• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just don't understand the modern 9.6 collector

174 posts in this topic

Who are these people that buy 9.6 slabs of modern books?

good luck with your 9.8 Batman run lol You know there are many copies that don't exist in 9.8 yet or only have 1 or a few.

My question to you is - Would you rather have an incomplete run or break down and buy a 9.6?

I ask this because I think the odds of you having all 9.8 Bats as advertised in your sig line is against you.

remember, if you buy a 9.6 you will now be one of these people

I'd rather have an incomplete run, but if push comes to shove, I can just slab out of my collection....

;)

If you honestly believe you have a Bat book raw in 9.8 that doesn't exist yet why haven't you submitted it yet?

Can I ask a slightly different question?

If you already own the 9.8 Bat book...why would you submit it? (shrug)

You own it. It's a 9.8. You love it and you're going to keep it.

Why run the risk of the shipping and the additional handling? Why spend the money? What happens when it comes back a 9.6? Don't you love it anymore?

I can understand someone dropping a chunk of coin on a key/semi-key and wanting a resto check. I can understand someone subbing as the book is likely to get resold in the near future.

What is beyond me is taking a run-of-the-mill late Bronze book...that you are already more than happy with...and spending money on getting somebody to tell you what you already know and at the same time, risking its condition. ???

$$$$ Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all. To sell for profit to the 9.8 collector. Some people want the bragging rights of having the only 9.8. Competitive top ranking set collectors.

Look at the stupid money people pay for 9.9 moderns.

I personally have never subbed a book to cgc. The only reasons I would sub books would be if I planned to sell or for the resto check. Once I get enough books that I feel are worthy than I'll probably ship them to FL.

I said in a thread somewhere awhile back basically the same thing you stated in your last paragraph.

Oh, I think I know why...I just cannot understand why. :insane:

I look at it this way. You get married to an utter, utter babe. A completely stunning example of the female sex. On a scale of 10, she's...oh, let's say a 9.8. You are besotted with her. In these circumstances, do you...

(a) Keep her permanently at home, where she is wrapped up tight in perfect condition, and treat her with the utmost respect, love and care.

Or...

(b) Pay a gigolo a chunk of change to give her a good seeing to, after which he's to report to your local community how good she is. :eek:

Oh, and if he actually reports to everyone that, whilst she's ing marvellous, she's not quite a 9.8...you decide to divorce her and get somebody else instead.

good luck with your 9.8 Batman run lol You know there are many copies that don't exist in 9.8 yet or only have 1 or a few.

My question to you is - Would you rather have an incomplete run or break down and buy a 9.6?

I ask this because I think the odds of you having all 9.8 Bats as advertised in your sig line is against you.

I'd rather have an incomplete run, but if push comes to shove, I can just slab out of my collection....

;)

If you honestly believe you have a Bat book raw in 9.8 that doesn't exist yet why haven't you submitted it yet?

Why run the risk of the shipping and the additional handling? Why spend the money? What happens when it comes back a 9.6? Don't you love it anymore?

I can understand someone dropping a chunk of coin on a key/semi-key and wanting a resto check. I can understand someone subbing as the book is likely to get resold in the near future.

What is beyond me is taking a run-of-the-mill late Bronze book...that you are already more than happy with...and spending money on getting somebody to tell you what you already know and at the same time, risking its condition. ???

$$$$ Dollar Dollar Bill Y'all. To sell for profit to the 9.8 collector. Some people want the bragging rights of having the only 9.8. Competitive top ranking set collectors.

I personally have never subbed a book to cgc. The only reasons I would sub books would be if I planned to sell or for the resto check. Once I get enough books that I feel are worthy than I'll probably ship them to FL.

I said in a thread somewhere awhile back basically the same thing you stated in your last paragraph.

Look, collector psychology isn't very cut n' dried, as we all know. There are a lot of competing factors that go into what one does with their books.

Do I want to sell some of them before the market erases any sort of value they may have? Of course, and that's a lot of pressure on slabbing and selling.

Do I enjoy being able to show people "yeah, I know how to grade (at least insofar as agreeing with CGC)?" Yes, there's a large psychic benefit from that, especially after the toll I took acquiring such copies in the first place.

Is it worth slabbing a book that will net me $5 after all is said and done? No, of course not. What a waste of time.

Is it fun pursuing the registry and competing? Absolutely. Bragging rights, so long as one prioritizes them correctly, are also fun.

Can I pull 9.8s out of my collection? Wanna see my last three subs? Do I NEED to, especially when there's no financial benefit from it? Ehhhh...not so much. Do I need to do it to "prove" to anyone that I can? Yeah, ok. Sure. Let me get right on that.

