• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old 1987 ad's from Danny and Gerry Ross LQQK!

23 posts in this topic

I actually went to the store that year abd bought the Captain America #1.

The third one from the right.

We were early when we arrived, so Danny was just unpacking his books. Every single one of these books were there. It was an awsome sight.

Just looking at these prices makes me want to weep!

I just dug these out today, and I felt like I just went back in time.

These ad's are so clear like it was yesterday!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/75070/gerryross.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/75070/dannydup.jpg

Arg... where did I put my crucifix and holy water? Hell, it's only Ablue, I bet a medium-sized mousetrap and naked pictures of his sister would do the trick...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeah, but those books weren't even close to being NM 9.4 mad.gif

and these books were all restored with colour touch and trimmed mad.gif

You said it! I've never purchased from Dupcak, so I can't comment on him, but in the mid-80s I bought X-Men 2, 3 & 4, Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Avengers 2, 3 and 4, all in "VF" from Gerry Ross. Well, they all came back as VG to F, but since I was more relaxed about grade at the time, was used to dealers overgrading, and was paying what seemed like a low price, even then, I didn't make anything of it and just kept the books.

Fast forward to 2002, when I decided to slab them and sell them, since I had changed focus to high grade DC. ALL of them came back as restored, with color touch, except (miraculously) the X-Men 2 (the guy with the magic marker must have missed it somehow). And CGC's grades pretty much confirmed my own grading assessment. What a complete bunch of crooks! And why restore/color touch a bunch of books in this grade, to get something from VG- to VG+ or Fine? It just didn't make sense.

Arg... where did I put my crucifix and holy water? Hell, it's only Ablue, I bet a medium-sized mousetrap and naked pictures of his sister would do the trick...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hell Dic% head. I don't have a sister, but YOUR Mother and sister would do just fine.

Back in the early 80s (when I was 12 or 13) I ordered FF 52 from a Robert Crestohl ad. At the time it was a big production.... sending a letter and check to CANADA and all.

I waited a very long time.... my parents -- who advised against this risky transaction in the first place -- were convinced that I had been ripped off. Eventually a beat up padded envelope arrived, I just knew I was in for a disappointment. I can still remember the sinking feeling when I opened the envelope... the comic was not great at all. I paid for VF/NM and it was VG at best.

I never admitted my disappointment though because that would have meant my parents were RIGHT! 893whatthe.gif

There's few things worse to a kid than the feeling of getting ripped off... frown.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hell Dic% head. I don't have a sister, but YOUR Mother and sister would do just fine.

Such language! Not nearly as bad as the language in the PM you just sent me:

"Hey [!@#%^&^]. What the [!@#%^&^] is your problem trolling me and jacking my threads?

You have a problem with me? then settle it off the board and face me one on one.

I have no issues with you, so back off geek!

If you continue this harrassment I will notify the moderator.

Still pissed that your mom is half man half woman?

Comon get off that toilet seat grudge and grow up! "

Speaking of harassment, isn't sending threatening PMs a violation of the rules? You are now: Methblue. AHammer? Wait... THAT explains why you were putting up Hammer's old ads! ABLUE IS HAMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

I never admitted my disappointment though because that would have meant my parents were RIGHT! 893whatthe.gif

There's few things worse to a kid than the feeling of getting ripped off... frown.gif

Too true, but one of those things that's worse than getting ripped off is having you parents be right - especially about anything relating to comic books! At least you avoided that humiliation...

Back in the early 80s (when I was 12 or 13) I ordered FF 52 from a Robert Crestohl ad. At the time it was a big production.... sending a letter and check to CANADA and all.

I waited a very long time.... my parents -- who advised against this risky transaction in the first place -- were convinced that I had been ripped off. Eventually a beat up padded envelope arrived, I just knew I was in for a disappointment. I can still remember the sinking feeling when I opened the envelope... the comic was not great at all. I paid for VF/NM and it was VG at best.

you know what? i hope those two jerk off's robert and gerry are reading this thread and feeling like a HUGE sack of [!@#%^&^]! 893whatthe.gif i hope they feel MIGHTY damn good about themselves RIPPING of a little kid back then. 893naughty-thumb.gif they ripped me off to back in 1990 when i was 18..... thieves and crooks! mad.gif

Picture this. It's 1966. I'm in the 7th Grade. I order a comic from Howard Rogofsky via mail. I send a money order. This also is a big deal. I get home from school. The slip is there from the post office that my package has arrived and is waiting for me. I am sick with excitement. I race the two miles to the post office. Pick up my package.

It is Avengers #1.

In VG/NM shape.

Price: $5.00

Kill me now.

Picture this. It's 1966. I'm in the 7th Grade. I order a comic from Howard Rogofsky via mail. I send a money order. This also is a big deal. I get home from school. The slip is there from the post office that my package has arrived and is waiting for me. I am sick with excitement. I race the two miles to the post office. Pick up my package.

It is Avengers #1.

In VG/NM shape.

Price: $5.00

Kill me now.

What's VG/NM?