• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kudos to Ze-Man & Nelson (Action 20 Project)

16 posts in this topic

Earlier this year I acquired a copy of Action 20 from Primetime. One of my favorite supes covers. The book presented very well but had a number of problems includng a detached cover, lots of tape, and tears on the first few wraps. I thought the book made for a nice restoration project and submitted the book to Kenny and Matt. After doing some masterful work on removing the tape, re-attaching cover, and sealing the wrap tears, I couldn't be more pleased with the book. I opted not to go with any color touch on the cover because, frankly, I just don't think it needs it.

Before and afters:

Front cover before

Action20coverbefore0001.jpg

Front cover after

action20aftercover0001.jpg

Back cover before

action20bcbefore0001.jpg

Back cover after

action20bcafter0001.jpg

Sweet restoration job! Kudos to Kenny and Matt, and YOU have a nice book, Sardo Numspar!

P.S. agreed on the colour touch question... that book doesn't need it!

I couldn't be happier with how this turned out and my expectations were exceeded. It is my belief that CGC would rate this as slight resto. However, the repair of the total spine split may bump it to moderate. Ill defer to Kenny on this.

The total cost of the resto was about $300. If I just wanted the tape removal it would have been less. Had I opted for the color touch and wash it would have been about another $300.

Very nice. I have two low grade early Actions with lots of tape that I have been thinking about sending to Matt. About how much does tape removal cost? Do you know how CGC would rate the restoration, slight or moderate? I would not want any color touch either- I just don't like the tape.

Its hard to tell from your picture how bad the tape looks on the 18. However, the 15 would be greatly improved with profiessional tape removal and some tear seals. Both of your books present very nicely.

book looks awesome, to bad there is still some indication of where the tape was removed

True, however, if you saw the nasty old brown tape before the resto you could see there is really no way to totally get rid of all residue. Maybe a cleaning could have gotten rid of more, but I wanted to limit the restoration as much as possible. I am shocked at how well the back cover tape was removed and the almost complete lack of any tape residue there.

Very nice. I have two low grade early Actions with lots of tape that I have been thinking about sending to Matt. About how much does tape removal cost? Do you know how CGC would rate the restoration, slight or moderate? I would not want any color touch either- I just don't like the tape.

Its hard to tell from your picture how bad the tape looks on the 18. However, the 15 would be greatly improved with profiessional tape removal and some tear seals. Both of your books present very nicely.

The 18 is not bad- the tape is just at the corners. The 15 has tape running the entire spine length. Both of them otherwise are nice, solid books. Thanks for the post! I will let you know,

Kenny does some really nice work! Really, there's such a difference in the presentation from before and after in your book, and it reinforces in my mind how good a thing restoration can be for the books in people's personal collections. (thumbs u There's a thread of his work on a Planet Comics issue I believe over in the Restoration thread. I've got a book I'll be sending him soon (once it arrives) and can't wait to see what magic he does with it!

I just now saw this thread, thanks for the kind words. As usual I am happy, but humbled at the praise. Makes me want to work all the harder.

I recall this book was in really great overall condition to start with and once the spine was sealed up it felt great. I wanted to keep it. :devil: