• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have assessed my collection...and have found it lacking.

53 posts in this topic

I have been LOVING my recent reader buys, and look at my high grade stuff like it's the red headed step children. I hve 2 half boxes of unbagged books, and it make me smile.
:screwy:

I love these threads. They pop up every few months. And my answer is the same. I was happy with my old collection, joined the boards and was not as happy.

Now I have a few different things going. GA is generally low grade, SA and up high grade. I dont collect highest graded, but I found my sweet spot for books. Now I am perfectly happy with what I own. I am really happy with the collection I am building and constantly expanding upon.

Just do what makes you happy. If you enjoy low grade, buy low grade. Like HG, buy HG. Like slabs, pedigrees? Its up to you!

It's all about fun. Keep it that way and you will neer be let down.

Shooty, that's just stinkin' thinkin! Your collection is worthy. Get out

of your shame spiral and remember...It's easier to put on slippers than

to carpet the entire world!

stuart-smalley.jpg

Repeat after me....I Shootydog.....have a collection that is good enough,

high-grade enough and doggone it, people like me.

:)

Man, that Big Apple copy is smoking! Do you mind me asking where you sold it?

fellow boardie who shall remain nameless.

Fellow Canadian Boardie? :baiting:

I think i may have held that book one night back in February in NYC. A certain Canadian boardie was just estatic over his purchase.

Even I have a low/mid grade copy of that book... :blush:

I sometimes wonder if the grade-centric personality of this board has begun to affect how I look at my comics.

I love my comics but I have noticed myself taking a stricter look at the books. In some cases I am even disappointed in defects that used to not bother me. Now I seem to be nitpicking (or just picking) over the defects and find myelf wishing I had it in a higher grade. My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Should I consider this a natural progression in my collecting habit? I think the search for higher grade books, though ultimately more expensive, might be just what my mind is telling me to do. Has any raw collector experienced this attitude change?

Hi Shooty.

I think it really depends on what you're looking for and what you're compairing things to. It sounds like your comic "eye" is getting better at noticing the defects that the books have lovingly acquired over time. I tend to do the same thing your doing... I look at books and want to upgrade them. I have noticed that I only do this for the series (and covers) I truly love. I could care less if I upgrade ANY of my old Superman books. They're just cool to have but I don't "love" them the way I do my Wonder Woman books. When it comes to those I am always upgrading! For the early more expensive books I would rather spend the cash once and have a copy I love the look of than a "filler". Anything from issue 201 - 329 I'm not happy unless I have at least a 9.4. Find your passion and love and go with it. If you end up seeking out ultra high grade books for some of the books you really love go for it. If you end up figuring out, like I did, that it's only certain books you care about being high grade then run with it. The point of the matter is we all have that little caveat that makes us the unique collector in this great hobby. Go with your passion and you'll be happy.

When my collection consisted of mid grades I never worried about ruining them by reading. Now with the high grade books I'm afraid to look at them much less pull them out and read them.

I suppose it is just a natural progression, each person's journey if you will, and no one way is the right way.

FWIW, I still love my beater IM 70 and 120 books nearly as much as the 9.4 copies I also have.

I sometimes wonder if the grade-centric personality of this board has begun to affect how I look at my comics.

My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Going through something similar. I've got a handful of books that might be slab-worthy and I'll be asking the boardies for their opinions in the PGM thread before Wizard World Chicago. Not doing it for bragging rights, but so the kids can sell them (hopefully) many moons down the road and not get ripped off.

Funny how books you remember as being 'beautiful' now have spine ticks, miswraps, centering issues, scuffs, dings ... you get the picture. Education can be a real eye-opener. Doesn't mean your collection is , as long as you weren't banking on it to put multiple children through college.

If upgrading certain books is something you'd like to try (for whatever the reason), give it a go. What's the worst thing that can happen? You'll have a nicer copy of a book you've enjoyed for many years? There are worse fates. If after a while you discover this doesn't float your boat, come back to the other 90+% of the hobby that buys what they enjoy in a condition that they can afford. We'll leave a light on for ya'!

