• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many of you have all of your OA on the wall?

48 posts in this topic

Why would anyone not frame something they enjoy looking at? I have stuff framed in every room except the bathroom (humidity concerns). The difference is I don't like clutter so I don't have walls full of frames, I have everything spaced out in a rather minimalist sort of way compared to some other people's displays.

I hang it for me. Because I like looking at it. Why would I even consider what someone else might think when I'm hanging something in MY house? I understand if other people you live with object but c'mon. If your concern is someone else's opinion when hanging something in your own house I don't get why you even collect this stuff unless it's completely as an investment.

I understand the cost of framing angle and the wife angle. Outside of that, anyone that doesn't like what I have on my walls can go spoon themselves.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

I can't stomach the idea of spending 000's on a piece of ART that goes undisplayed. If that happens it's just an investment.

Why do you feel this way? (shrug)

Some folks don't want to part with any of their pieces and they simply run out of wall space so the art goes undisplayed.

There's nothing that prevents them from appreciating the art no matter where it is stored and they don't see it as just an investment.

I only have 8 pieces framed.. and at last count, I have 300+ pieces.

I often (once a week if not more) pull out my stack to just look through them and enjoy. I actually look at the ones on the walls less!

Finally, the real reason only such a small fraction is framed is because I would rather spend my money on artwork and not frames!

Malvin

Bronty, you know, I don't frame much for that very reason: cost. The few pieces of art that I own weren't that expensive, but the frames certainly would be. At some point I'll break down and get a few more framed, but for now, I'd rather spend that money on comics, not frames. (I often find myself doing the same for all collectibles and supplies...why spend on supplies when I can get more of the collectibles I like so much.)

bah if it not OA use thumbtacks

lol

Bronty, you know, I don't frame much for that very reason: cost. The few pieces of art that I own weren't that expensive, but the frames certainly would be. At some point I'll break down and get a few more framed, but for now, I'd rather spend that money on comics, not frames. (I often find myself doing the same for all collectibles and supplies...why spend on supplies when I can get more of the collectibles I like so much.)

bah if it not OA use thumbtacks

lol

:lol:

Just the thought of that makes me sick to my stomach.

My wife and I have a couple of pieces framed and on display in our house:

McKean Sandman commission piece (in my CAF gallery)

McKean Delerium commission piece (in my CAF gallery)

2 Linsner Dawn commissions (1 in my CAF, 1 not in my CAF)

Dringenberg Sandman / Death commission piece (not in my CAF)

I do plan to get more things framed and on display eventually since we do have quite a bit of wall space throughout our house, but like most collectors, there's no way that I would be able to display everything I have in my collection. I'll likely be real picky with I put up on the walls.

Later.

-Will

I can't stomach the idea of spending 000's on a piece of ART that goes undisplayed. If that happens it's just an investment.

Some folks don't want to part with any of their pieces and they simply run out of wall space so the art goes undisplayed.

There's nothing that prevents them from appreciating the art no matter where it is stored and they don't see it as just an investment.

I have to agree. Not everyone has the ability or wall space to display everything they appreciate or own.

Anyone who has been collecting for more than a couple of years will run into this problem.

I know I did. So I had this built for all the pieces that didn't find a wall spot. I put a big comfy chair and a lamp next to it and I spend hours looking at everything I love.

It has large enough drawers to fit 2 stacks of art up to 15"x23" side by side or individual pieces up to 23"x30".

It has a nice large top that I use to organize and check out my art as well.

3-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

There are lots of ways to enjoy your art collection even if you can't hang everything on the wall.

C

Just personal preference. I don't bag and board comics and keep them around in boxes. I never collected baseball cards. When I first started collecting comic art, I had almost all of it in Itoyas and at one point kind of realized I was just housing art out of sight and out of mind. I looked at my jpegs on CAF more than the art itself. And, just as a personal preference, didn't feel that financial investment was worth it. I wasn't collecting to have a collection locked away somewhere. I wanted to see and enjoy it (and have guests to my place see and enjoy it).

So, guess I just don't have the collectors mentality needed to accumulate more than I can display, and display in an elegant fashion. Which is good, cause this stuff is expensive. I want to buy less, and have what I buy mean more. I have space for a couple more pieces, then like I said, for anything I felt I had to buy after that, something would have to go.

Your mileage may vary.

J

PS I like Chris' set-up. If I were going to go that route I would even set up a large desk next to the thing for pouring through all the art so it could be enjoyed regularly. Still just not for me, but the best possible answer to the problem.

I am always slightly bemused by people who's significant others relegate their life's interests to a single room. The whole "man cave" concept.

-e.

That comes across as a bit condescending IMO. YES I and many others are limited to one room in the house but truth be told that's how we both like it. I wouldn't want a house that is littered with art from floor to ceiling. I like the fact that the wife keeps the rest of the house looking nice, and looking "normal." I've lived on my own and I know the place would have more art up (plus) but look like a freaking pigsty (minus minus minus) if it were up to me. And ultimately I like that there is a separation between the rest of the home and my space. It makes it feel like just that, *my* space. I bet lots of other guys feel the same (shrug)

Well, I only own 5 pieces of OA. 4 are hanging up. Deciding if I really want to hang up the Quasar page I purchased last month. My fiance makes fun of it. She says he likes the most flamboyant superhero because of the way he his flying over NYC.

I will try to scan it one of these days.

