• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terrible news concerning nik.

623 posts in this topic

So sad. I only got to meet him once, but he was definitely one of the best guys in the hobby. It's too bad I didn't get to know him better. All my sympathy to his wife and children. :(

Nik's wife also said thank you very much for the flowers that skypinkblu sent on our behalf earlier and that Nik was being surrounded with love. He is not in any pain, and is resting comfortably.

I've typed and deleted several posts....I'm just speechless.....

:sorry:

Me too. Then I tried to +1 this and realized how horribly inappropriate that would feel too. Nik was great, even to those of us that didn't know him as well. That speaks volumes about a person, in my opinion.

-Rob-

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

The Niky we know could not be saved. The Niky I know would not live like that.

Unfortunately we all lost Nik on Saturday. The fact he is still holding on is a testament to the mans will power and inner strength. The good part is he is not feeling any pain, wish the same could be said of his family and friends.

After speaking with Nik's wife earlier this evening, the Nik we all know and love is more than likely gone.

Niky had what is classified as a massive stroke. Due to the carotid artery being blocked, the entire left side of his brain was severely damaged. It will not regenerate, not even with drastic measures, i.e.drilling to alleviate pressure. His neurologist is Tedy Bruschi's doctor. It was concluded that even if they drilled he would be left with no language, receptive or expressive, no memory, no cognition, he would be on a ventilator, feeding tube and catheter.

:(:sorry:

Unfortunately we all lost Nik on Saturday. The fact he is still holding on is a testament to the mans will power and inner strength. The good part is he is not feeling any pain, wish the same could be said of his family and friends.

Nik was the glue of this forum. He was the one that could always get me to step back & realize that it really is just about a bunch of funny books.

Thanks for everything Nik. I miss you already brother. :(

My condolences go out to Niks family.

I refuse to believe that it's only a matter of time.

Come back Nikolas

Damn straight, it is not. Regardless of what doctors may diagnose, the truth is there is a lot of unknowns for brain injuries and miraculous recoveries have happened.

I did not know Nik and I am not trying to give false hope, only a reminder that there is always hope.

:cry:

I didn't even really know the guy... so why am I crying?

-Neil B.

Nik,

It is hard to put into words how I feel right now. From the day I joined the boards four years ago, you were the most stand-up guy that I chatted with. Unbeknowst to me at the time, we had done business several times on ebay and even then your character seemed to be above and beyond what I was used to on there. I never had the opportunity to meet you personally, but feel that you were a friend. I think alot of us on here feel that way. It is very hard to hear news like this for someone you care about. You are going to be alright. There is more to this than our temporary existence on this planet. You are going to be fine....I truly believe that. We love you Nik.

To Nik's family,

I cannot tell you how sorry and how much hurt I have in my heart for you right now. Your husband and father is a good, decent man. No words that I or anyone can say will take away the pain that you are feeling. Please know that we will do anything we can to help you. Take comfort in the fact that your husband/dad is respected and loved. God bless you all.

Scott Pearson

:sorry: I'm really sad about this. I didn't know Nik anywhere, anywhere near as well as some of you do, but I enjoyed my friendly little PMs with him all the same. My memory might be fuzzy, but I am pretty sure he did quite the number on his hand with a snowblower and remember giving him a friendly ribbing about always thinking of him whenever I snow blowed my drive way. He was a good guy here and he's going to be sorely missed.

He and his family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers--as will those of you here who are his friends. :(

I have been trying to figure out what to say or do. I still don't know. I gave my wife and daughter extra hugs tonight. I know it doesn't help him or his family, but I don't know what else to do.

I remember during the grading contests I would PM him my guess with a header like, "Grade #5....or the best 3 years of my life", and he would write something funny back. He was a lot of fun to talk to, and he will be missed for a long time.

Whatever happens Nik, you won't be forgotten.

Alex Hunter

I will always appreciate how nik was so kind to a noob during the first grading contest I participated in and never gave me more than a crazy :P - learning to grade for me was done at the school of nik

:sorry:

My God, I'm gonna miss him, but by damn, I am thankful that I got to know him. To not to have known Nik personally would have been a greater loss than losing him now. :sumo:

I was thinking the same thing earlier, Jim. To have known Nik and to have been a close friend of his is something to be very proud of and thankful for. However, you can see from so many of these posts that there were countless people that talked to him on the boards, had transactions with him, or got advice from him, and every one of these people were proud to have "known" him. Even folks that have never spoken to him, but they've read his posts and "felt" like they've known him, all of these people know what a great guy he is and they can see it. Myself, of course I'm sad and quite shaken up, but I am so proud to have met this great guy and shook his hand. At funerals, the priest will tell you that we're here not to mourn the loss of someone, but to celebrate their life. That may seem corny to some, but it's absolutely true. We all must focus on every little positive thing that Nik brought to this world. Focus on the good times, the laughter and smiles, the stories, the friends and family, and we can't forget the comic books and his legendary grading contests. This guy has touched so many and I'll bet you he never really realized it. I'm sad that he's leaving us so soon, but I'm happier than a pig in to have known him.

You're the best of the best, Nik! :foryou:

Andy

I don't know how else to say it, I'm going to miss my friend.

I probably will not be able to stay for this year's Chicago forum dinner... but I hope someone there will raise a glass to Nik and give him a toast. It is the first time I feel like a dinner will actually have some solemn overtones.

It is a testament though, to how many lives he touched, even in a small way, through this community. He understood the balance between being passionate about a hobby, and putting your family first, which he did.