It's a natural progression. Once they get a lot of the comics they want, most collectors who stick with the hobby go in one of two general directions:

• They branch off into new titles
  • They continuously upgrade the copies they already have

I've chosen to just continuously upgrade. The best thing about collecting high grade is that it extends the hunt. The best part of collecting comics isn't owning them, it's the journey you take in hunting for them and the thrill of discovery. If you're willing to settle for low and mid grade, in general, the hunt ends sooner. If you hold out for high grade--the hunt can last years, decades, or forever. :cloud9:

The best thing about collecting high grade is that it extends the hunt. The best part of collecting comics isn't owning them, it's the journey you take in hunting for them and the thrill of discovery. If you're willing to settle for low and mid grade, in general, the hunt ends sooner. If you hold out for high grade--the hunt can last years, decades, or forever. :cloud9:

That would make a good "Twilight Zone" episode. Collector dies and goes to what he believes is Heaven. Enters a giant con with a never-ending supply of cash, finds every book he's ever wanted in gem mint for $1. Hunt ... OVER.

Bwa hah hah hah hah ... :devil:

My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Going through something similar. I've got a handful of books that might be slab-worthy and I'll be asking the boardies for their opinions in the PGM thread before Wizard World Chicago. Not doing it for bragging rights, but so the kids can sell them (hopefully) many moons down the road and not get ripped off.

Funny how books you remember as being 'beautiful' now have spine ticks, miswraps, centering issues, scuffs, dings ... you get the picture. Education can be a real eye-opener. Doesn't mean your collection is , as long as you weren't banking on it to put multiple children through college.

If upgrading certain books is something you'd like to try (for whatever the reason), give it a go. What's the worst thing that can happen? You'll have a nicer copy of a book you've enjoyed for many years? There are worse fates. If after a while you discover this doesn't float your boat, come back to the other 90+% of the hobby that buys what they enjoy in a condition that they can afford. We'll leave a light on for ya'!

I think this is it. I dont want anyone to think im ashamed of my comics. I love my comics and in particular love my Mike Grell comics and even more so my Mike Grell Warlords.

I think having become more educated on comics in general from these boards has contributed to this feeling. I have become just that much more "aware" of the defects.

Im certainly not ashamed of my collection. I proudly show off my Mike Grell focus...but I think I will branch out into other areas and continue to upgrade my "Mike" books. Its Sunday and I have nothing to do....perhaps Ill spend it surrounded by my collection and see where the books tell me to go.

I think this is it. I dont want anyone to think im ashamed of my comics. I love my comics and in particular love my Mike Grell comics and even more so my Mike Grell Warlords.

I think having become more educated on comics in general from these boards has contributed to this feeling. I have become just that much more "aware" of the defects.

Im certainly not ashamed of my collection. I proudly show off my Mike Grell focus...but I think I will branch out into other areas and continue to upgrade my "Mike" books. Its Sunday and I have nothing to do....perhaps Ill spend it surrounded by my collection and see where the books tell me to go.

Have you ever thought of how those defects got there ??

I have a Green Lantern # 100 signed by Mike Grell, that most on this board

would pfffttt at. BUT, I vividly remember sitting on my girlfriend/future wife's

back patio on a rainy day, when her dog/my future dog grabbed it and

ran out thru the back yard and I chased her. It has teeth marks on it and

some water spots. But my wife was laughing so hard, the dog wanted to

play keep away, and I was young and healthy enough to enjoy the game

of keep away, the wet clothes, diving for the dog in the wet grass and finally

surrendering to a 10lb cockapoodle. 10 or 12 years later, I told this story

to Mike Grell as he autographed it for me. THOSE are some of the minor

reasons you may cherish a comic book. Sometimes the path travelled to

fulfillment is better than the end of the quest.

You may now return to your regular weekend phil-0-sophy.

greenlantern100grellauto.jpg

The best thing about collecting high grade is that it extends the hunt. The best part of collecting comics isn't owning them, it's the journey you take in hunting for them and the thrill of discovery. If you're willing to settle for low and mid grade, in general, the hunt ends sooner. If you hold out for high grade--the hunt can last years, decades, or forever. :cloud9:

That would make a good "Twilight Zone" episode. Collector dies and goes to what he believes is Heaven. Enters a giant con with a never-ending supply of cash, finds every book he's ever wanted in gem mint for $1. Hunt ... OVER.