Do I need to clutter my already cluttered arrangements by erasing the space that 3-5 OTHER comics could be taking up with one slab? My books aren't going anywhere, nor are they, barring incident, going to stop being 9.8s if that's what they are now. Why slab them if I'm not content with what the market will bear right now? (conversely, see first point.)

Do I have lots of stuff that's really worth getting graded? Stuff that is worth $500 or more and is high grade? Nope. Not really.

After all...as I've said many times before, I didn't get seriously into collecting until 1990, and by then, the game was over for ANY high grade Silver, and most high grade bronze. I didn't stand a chance, so all I could do was pick well going forward.

As you may have noticed, there aren't that many books from 1990-up that are "worth money" in very high grade.

;)

I look at it this way. You get married to an utter, utter babe. A completely stunning example of the female sex. On a scale of 10, she's...oh, let's say a 9.8. You are besotted with her. In these circumstances, do you...

(a) Keep her permanently at home, where she is wrapped up tight in perfect condition, and treat her with the utmost respect, love and care.

Or...

(b) Pay a gigolo a chunk of change to give her a good seeing to, after which he's to report to your local community how good she is. :eek:

Oh, and if he actually reports to everyone that, whilst she's ing marvellous, she's not quite a 9.8...you decide to divorce her and get somebody else instead.

I'm only 12 so I don't know how to answer this but maybe neither or A.

;)

Or...

I'm only 12 so I don't know how to answer this but maybe neither or A.

12?

12?????

Ay carumba.

Well, I'm a lot older than 12 but that's one bizarro analogy for a funny book lol

You think we're not already living in Bizarro World. :insane:

Speak for yourself :insane:

My world is near perfect lol

;)

He's related to Joe_Collector.

Don't you have some cow tongues, or pigs brains, or whatever it is you hill folk eat, to fry up...?

Don't you have someone other than a backward Southern hillbilly to pester the holy hell out of...?

;)

He's related to Joe_Collector.

Don't you have some cow tongues, or pigs brains, or whatever it is you hill folk eat, to fry up...?

Don't you have someone other than a backward Southern hillbilly to pester the holy hell out of...?

We backward Southern hillbillies evidently make the best targets.

'Cuz we be dumb and not have school learnin' and such.

Who in the world thinks that every comic that has a 9.6 copy available will find a 9.8 in the same price range???

Certainly not me if that's who you were aiming at. I was just pointing out that I didn't grasp the concept of modern variant gimmicks. Every single Bat variant/RRP book published since I've been back into comics has plummeted in price within weeks.

Fact.

Heh - I don't like that fact that the boards puts the name of the person that posted last up there, like one is responding to that person. If I respond directly, I try to quote that person's post.

So no, I was not aiming anything at you.

(thumbs u

-slym

My philosophy (and Valiantman might can explain it better) is that I buy 9.6 slabs when I can find them for the cost of a raw 9.2-9.4 book plus the cost of slabbing and shipping, or lower.

Yes. I have bought THOUSANDS of raw comics from eBay... and 9.2 is the NORMAL grade sellers

of raw books are calling "MINT" or "NEAR MINT" or "BEST EVER SEEN".

9.2. :sumo:

Yes, you can buy 9.8 in a raw form... even on eBay. You can also get a raw 6.5 called "MINT".

It's a game... and the buyer USUALLY loses this game.

So, you can buy a bunch of (claimed) MINT raw books and end up with a few 9.8s, if you're lucky.

(You'll still have to pay to get them slabbed to re-sell them as a certified 9.8.)

Or... if you're watching closely, you can get CGC 9.6 books for the cost of a raw plus CGC grading.

Sometimes, you can get them for ONLY the cost of CGC grading.

Ebay buyers like to kid themselves that the game is

"Raw 9.8 possible vs. definite CGC 9.6"

but the REALITY is that the Ebay market is more like:

Raw 9.2 average vs. certified CGC 9.6... essentially the same price.

CGC 9.6 all the way... I'm tired of the "raw book lottery". (thumbs u

...and for those of you thinking, "Why not just buy raw books in person?"

there would first have to be some books here in order to buy them here.

I told you all he could explain it better.

-slym

Who in the world thinks that every comic that has a 9.6 copy available will find a 9.8 in the same price range???

Certainly not me if that's who you were aiming at. I was just pointing out that I didn't grasp the concept of modern variant gimmicks. Every single Bat variant/RRP book published since I've been back into comics has plummeted in price within weeks.

Fact.

Heh - I don't like that fact that the boards puts the name of the person that posted last up there, like one is responding to that person. If I respond directly, I try to quote that person's post.

So no, I was not aiming anything at you.

(thumbs u

-slym

I sort of gathered that, but must have had an inferiority issue for a moment or two and felt the need to justify myself. I just don't know who to... :insane: