• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF15 Qualified CGC 5.0 Advice

29 posts in this topic

p38011.jpg

Whats the best course of action to get this book complete while maintaining 5.0 grade.

1. Replacing the missing 3 center wraps from another AF15??

OR

2. Detaching the covering and marrying to a coverless AF15??

OR

3. Leave the book alone as is

I assume it will be a qualified grade in either case (#1 or #2)

The purpose is to make this book complete

All suggestions are welcome

p38011.jpg

Whats the best course of action to get this book complete while maintaining 5.0 grade.

OR

OR

Assuming the purpose is to make the book complete, the best thing to do is to replace the missing 3 center wraps from a cadaver copy of the interior of AF#15.

You won't get a green label in that case. You'll get a purple label. But a purple label 5.0 that is complete is worth more than an incomplete green label 5.0.

The question is whether the cost of finding the three center wraps and the work in getting them inserted is worth it. The answer to that is probably no.

if you go with option 2, then i think you will probably get a universal 2.0 or 3.0. I don't think it would be considered restoration that case.

He would get a green label 5.0 in that case, assuming the new interior isn't significantly damaged. There is no way to complete the book and get a blue label.

OK, bit of education for me here. How come marrying a cover ends up in a Qualified label and isn't considered restoration?

OK, bit of education for me here. How come marrying a cover ends up in a Qualified label and isn't considered restoration?

It's a semantic thing. There is no "foreign" matter on the book, therefore it isn't "restoration." You may agree or disagree with CGC's position, but that's the rationale. It doesn't really matter though. What matters is whether the buyer knows what he is buying, and in this case he does, regardless of what color label is used.

It's a semantic thing. There is no "foreign" matter on the book, therefore it isn't "restoration." You may agree or disagree with CGC's position, but that's the rationale. It doesn't really matter though. What matters is whether the buyer knows what he is buying, and in this case he does, regardless of what color label is used.

Thanks for that FFB. I don't really have a stance on the matter as to whether I agree or disagree, it was just something I needed to understand as I was under the impression that a book with a married cover was considered a restored book.

I see where you're coming from about the buyer knowing what he's getting, and I suppose that's the main thing in these sort of cases.

Scott is correct as far as the CGC stance goes here but it is a point that always irked me. To me, there is foreign matter on the book, or better, foreign to that book. A cover (or interior pages) that were foreign to that book until someone joined them in matrimony. To me such has always has been restoration. CGC really does have a quirked view of what resto is.

CGC really does have a quirked view of what resto is.

I've found there to be quite a variety of opinion about what is and is not considered resto. What's acceptable to one person might horrify another. When you pay for a CGC slab you are paying for, among other things, their opinion on restoration, which you are free to ignore and enjoy the book for what it is (or isn't).

Assuming the purpose is to make the book complete, the best thing to do is to replace the missing 3 center wraps from a cadaver copy of the interior of AF#15.

You won't get a green label in that case. You'll get a purple label. But a purple label 5.0 that is complete is worth more than an incomplete green label 5.0.

The question is whether the cost of finding the three center wraps and the work in getting them inserted is worth it. The answer to that is probably no.

How about marrying pages from a reprint or other type of recreation? Purple label or Green label?

Scott is correct as far as the CGC stance goes here but it is a point that always irked me. To me, there is foreign matter on the book, or better, foreign to that book. A cover (or interior pages) that were foreign to that book until someone joined them in matrimony. To me such has always has been restoration. CGC really does have a quirked view of what resto is.

I agree. On the other hand, as you know, I hate the entire concept of the purple label because I believe it has added unnecessary stigma to minimally restored books like the Church copies of Adventure Comics #40 and More Fun #52. I'd like to see the purple label and green label done away with completely and have all books except signature series be the same color label, so it doesn't really make much difference to me except on a semantic level.

How about marrying pages from a reprint or other type of recreation? Purple label or Green label?

Probably green, but I've never seen it done. I can't imagine why anyone would marry a reprint to an original when cadaver copies are usually pretty easy to come by for most books.

As for xerox cover recreations, I can't remember whether CGC gives those a purple or a green label. I don't pay much attention to those books because they are not in collectible condition to me.

Probably green, but I've never seen it done. I can't imagine why anyone would marry a reprint to an original when cadaver copies are usually pretty easy to come by for most books.

As for xerox cover recreations, I can't remember whether CGC gives those a purple or a green label. I don't pay much attention to those books because they are not in collectible condition to me.

They are graded like a coverless copy. Either NG or .5. I don't remember which.

I can't imagine why anyone would marry a reprint to an original when cadaver copies are usually pretty easy to come by for most books.

Agreed, and the only "authentic" reprint that comes to mind was a square-bound (Marvel Tales #1). Thus, an attempt at using this would be near impossible as the "wraps" wouldn't be accurate, or wouldn't be at all. Short of marriage from a "cadaver" copy, any substitution would be more than obvious.

CGC really does have a quirked view of what resto is.

I've found there to be quite a variety of opinion about what is and is not considered resto. What's acceptable to one person might horrify another. When you pay for a CGC slab you are paying for, among other things, their opinion on restoration, which you are free to ignore and enjoy the book for what it is (or isn't).

(thumbs u :gossip: They also, on occasion, make "mistakes" :grin:

OR

OR

ST,

It all depends on your specific end-purpose. If you are selling, option #3 may be your best avenue, as others more qualified may think they can do a better job of executing options #1 or #2.

The choice between option #1 or #2 would best be determined by what, if anything, becomes available to you (at a reasonable cost). For example, if you were to find just the 3 missing wraps, the answer is obviously #1. If you were to find a complete coverless copy (which show up frequently) I would lean toward #2 depending on certain factors like PQ, staple placement, and other physical limitations that may present themself on inspection.

I assume by the fact you had it slabbed that you are selling.

I wouldn't either, it was just a suggestion for the OP. Personally, I would just leave this book as it is.