Bwa hah hah hah hah ... :devil:

That would make a great Pre-Hero Ditko 5-pager... :headbang:

I started this thread for people just like you:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1907803

:baiting:

I just went back and read your initial post/thread Andrew and that was a great post... :headbang:

Shooty...not sure exactly what books you collect, but I think you may be experiencing a fairly common and natural progression of the collector...I have always had a very specific focus for books which have been SA Marvels, and I have always been a run/set builder...when I amassed my initial collection in the late 60s/early 70s I took the various sets to their completed runs and had about 700-800 books...

Then I totally and completely left the hobby and schlepped my boxes of books around with me for the next 30 years or so and finally re-entered the hobby in early 2002 when I plugged into eBay...it's funny, I had created spreadsheets for my collection with grades that I still have and I can't tell you how many books (the majority :o ) I had graded at VF+ and VF/NM that were FN or FN- at best... lol

(I know, I know...like a lot of us...)

I set out to upgrade thinking my mark was 6.0 or better and that quickly became 9.0 or better when I got on the CGC train about 2005 (a move I strongly resisted but ultimately, to some degree, literally paid the price by not going there sooner...not to mention the many many eBay burns and scar tissue I collected... :boo:

I have culled my collection down to my 3 favorite titles ASM, FF and JIM as well as my runs (ASM 1-200 now is down to 1-100)...and to a large degree that was to generate cash to buy new books but I am a lot happier now with 6-8 boxes instead of double that...the pursuit is getting harder and more expensive but I wouldn't have it any other way (I mean if you're Jerry Buss and can just plunk down half a mill for a Honus Wagner card what's the thrill in that...)...

To round things out, I have a mid-grade TOS 1-38 set and a mid-grade ST 110-146 run all in raw...(gotta have some books around you can actually open, smell and read... :sumo: )...and in my sets I keep my raw undercopy and don't sell it until I've upgraded to the slab copy...

You might consider culling your set a bit and taking the funds to upgrade your favorite books and that may re-generate some fun...the one thing I've learned is you may regret letting a book go out of your collection but in this day and age they're all re-attainable so it's really a no-loss proposition... 2c

Good luck with your future collecting! :headbang:

stuart-smalley.jpg

This is great. You know what....Im gonna put my whole collection out and take a picture. Who would be curious to see it?

stuart-smalley.jpg

This is great. You know what....Im gonna put my whole collection out and take a picture. Who would be curious to see it?

I'd love to see a cool picture of your books.

You are not a worse collector if your collection does not stack up to those of others....or even your perception of those of others.

Enjoy what you have. Work towards building better if that's what makes you happy and receive enjoyment and fulfillment, but don't do it if it causes you stress or anxiety.

Don't worry how your collection compares.

Comparing possessions has been around since the dawn of time, and is a fool's game.

Be happy with what you have. The smallest, newest collection is just as pride worthy in its own way as the biggest, most expensive collection on earth. And if someone tells you different, they are only fooling themselves.

TERRIFIC RESPONSE! Intelligent, thoughtful and dead-on target...enjoy what you have and do not compare it to anyone else's collection!!!!

I love my comics but I have noticed myself taking a stricter look at the books. In some cases I am even disappointed in defects that used to not bother me. Now I seem to be nitpicking (or just picking) over the defects and find myelf wishing I had it in a higher grade. My recent decision to begin slabbing certain books has brought this new found critical eye to the front.

Should I consider this a natural progression in my collecting habit? I think the search for higher grade books, though ultimately more expensive, might be just what my mind is telling me to do. Has any raw collector experienced this attitude change?

I think marketing strategies are slowly having their way with you Shootydog. That's all. It's what marketing is designed to do, and its very effective. It first creates a need in the consumer, then the target will try and buy their way to fulfillment.

Why not take a step back and consider how much of today's grade-centric dissatisfaction is "learned" behavior from over-exposure to constant marketing hoopla? A pause to consider marketing's two main tactics: a quest for perfection and strong visuals, such as labels and packaging.

If you find that (a) what you own is not the best, but (b) you can buy it, and © you're reaching for your wallet, that's the time to think for yourself. Time to think long and think hard. Check yourself for subtle influences, the same slow careful way you'd check your body for leeches after being swept down a river.