• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

I buy loads of 9.6 books for my Tec run. Whats the problem? I could spend 6 times as much for the 9.8, or I could buy the 9.6 for less then having the book graded. I stop this practice at issue 600, after that all 9.8s. But the Tec 9.8s are going crazy.

So the real question for me is this. Is it REALLY worth spending $5,000.00 on a CA Tec run? I would say no. $50.00 per book vs. 13-19.00 per book to me is a no brainer. And each 9.8 that surfaces pushes the last sale price down.

Many collectors want a NM copy of a book. Very many don't care if it's the "Highest Graded" copy, they just want a very nice copy, as nice as they can afford. CGC 9.6 books are nice looking NM books and don't set a person back an arm & a leg. What is so hard to understand about that?!?

Many collectors want a NM copy of a book. Very many don't care if it's the "Highest Graded" copy, they just want a very nice copy, as nice as they can afford. CGC 9.6 books are nice looking NM books and don't set a person back an arm & a leg. What is so hard to understand about that?!?

They're too busy looking up the bridge of their noses and praying to God it doesn't rain so they don't drown.

They're too busy looking up the bridge of their noses and praying to God it doesn't rain so they don't drown.

You know what? You're right. (worship)

hah hah, once upon a time people actually bought NM- copies of these books raw and paid decent money for some of them. why was anyone buying a raw NM- copy of these books when there were no doubt plenty of NM or better copies?(honestly, I do not recall people talking about anything higher than NM way back when, but people here have said otherwise so I guess people were, but not at all like today)

and anyway, 9.8s of some of those CA books (given that you say post-83) are pretty expensive and 9.6ses are less budget busters. why buy a 9.6 from 2005? yes, that's a good question, i don't get that one, even if the slab is only $10, it costs money to ship and chances are you can easily get a raw copy much cheaper, putting aside some hot #1 like Goon or whatever.

once upon a time there were only a couple of guys (whose names would pop up in auction reports in the old overstreet magazine and so on) who were obsessed with have the "best" copy. most of the rest of us were just trying to find a nice copy. actually, i wasn't even doing that. when I was collecting SA in the early 90's and putting together a spidey run, given that i could buy 7-10 VG+ copies for the price of a NM copy, I tended to go with the VG+ copies. hindsight being 20/20, i could have done better focusing on the NM copies, but spreading my collecting buck seemed to make sense at the time.

funny, i don't see anyone questioning why anyone would collect a 5.0 captain marvel 60 or WDCS 78 or pick your random GA book....those books arent exactly hard to find in that sort of grade either.

Who in the world thinks that every comic that has a 9.6 copy available will find a 9.8 in the same price range???

Certainly not me if that's who you were aiming at. I was just pointing out that I didn't grasp the concept of modern variant gimmicks. Every single Bat variant/RRP book published since I've been back into comics has plummeted in price within weeks.

Fact.

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

good luck with your 9.8 Batman run lol You know there are many copies that don't exist in 9.8 yet or only have 1 or a few.

My question to you is - Would you rather have an incomplete run or break down and buy a 9.6?

I ask this because I think the odds of you having all 9.8 Bats as advertised in your sig line is against you.

remember, if you buy a 9.6 you will now be one of these people

good luck with your 9.8 Batman run lol You know there are many copies that don't exist in 9.8 yet or only have 1 or a few.

My question to you is - Would you rather have an incomplete run or break down and buy a 9.6?

I ask this because I think the odds of you having all 9.8 Bats as advertised in your sig line is against you.

I'd rather have an incomplete run, but if push comes to shove, I can just slab out of my collection....

;)

I'd rather have an incomplete run, but if push comes to shove, I can just slab out of my collection....

;)

If you honestly believe you have a Bat book raw in 9.8 that doesn't exist yet why haven't you submitted it yet?

;)

If you honestly believe you have a Bat book raw in 9.8 that doesn't exist yet why haven't you submitted it yet?

$$$$

Buddy, it costs MONEY to slab!

My last TWO subs were $1000 each! The one before that was $1200, and I ain't selling 'em all to recoup. I ain't made of money, honey!

Besides, I was making a half-arse joke. Sheesh. DO I have potential 9.8s in my collection? Of course, all over the place. Is it WORTH slabbing one that "isn't on the census yet"....nah, unless it's a key, not really...and if it's my only one, I really don't want to sell it.

;)

He's related to Joe_Collector.

;)

Can I ask a slightly different question?

If you already own the 9.8 Bat book...why would you submit it? (shrug)

You own it. It's a 9.8. You love it and you're going to keep it.

