete runs.

I think it is highly debatable to say that this is not a pedigree. One way or the other, it is crazy to decide it is one thing and then change your mind. For Atlas collectors like myself the Circle 8 books are indispensable.

The circle 8 collection consisted of approximately 90,000 comics from 1950-1975. The collection was amassed by Tucson resident Edward Kerber. Mr.Kerber accumulated newsstand comics, newsstand overages, and collections. Some of the comics he would mark with an "8" with a circle around it, in grease pencil. This marking affected probably less than 1% of the comics, but is the reason for the moniker. The collection included newsstand quantities (50-200 copies) of many 1950s books, primarily Dell four colors and Atlas horror comics - including tough books such as Yellow Claw. Also included were VF or better copies of FF #1 (x1), Avengers #1 (x4), Amazing 10-40 (x5-10 of each), Detective 225 (x1) and multiple high grade copies of 1967 and prior Marvels from mainstream titles. Also included were less noteworthy keys, such as 5 Amazing 1s, 8-10 Amazing 14s, and multiples of just about every other Marvel key in lower grade.

The collection was found by Bulldog Collectibles owner Gregory Buls in 1989, and purchased en masse in 1991. Because of the predominance of higher grade comics, the market value of the books today would certainly stretch into the millions, perhaps 10 million USD or more.

....... the ones I've had were very glossy with nice PQ and color. Whether a pedigree or not, to me they are noteworthy and a factor that would encourage me to buy a book from this group of books sight unseen. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u