• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

COI is a paragon of information. Every morning I PM him asking, "Andrew, should I mess or go blind?" Every morning he answers the same, "Go blind. That way you can't ing type."

(worship)

I am sure that he is. And he uses big words. He's a regular Dennis Miller of the CGC boards. Oh wait. Maybe that title should go to that guy The Question. Either way I like them both. Well, maybe I don't like The Question all that much.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price? I wasn't aware I was being so obtuse that I needed to clarify.

I understood the question, and I answered it; consumption. He bought it when he wanted to buy it, because he wanted it there and then. It's no different than buying a DVD the day it comes out, as opposed to waiting for it to drop in price a year later.

Thank you for speaking for him. And if you happen to be correct, I have no issue with that. I was just asking HIM to elaborate. Glad you're here to answer for others though. What would they do without you?

Can I get Andrew to answer for me too?

:wishluck:

That way I can spend more time in the babe thread and not have to spend as much time here.

:grin:

Oh, I'm sorry; I was under the impression that you were asking him that question in order to find a reason as to why someone would buy something NOW, as opposed to buying something later for a lower price.

I didn't realize that you were interested solely in the buying motivations of Boozad, and not the more general discussion that we were having in this thread.

Welcome to my, "What you collect sucks," thread. :hi:

No, that is NOT what I said, or intended to say.

If people want to collect 9.6 moderns that's cool ..... I was just trying to get some insight into WHY they chose to collect them.

Why does anybody collect anything?

Why are some people so interested in things they don't collect themselves?

hm

I'm not sure I understand why anybody collects anything aside from "liking" it or "investing" in it. I do know that I have had a fun time the past 2 months buying 9.0 SA Avenger books for fractions of what 9.2/9.4/9.6 go for. They're not as nice as those but they seem to be had relatively cheap. And I like that.

Exactly!

You set your bar to 9.0 on SA Avengers, and this spreads your money out wisely to keep buying more versus wanting just a few 9.6/9.8 copies. Others that are investors would take the opposite approach.

Either way works, depending on the individual's goals. I'd rather stick with your approach as a collector, and keep on buying more.

I am an ardent believer that there is no right or wrong way to collect. With my Avenger run I just happened to find my sweet spot. I picked up #47 on ebay yesterday, slabbed 9.0 with OW/W pages for $48.00. How sweet is that considering the cost of slabbing and shipping to CGC & back. I'm thrilled. And there just happens to be a CGC 9.8 #47 on ebay right now just over $600.00. I'm sure the winner is going to be just as thrilled with that as I am.

Oh, I'm sorry; I was under the impression that you were asking him that question in order to find a reason as to why someone would buy something NOW, as opposed to buying something later for a lower price.

I didn't realize that you were interested solely in the buying motivations of Boozad, and not the more general discussion that we were having in this thread.

That's why I quoted him and not why I didn't simply post a reply asking the question in general to everyone. It's no big deal. I just read his post and he was very matter of fact about it and I wanted to know if he knew or thought that the 9.8's were going to come down in price in a relatively short time span (not necessarily a year, you know, like a DVD might). Who doesn't understand the basic concept of consumption or the desire to satisfy a want? Who hasn't bought something even though they know the price will likely come down in time? You're preaching to the choir on that regard....buying what you want. I was just curious b/c as obsessive as I am, even I can wait 60 days if somebody tells me I can have "x" for less or for the same price as a lesser copy.

ps: read his post again, the last sentence is really what struck me. He seems to have an understanding of this market we're talking about. So, given his knowledge and understanding that you can wait out a 9.8 and buy it for a 9.6 price in short order, why buy the 9.6 at all? Simply for the instantaneous gratification? If so, great. Just wanted to hear his thoughts.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price?

And on this fair question, what I have run into quite a bit on here is I will purchase someone's 9.2/9.4/9.6 and some will share that this is their undercopy that I am buying because they just upgraded.

So, in most cases someone will complete a set of whatever, then circle back and start the upgrade process if that is their goal.

Makes sense to me if their next new goal is how high they can take each book.

That's why I quoted him and not why I didn't simply post a reply asking the question in general to everyone. It's no big deal. I just read his post and he was very matter of fact about it and I wanted to know if he knew or thought that the 9.8's were going to come down in price in a relatively short time span (not necessarily a year, you know, like a DVD might). Who doesn't understand the basic concept of consumption or the desire to satisfy a want? Who hasn't bought something even though they know the price will likely come down in time? You're preaching to the choir on that regard....buying what you want. I was just curious b/c as obsessive as I am, even I can wait 60 days if somebody tells me I can have "x" for less or for the same price as a lesser copy.

9.6 or 9.8, none of it means anything to me. I simply wonder why somebody would buy 9.6 if they could get a 9.8 a couple months later for the same price.

So, which is it? I'm confused.

I am simply wondering why you would buy 9.6's in the first place if you know you can obtain 9.8's later for the same price?

And on this fair question, what I have run into quite a bit on here is I will purchase someone's 9.2/9.4/9.6 and some will share that this is their undercopy that I am buying because they just upgraded.

So, in most cases someone will complete a set of whatever, then circle back and start the upgrade process if that is their goal.