Why run the risk of the shipping and the additional handling? Why spend the money? What happens when it comes back a 9.6? Don't you love it anymore?

I can understand someone dropping a chunk of coin on a key/semi-key and wanting a resto check. I can understand someone subbing as the book is likely to get resold in the near future.

What is beyond me is taking a run-of-the-mill late Bronze book...that you are already more than happy with...and spending money on getting somebody to tell you what you already know and at the same time, risking its condition. ???

;)

Can I ask a slightly different question?

If you already own the 9.8 Bat book...why would you submit it? (shrug)

You own it. It's a 9.8. You love it and you're going to keep it.

Why run the risk of the shipping and the additional handling? Why spend the money? What happens when it comes back a 9.6? Don't you love it anymore?

I can understand someone dropping a chunk of coin on a key/semi-key and wanting a resto check. I can understand someone subbing as the book is likely to get resold in the near future.

What is beyond me is taking a run-of-the-mill late Bronze book...that you are already more than happy with...and spending money on getting somebody to tell you what you already know and at the same time, risking its condition. ???

$$$$ Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all. To sell for profit to the 9.8 collector. Some people want the bragging rights of having the only 9.8. Competitive top ranking set collectors.

Look at the stupid money people pay for 9.9 moderns.

I personally have never subbed a book to cgc. The only reasons I would sub books would be if I planned to sell or for the resto check. Once I get enough books that I feel are worthy than I'll probably ship them to FL.

I said in a thread somewhere awhile back basically the same thing you stated in your last paragraph.

My philosophy (and Valiantman might can explain it better) is that I buy 9.6 slabs when I can find them for the cost of a raw 9.2-9.4 book plus the cost of slabbing and shipping, or lower.

Yes. I have bought THOUSANDS of raw comics from eBay... and 9.2 is the NORMAL grade sellers

of raw books are calling "MINT" or "NEAR MINT" or "BEST EVER SEEN".

9.2. :sumo:

Yes, you can buy 9.8 in a raw form... even on eBay. You can also get a raw 6.5 called "MINT".

It's a game... and the buyer USUALLY loses this game.

So, you can buy a bunch of (claimed) MINT raw books and end up with a few 9.8s, if you're lucky.

(You'll still have to pay to get them slabbed to re-sell them as a certified 9.8.)

Or... if you're watching closely, you can get CGC 9.6 books for the cost of a raw plus CGC grading.

Sometimes, you can get them for ONLY the cost of CGC grading.

Ebay buyers like to kid themselves that the game is

"Raw 9.8 possible vs. definite CGC 9.6"

but the REALITY is that the Ebay market is more like:

Raw 9.2 average vs. certified CGC 9.6... essentially the same price.

CGC 9.6 all the way... I'm tired of the "raw book lottery". (thumbs u

...and for those of you thinking, "Why not just buy raw books in person?"

there would first have to be some books here in order to buy them here.

;)

He's related to Joe_Collector.

Don't you have some cow tongues, or pigs brains, or whatever it is you hill folk eat, to fry up...?

My philosophy (and Valiantman might can explain it better) is that I buy 9.6 slabs when I can find them for the cost of a raw 9.2-9.4 book plus the cost of slabbing and shipping, or lower.

Yes. I have bought THOUSANDS of raw comics from eBay... and 9.2 is the NORMAL grade sellers

of raw books are calling "MINT" or "NEAR MINT" or "BEST EVER SEEN".

9.2. :sumo:

Yes, you can buy 9.8 in a raw form... even on eBay. You can also get a raw 6.5 called "MINT".

It's a game... and the buyer USUALLY loses this game.

So, you can buy a bunch of (claimed) MINT raw books and end up with a few 9.8s, if you're lucky.

(You'll still have to pay to get them slabbed to re-sell them as a certified 9.8.)

Or... if you're watching closely, you can get CGC 9.6 books for the cost of a raw plus CGC grading.

Sometimes, you can get them for ONLY the cost of CGC grading.

Ebay buyers like to kid themselves that the game is

"Raw 9.8 possible vs. definite CGC 9.6"

but the REALITY is that the Ebay market is more like:

Raw 9.2 average vs. certified CGC 9.6... essentially the same price.

CGC 9.6 all the way... I'm tired of the "raw book lottery". (thumbs u

...and for those of you thinking, "Why not just buy raw books in person?"

there would first have to be some books here in order to buy them here.

:gossip: I just got some 9.6's on the bay for 9.2 prices