I have to agree. Not everyone has the ability or wall space to display everything they appreciate or own.

Anyone who has been collecting for more than a couple of years will run into this problem.

I know I did. So I had this built for all the pieces that didn't find a wall spot. I put a big comfy chair and a lamp next to it and I spend hours looking at everything I love.

It has large enough drawers to fit 2 stacks of art up to 15"x23" side by side or individual pieces up to 23"x30".

It has a nice large top that I use to organize and check out my art as well.

3-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

There are lots of ways to enjoy your art collection even if you can't hang everything on the wall.

C

you know I've seen you post that before but never really clued in to what a nice solution that is. Can't cost that much to have built hm

I am always slightly bemused by people who's significant others relegate their life's interests to a single room. The whole "man cave" concept.

-e.

That comes across as a bit condescending IMO. YES I and many others are limited to one room in the house but truth be told that's how we both like it. I wouldn't want a house that is littered with art from floor to ceiling. I like the fact that the wife keeps the rest of the house looking nice, and looking "normal." I've lived on my own and I know the place would have more art up (plus) but look like a freaking pigsty (minus minus minus) if it were up to me. And ultimately I like that there is a separation between the rest of the home and my space. It makes it feel like just that, *my* space. I bet lots of other guys feel the same (shrug)

Didn't mean for it to come across as a slight, but it does make me chuckle. It's such a foreign concept to me. I'm sure not everyone could pull it off if they wanted to.

I am very happy with the fact that our home remains just as elegant and "normal" as any other home I've ever been to. We just happen to have nicely framed comic art on the walls in the place of the generic home wall decorations we see elsewhere, and don't keep the tucked in a corner, as if it were our redheaded stepchild, or somehow weird.

I suppose the fact that much of our art is painted work, or from titles that doesn't generally feature guys in tights might help us pull it off a bit, but IMO that's not even the point.

I suppose I should consider myself lucky that my wife and I have interests that are as close as they are. It makes the whole house "our" space. In fact most of my friends and their significant others are this way for the most part, but I do have some friends and acquaintances who's wives send them to their "room" or more often than not, "the basement". I usually have a good laugh with them about it.

Bemused? Absolutely, but it's always good natured ribbing. :whistle:

-e.

I don't have any of my art framed. I thought about doing it at one time, but thought it was cost prohibitive. I also always enjoyed taking my portfolio to cons and showing my peeps my new stuff. Can't really take a bunch of framed stuff to a show (well, I guess you could, but I don't want to tote that around all day).

Now, it's not only cost prohibitive, but space and deco prohibitive as well. So, I'm glad I never went thru with any framing.

There are also pieces I enjoy owning because they are really nice images, but wouldn't mean anything to anybody, so why hang?

It's interesting that this point is part of your post. I struggle with this sometimes with all of my collectibles. I buy something because I like it. There's some sort of value for me. Yet when it comes time to display it or go that extra mile and show it off or whatever, I balk at the idea.

I know what you mean... the way I see it is the only space my wife will let me (Rich wasn't kidding!) hang in is one room. With the spacing I want and the other features of the room there's only really room for about ten pieces (I hate "louvre" style and instead think each piece "pops" more when there is less around it). So with only room for 10 pieces of art, I am extremely selective about what I frame. So I frame stuff I enjoy that visitors might enjoy too.... just on the premise that when people visit I want them to feel comfortable... maybe get a kick out of the art, as much as is possible for a non-collector... as opposed to feeling too "weirded" out because I'm hanging the cover to Strawberry Shortcake #1 or something.

hm

My husband's wife, loves having art on our walls...

I only have about 10 pieces up, because I own other art and don't have enough room, but once I decide on more "forever" keepers, I will put them up, too.

-e.

Twice with the bemusement..... kind sir, was bemused the word-of-the-day in your vocabulary builder? :foryou::jokealert:

There are also pieces I enjoy owning because they are really nice images, but wouldn't mean anything to anybody, so why hang?

It's interesting that this point is part of your post. I struggle with this sometimes with all of my collectibles. I buy something because I like it. There's some sort of value for me. Yet when it comes time to display it or go that extra mile and show it off or whatever, I balk at the idea.

I know what you mean... the way I see it is the only space my wife will let me (Rich wasn't kidding!) hang in is one room. With the spacing I want and the other features of the room there's only really room for about ten pieces (I hate "louvre" style and instead think each piece "pops" more when there is less around it). So with only room for 10 pieces of art, I am extremely selective about what I frame. So I frame stuff I enjoy that visitors might enjoy too.... just on the premise that when people visit I want them to feel comfortable... maybe get a kick out of the art, as much as is possible for a non-collector... as opposed to feeling too "weirded" out because I'm hanging the cover to Strawberry Shortcake #1 or something.

hm

My husband's wife

I bet you two have a lot in common!

hm

My husband's wife

I bet you two have a lot in common!

I couldn't resist

^^

I live in a cottage and only hang art in the living room and den. I only have about 30 pieces hanging on the walls. These are either the top pieces in my collection, they have already been framed when I got them, or the limited number of pinups or vampi prelims. I figure I have less than 5% of my collection on the wall.

-e.

Twice with the bemusement..... kind sir, was bemused the word-of-the-day in your vocabulary builder? :foryou::jokealert:

Just re-enforcing its use, lest I run afoul of your vile wrath. :grin::kidaround:

-e.