Makes sense to me if their next new goal is how high they can take each book.

Ok. The run filler and then upgrade route. Didn't think of that to be honest. Like I said, I don't know the high grade/modern market. I do understand the thirst to buy though. I think everyone does. From my perspective, if I knew a 9.8 was going to drop in a relatively short time span, I would probably wait it out (as Boozad even suggested in his post) and then buy it versus buying the 9.6, only to have to buy the 9.8 and then move the 9.6. Of course I'm assuming one would be inclined to move the 9.6 and perhaps they are not.

I thought my question to Boozad was in the spirit of the OP's thread. You know, understanding why somebody collects what they do. I didn't expect to have to defend myself for wanting to understand another boardie. I never realized questioning for understanding was akin to looking down on somebody.

I think you're oversimplifying what Boozad said - yes, there are some books where you only have to wait a couple of months for the 9.8 prices to drop significantly. But more often than not, those are "hype" books where the first copies to market always sell for a great deal more than what the next copies will sell for. The Obama ASM variant is a great example of this - same for the recalled All Star Batman & Robin. Modern sketch cover variants usually fall into that category as well.

(This is definitely not limited to slabbed books either, though - in those cases raw books usually see the same price decrease).

But that's not the norm, though - there are plenty of books where 9.8 prices have remained pretty constant over a long period of time, and where the divide between the 9.6 & 9.8 prices remain the same. And plenty of other books where 9.8 prices have increased over time (so the "crazy" price you paid for your 9.8 copy a couple of years ago now seems like a bargain). And even more cases where 9.8 prices might dip a little, then go back up again, then go back down again, etc.

It's not really a black & white situation - there is no golden rule here - because you never know when demand outstrips supply & vice-versa.

I thought my question to Boozad was in the spirit of the OP's thread. You know, understanding why somebody collects what they do. I didn't expect to have to defend myself for wanting to understand another boardie.

My answer to your question to Boozad, while I'm not Boozad, was in the spirit of the OP's thread. Your response to my answer was NOT in the spirit of the thread, because this thread isn't entitled "why does Boozad buy modern 9.6s".

:baiting:

I think you're oversimplifying what Boozad said - yes, there are some books where you only have to wait a couple of months for the 9.8 prices to drop significantly. But more often than not, those are "hype" books where the first copies to market always sell for a great deal more than what the next copies will sell for. The Obama ASM variant is a great example of this - same for the recalled All Star Batman & Robin. Modern sketch cover variants usually fall into that category as well.

But that's not the norm, though - there are plenty of books where 9.8 prices have remained pretty constant over a long period of time, and where the divide between the 9.6 & 9.8 prices remain the same. And plenty of other books where 9.8 prices have increased over time (so the "crazy" price you paid for your 9.8 copy a couple of years ago now seems like a bargain).

It's not really a black & white situation - there is no golden rule here - because you never know when demand outstrips supply & vice-versa.

Oh lord. I can't believe I am engaging in this absurdity. Whatever, I will oblige and try to alleviate your confusion.

I quoted Boozad. Not you. Confusing? I hope not.

You responded directly to me. So I responded in kind.

What's so confusing? You entered the conversation and it opened up to everyone.

I'm not saying you original comment was unwarranted necessarily. But the fact of the matter is I quoted Boozad, wanting to hear from Boozad.

It's rather uncomplicated if you take more time to think about it and less time trying to one-up me. (thumbs u

I have loads of modern 9.6s. Could've sworn they were 9.8s when I subbed them meh

If people are willing to buy them I'm running a sales thread.

Wow, Professor Boozad pulls one off again. His brevity leads to an extended discussion that now I'm wondering how I missed his intended message. I had stopped at "...I'm running a sales thread"

Gav, I told you it was good to have you back. :foryou:

(This is definitely not limited to slabbed books either, though - in those cases raw books usually see the same price decrease).

But that's not the norm, though - there are plenty of books where 9.8 prices have remained pretty constant over a long period of time, and where the divide between the 9.6 & 9.8 prices remain the same. And plenty of other books where 9.8 prices have increased over time (so the "crazy" price you paid for your 9.8 copy a couple of years ago now seems like a bargain). And even more cases where 9.8 prices might dip a little, then go back up again, then go back down again, etc.

That's cool. That's sort of what I was asking. I even mentioned the bit about knowing if a 9.8 is going to drop. And since you mentioned it, his post about SS RIP variants or some such? Would those be considered "hype" books as well?

Look, I don't know why this has become such a cluster. And maybe I am simplifying what Boozad said. I was just curious. He was clear and succinct and seemed to have a grasp of that market. So I just wondered why he'd buy a 9.6 when he can have a 9.8 a couple months later. I'm not looking down on him for it. Just wondering.

Dude, they're taking the pizz out of you. :gossip:

I don't know what that means. You'll have to forgive me. Too many pucks to the skull I guess.

ps: I do know why this turned into a cluster. It's b/c its CG. That's sort of par for the course. Heck, even the HBD threads go to hell around here. Everybody's panties are wound too tight I guess. Which is why I freeball. (thumbs u

Everybody's panties are wound too tight I guess.

Including yours. I think you're the only one here that's actually getting worked up, and now you're ignoring posts. :baiting: