• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Marvel Picture Frame books
22 22

4,788 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, namisgr said:

My recent upgrading is decidedly more modest:

FF120A.thumb.jpg.fcdae9bbf5d573975940c2b1bb51eeba.jpg   CapMarvel23A.thumb.jpg.44b39232fbe5160eff558c33018fb00f.jpg

Amazing that there are black picture frame covers in this kind of condition still raw.  It must be a special kind of thrill to hunt them down.

May I ask, where do you find them -- and why do you think the seller(s) are willing to sell them raw instead of submitting them?

Or to put it another way ... if the book in question is, say, 9.6, what percentage of FMV for a graded copy do you think is a fair price to pay for a raw copy (factoring in that you have no guarantee it would grade out the way you hope)?

FWIW, I have not bought raw BA / SA / CA books in forever, but I've tried buying raw pre-hero books and haven't had great luck getting the grades I was expecting back from CGC.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:01 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

May I ask, where do you find them -- and why do you think the seller(s) are willing to sell them raw instead of submitting them?

While most of my raw picture frame collection was put together over years attending shows, and a very small handful are the copies I bought off the rack and never had slabbed, all of the recent upgrades are books cracked out of slabs.  For instance, the FF120 was graded by CGC 9.0 and the Captain Marvel 9.2.  With my collecting reduced to the rare picture frame book, I no longer have the want list to look for books at shows or on the Bay.

When it ultimately comes time to sell this collection, it won't be done looking for any percentage of FMV of a slabbed counterpart.  Instead, I'll take the slabbing fee out of my asking price and provide another discount for selling in bulk lots.  Rather than having to sell them as ~275 single books, they'll be grouped into lots either by publication month or title and sold that way.  I won't be looking to maximize profit, just to re-coup most of cost.

Edited by namisgr

On 4/2/2024 at 7:39 PM, namisgr said:

While most of my raw picture frame collection was put together over years attending shows, and a very small handful are the copies I bought off the rack and never had slabbed, all of the recent upgrades are books cracked out of slabs.  For instance, the FF120 was graded by CGC 9.0 and the Captain Marvel 9.2.  With my collecting reduced to the rare picture frame book, I no longer have the want list to look for books at shows or on the Bay.

When it ultimately comes time to sell this collection, it won't be done looking for any percentage of FMV of a slabbed counterpart.  Instead, I'll take the slabbing fee out of my asking price and provide another discount for selling in bulk lots.  Rather than having to sell them as ~275 single books, they'll be grouped into lots either by publication month or title and sold that way.  I won't be looking to maximize profit, just to re-coup most of cost.

:takeit:

On 4/19/2024 at 9:50 AM, RickHigh said:

I'm lovin' my new picture frames!!

IMG_1361.jpeg

That DD 91 is a beyotch in grade. I bet I've bought close to a dozen, always to find some gnarly flaw I missed when I first found it. I totally LOVE Gil Kane covers during this time FRAME( Pun intended) ... I was blessed to be picking them up at the newstand. I had trouble finding them in sharp condition, even when they were brand spanking new. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

FF 126.jpg